Best Practices - CosmosEX Mini

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DrWoo
Atarian
Atarian

Best Practices - CosmosEX Mini

Postby DrWoo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 pm

I have a mini connected to my STe and I'm using the HDDRIVER. I'm looking for some best practices on how to get apps and files from my Mac onto the SD card that I have configured to be several partitions on? I.e. what's the best way to get files on and off via the CosmosEX Mini?

I'm assuming that the Shared Drive is probably the best approach, but I've have serious issues with it. I'll open the drive on the ST and sometime the drive is blank, or I'll double click on a folder and the directory is empty, but I know its not. I've tried using several Macs in my house and all have resulted in the same issues.

Couple things. I'm using a Raspberry PI 2B with the mini and I'm using the SD card with the CE Image that Jookie provided. Also I'm connected to my network vi WIFI and I've updated the CE over the network.

Regards,
Dr.Woo!

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Best Practices - CosmosEX Mini

Postby Beetle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:13 am

Hi,

i also got my MicroCosmos these days. Its really tiny, now i wonder - is it compatible with a RaspberryPi zero?

How do you folks mount it into your Atari? Or do you use it external?
What Atari do you want to modify today?

arjanvandermeer
Atarian
Atarian

Postby arjanvandermeer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi,

Been playing with the uCosmos for the last few days. It's with the new RPi3.

My setup is:
- Connected externally by hanging behind the STe. It's not very clean, but it isn't an issue between the other RPi's and the Arduino's laying there ;-)
- Everything connected over Wifi
- Raspbian updated to latest software updates and root password changed ;-)
- I've configured my Fritz.Box WLAN router as a NAS which exports a drive towards my MacBook and the uCosmos
- The uCosmos mounts the drive over SMB as a shared drive (N:\)

Other options would be:
- NFS export a directory on my MacBook and mount the MacBook drives on uCosmos
- Mount the RPi drive on my MacBook using MacFuse and SSHFS
- Mounting USB sticks; seemed to work

I'd be interested to hear other experiences/views...

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nanard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

@DrWoo: Why don't you use FAT/FAT32 formatted USB sticks (translated mode on the CosmosEx) ?
It works well.
Avoid too much file in the same directory, and too much directory levels
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Beetle wrote:Hi,

i also got my MicroCosmos these days. Its really tiny, now i wonder - is it compatible with a RaspberryPi zero?

Mine runs externally just fine.
I only used a mounted network drive sofar, also from my NAS which worked fine.
I plan to try USB keys as well. With these features I hardly see use for the SD card slot in my case.

Or is it possible to detach the RaspPi and use the upper Cosmos part on its own like a Satandisk?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm

nanard wrote:@DrWoo: Why don't you use FAT/FAT32 formatted USB sticks (translated mode on the CosmosEx) ?
It works well.
Avoid too much file in the same directory, and too much directory levels

YES I am finding this now.. not sure I understand whats going on.

SO I have been going through archives etc.. downloading zip and other compressed disk images etc..

I expand them on the translated USB - one I am using is just 1 gb - formated on pc. The microcosmos reads it fine..

But file copying is not working. I am using at the moment PP drivers for the SDcard. the CE_DD for the shared(n:) and translated(g:) USB drive, or drives, I have had 2 sticks in the same time..
Copying between ASCI drives or directories (PP driver) works great. Copying within the translated or off the translated is not working. By not working what I mean is .. it will start the operation but after 1 directory and 1 file in that directory it simply drops out of the operation and returns to the desktop.. does not bomb, but does not complete it either.

This is on a 1.04 stfm - I wonder if this is the issue, no support for long filenames etc..?

James
Last edited by Bikerbob on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:
Beetle wrote:Hi,

Mine runs externally just fine.
I only used a mounted network drive sofar, also from my NAS which worked fine.
I plan to try USB keys as well. With these features I hardly see use for the SD card slot in my case.

Or is it possible to detach the RaspPi and use the upper Cosmos part on its own like a Satandisk?

See my post - please try copying as I have said.. so you are using JUST The CE_DD driver then? So you have no ASCI to CE communication going on?

I do think I have read, that you can take the top part off and just use it as a HDD emu.

James

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Bikerbob wrote:See my post - please try copying as I have said.. so you are using JUST The CE_DD driver then? So you have no ASCI to CE communication going on?

I do think I have read, that you can take the top part off and just use it as a HDD emu.

James

ACSI is always active as it is used to configure the device from the ST. That is what I did until I had my network settings entered correctly. So ACSI did work for me yes.

Harddisk driver wise, I did not use any driver yet and accessed the device only through the supplied drivers which works fine.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 pm

ACSI drives would be the microSD card on the microcosmos - It will not work without a driver on the card. ICD(never have been able to get it to work) PP driver or HDDriver. You said you were not using the microsd card only the network share. Thats why I asked.

James

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes, to get the driver on the card, run it from a floppy or the network drive.
Sorry if I am unable to deduct the intention of your question. Maybe you need to rephrase it?

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”