Strange behaviour from CosmosEx (and RPi)

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

mib5150
Atari freak
Atari freak

Strange behaviour from CosmosEx (and RPi)

Postby mib5150 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I bought my CosmosEx like a year (or more!) ago, but I haven't got around to start using it until now, but something strange is going on with it.

First, according to the CosmosEx homepage the CosmosEx is supposed to work as an ordinary Satandisk without an RPi installed. Well, not here. It refuses to boot my SD-card without an RPi installed.

Second, when I install an RPi the CosmosEx has no problems reading the SD-card, but instead it refuses to acknowledge the USB-ports and Network on the RPi. I have tried to boot up the RPi using the CosmosEx-distro inside and outside the CosmosEx. Outside it finds USB and Network, but when it is installed in the CosmosEx it won't find any of it. I have tried two different RPi:s with the same result.

Any clues or ideas? I really hope my CosmosEx isn't faulty.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Strange behaviour from CosmosEx (and RPi)

Postby AdamK » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:22 am

To see USB.Network drives, ST must boot with CosmosEx driver. That happens when you have no SD card plugged in, as there is no other possibility. When you have your SD card plugged in, it all depends on your configuration settings. Most likely you configured your card in RAW mode as ACSI 0 device, so ST boots directly from card without any CosmosEx drivers, so USB/Network drives (in Translated mode) are not visible.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

mib5150
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mib5150 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Perhaps I was a bit unclear here.

The distro running the RPi behaves differently depending on if the RPi is hooked to the CosmosEx or not.

Unconnected to the CosmosEx Yocto finds usb-ports and network.

Connected to the CosmosEx it doesn't find any of it.

nukebloodaxe
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nukebloodaxe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:22 am

For clarification:

What type of Atari machine do you have the CosmosEx installed into?

Does the machine show the CosmosEx detection screen during boot?

Do you have both the floppy and the ACSI connectors connected to the Atari machine?

Is the Atari Keyboard connection to the CosmosEx plugged in, and the right way around? (this is not as simple as it sounds)

Which version Raspberry Pi is hooked up to the CosmosEx? (This makes a big difference, as some CosmosEx units are designed for the Raspberry Pi 2 as opposed to the Raspberry Pi 1.)

I'm just establishing a base-line here, it'll make the rest of the diagnostics a lot simpler for everyone once we know a bit about what is going on with your unit, and what it is attempting to talk to.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”