Writes to SD-card on CosmosEx aborted - any ideas?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

tfhh
Atarian
Atarian

Writes to SD-card on CosmosEx aborted - any ideas?

Postby tfhh » Thu May 26, 2016 8:02 am

Hi all,

I have some trouble with a CosmosEx (V1) installed internal in a 1040 STE and seeking for hints...

The 1040 STE is mostly unmodded, only TOS 2.06 instead of TOS 1.62 is installed (and 4 MB RAM). RAM is checked twice. The machine itself works absolutely fine with a external Megafile 60 HDD. The DMA-chip ist the PLCC-44 one - as mentioned here in the forum it´s "a good one".

The CosmosEx (purchased with Raspberry PI from Jookie) replaces the internal FDD and is also connected to the external ACSI port. Firmware and so on is updated to the newest ones, the CE_CONF.PRG reports "no newer version". I use a SanDisk 2 GB SD-Cart and a Samsung 4 GB SDHC-Cart for native emulation. Registrered version of HDDRIVER 9.05 is used. First partition is 15 MB GEM, 2nd and 3rd partition is 255 MB BGM. Formatting, Booting and so on - all fine. In the CE_CONF.PRG only the ASCSI ID 0 is active with "SD", all other are OFF. I put the CD_DD.PRG in the AUTO folder. There´s nothing else in the AUTO folder. Also no ACC´s or other TSR tools.

Booting up the machine works fine. I mapped the P: to a share of my Windows-Server, cool - works good. I use a FAT32 formatted 4 GB USB stick as translated drive H: - works good.

Now I want copy several games and demos to the native, atari-formatted partitions. Even I use the Ethernet-Share or the USB stick as a source... copying (for example: 87 folders with 897 files) starts, but after approx 2/3 of the data the copying is aborted with a "general error". Sometimes the partition I wrote to is unreadable or directory shows garbage. When I reset (using RESET button or CTRL-ALT-DEL) I got 4 bombs. I must switch off the STE, start again, then partitions are OK. In same cases the last written file is incomplete (inconsistency of FAT and directory), but this could be fixed easily. In this example, over 50 MByte of data were written, THEN the error occurs.

I checked the written files (until error occurs) , the content is okay - it´s equal to it´s source. So this sounds like the typical DMA problem often read in relation with CosmosEx or Ultrasatan. I tried it several times... copying 200-300 files works, but even more... issue appears. I set HDDRIVER to "800" additional folders. Try changing the cache buffer size. No effect at all.

Any ideas?

Jurgen

Estrayk
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Writes to SD-card on CosmosEx aborted - any ideas?

Postby Estrayk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:49 pm

I had the same problem except I used Ppera/petari HD driver, so I had to use ICD driver and all works fine now. try with ICD driver. Its free.
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Writes to SD-card on CosmosEx aborted - any ideas?

Postby Jookie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:24 am

Damn, another SD card issue - I have to look deeper in this one. In the meantime (erm, I'm replying 6 months late :( ) you could try the simple things, like:
- other power supply and power supply cable (if powered through USB)
- use USB power supply (if powered from internal supply)
- use more and different SD cards - bigger, smaller, newer, older - anything you can find at home
- use different driver - as recommended by Estrayk
- use smaller + less partitions
- use Kobold for copying, turn on verification to make sure the new data are alright...

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”