Functionality if only floppy connector used ?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Starfrog
Atarian
Atarian

Functionality if only floppy connector used ?

Postby Starfrog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 am

If I use only the floppy connector of the CosmosEx what do I lose ? I am assuming everything but just wondered if the floppy functions would maybe still work ?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Functionality if only floppy connector used ?

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 am

Starfrog wrote:If I use only the floppy connector of the CosmosEx what do I lose ? I am assuming everything but just wondered if the floppy functions would maybe still work ?

If only floppy connector / cable is connected, you will get only floppy functionality, and you can upload and select the floppy images through web interface from your PC, using a web browser. It should still work that way.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Currently you would be limited to read only access to the floppy image(s). Write access it not yet implemented.

@Jookie; do you happen to have any idea as of to when expect (even a rudimentary) write implementation to FD?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm

wietze wrote:@Jookie; do you happen to have any idea as of to when expect (even a rudimentary) write implementation to FD?

Last time someone ask about this (was it you? ;) ) I said: half of the year 2015, which is now like almost year ago ;) Things got complicated with SCSI interface and support. Now I'm finishing Sting (among other things) and also some app for start speed up, so I'll be busy for the next month or so. If there will be a transition to Raspbian in the mean time (within that month or after it), I might need additional month to fix related issues. So I can say that there won't be anything on that done withing may and june 2016.

So I guess in july 2016 I can start to work on something new, something from the list of 'requested features' that I've mentioned here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=29743&p=293374#p293374

...where one of them is floppy write support. I have no clue whether we should have a vote on the next feature that should be done, or should I just pick one which I might feel like it's the most requested / needed. If that feature would be floppy write, it could be done in august or september. If not, then who knows? ;)

(damn, time flies...)

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Out of curiosity, isn't most of the software stack used open source. Could it speed things up if we could get some other coders to pitch in?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:46 pm

leech wrote:Out of curiosity, isn't most of the software stack used open source.

Depends on what you are asking here:
  • Does the most of the software of CosmosEx consist of other open source components / parts, so I just need to update them / use more of them? No, I'm the original author of the ~95% of the code.
  • Aren't the sources of CosmosEx available online as open-source, so anyone can take a look and help? Yes, they are online for read-only access in svn, and also (coming soon) on github.

leech wrote:Could it speed things up if we could get some other coders to pitch in?

Yes, it would definitely help, although the other coders don't do huge contributions and complete new features, except tIn who did the whole web interface and screencast.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”