CosmosEx - 5.25 HDD frame mount

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

CosmosEx - 5.25 HDD frame mount

Postby Robson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered already, just remembered to ask.

So I have a Tetra TT and bought the scsi version of CE but found it difficult to mount in a 3.5-5.25 HDD frame, mainly because the on/off switch on the side. It's position is not really HDD frame friendly.

Have you ever seen issues with that, is it my frame or this is a slight design problem?
If so, I think mounting by the side screw holes should also be considered.

Also when I tried to strip the CE down, the spacers turned together with the bolts so I gave up.

I've managed to fit it at the end with a the help of my dremmel, so just asking.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: CosmosEx - 5.25 HDD frame mount

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:45 am

Robson wrote:So I have a Tetra TT and bought the scsi version of CE but found it difficult to mount in a 3.5-5.25 HDD frame, mainly because the on/off switch on the side. It's position is not really HDD frame friendly.

For that purpose you can remove (desolder) the power switch, and use internal jumper (which might be not soldered in your device) to have the device always or, or use it for connecting a different power switch on wires, which you could lead out on more usable place for your case.

Robson wrote:If so, I think mounting by the side screw holes should also be considered.

The side holes are there, but they don't have threads (they are probably not used in 99% cases), so tapping the threads there is up to users who need it...

Robson wrote:Also when I tried to strip the CE down, the spacers turned together with the bolts so I gave up.

Yes, this happens sometimes... You need to hold parts somehow with some pliers / jaws / something while screwing the other part if this happens.

Jookie

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks for the tip about the power.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy overall and might have questions when it comes to installation of the system blah blah.

So far so good, great job!
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Robson wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm happy overall and might have questions when it comes to installation of the system blah blah.

No problem, I get questions all the time ;)

Robson wrote:So far so good, great job!

Thanks ;) And as you are asking about this stuff through public forum, you're helping to build the knowledge base for others, so thank you too ;)

Jookie

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Jookie wrote:
Robson wrote:So I have a Tetra TT and bought the scsi version of CE but found it difficult to mount in a 3.5-5.25 HDD frame, mainly because the on/off switch on the side. It's position is not really HDD frame friendly.

For that purpose you can remove (desolder) the power switch, and use internal jumper (which might be not soldered in your device) to have the device always or, or use it for connecting a different power switch on wires, which you could lead out on more usable place for your case.

Robson wrote:If so, I think mounting by the side screw holes should also be considered.

The side holes are there, but they don't have threads (they are probably not used in 99% cases), so tapping the threads there is up to users who need it...

Robson wrote:Also when I tried to strip the CE down, the spacers turned together with the bolts so I gave up.

Yes, this happens sometimes... You need to hold parts somehow with some pliers / jaws / something while screwing the other part if this happens.

Jookie

Ha, why didn't I think of just desoldering the power switch? I've been trying to figure out how to fit it in place of the HDD in the TT030 bay, and the power switch was one of the things preventing that. If I figure out a way, it'd fit perfect in a TT030 or Mega STe.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”