Which Raspberry Pi?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Which Raspberry Pi?

Postby leech » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:47 am

So, apparently from videos I've seen to final product, the CosmosEx changed? I have an older Raspberry Pi Model B, which I thought was the correct one, so when I ordered the CosmosEx, I did it without the Raspberry Pi. Then when it got here I found that A) it has spots for 4 USP ports, and 4 screw posts (Mine has 2 screw holes and 2 USB ports). So I clearly had the wrong one, even though all the pictures/videos I saw showed that it should fit.

So I looked everything over and thought "Ah, he updated so it'd work with the Raspberry Pi 3. So I went ahead and ordered one of those and it arrived today. Then after mucking about for a few hours I did some more searching... And now I find that apparently Jookie is working on upgrading the Image to use Raspbian, and until then the Pi 3 won't work. Bummer. So can someone tell me exactly which model I should have gotten? Or should I wait for an upgraded image? Thanks!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Which Raspberry Pi?

Postby spiny » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 am

The B and B+ are the same physical size, so your B should work, you'll just have space where the 'missing' two USB ports are.
Discalimer: I don't have a cosmosex (yet), but I do have various Pi devices :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:10 am

spiny wrote:The B and B+ are the same physical size, so your B should work, you'll just have space where the 'missing' two USB ports are.

Yes, but they have a different GPIO port dimensions (26 pins vs 40 pins), so you need a bit different cable - shorter connector on one side, but the pinout is the same, so the silly / simple way to do it is just to cut off everything beyond those 26 pins, and glue the connector back together (as after cutting it will try to fall apart), not putting the glue over connector pins.

leech wrote: So can someone tell me exactly which model I should have gotten? Or should I wait for an upgraded image?

These are the supported models now:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/rpi_models.jpg

As mentioned, for B you need a shorter connector on one side, and you also need to move the spacing pillars in the box to different positions, as they also changed the holes position. For the two spacing pillars which will be under the RPI PCB, where there are no holes in the older B version - use plastic pillars, so you wouldn't short circuit anything on the PCB.

In the previous batch of CosmosEx you could order between box & cable prepared for version B or version B+, but that caused complications on my side, and also people who used version B didn't like the bigger holes in the front panel of the box. So in this batch the box and cable is prepared for version B+, which is the same as for RPi 2 and RPi 3, so it will be fine for the future.

Please note that the buyer's page (and thus your order) says: 'CosmosEx device - prepared for Raspberry Pi B+'.

There are 2 guys (tIn and tuxie) currently looking on the transition to Raspbian and speeding up the boot, so this transition to Raspbian might happen in the next weeks or months, and then the CosmosEx will work with RPi 2 and RPi 3, too.

So your options are:
  • move the spacing pillars for version B, replace 2 of them with plastic versions, cut down the 40-pin connector to 26-pin and use your version B, or...
  • wait few weeks / months for the transition to Raspbian, mount RPi 2 / RPi 3 as it is (no connector cutting, no pillars moving)

I am sorry for this situation, I should update the pictures on the page and be more explicit about the RPi version (I thought it would be enough in the ordered item description).

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 am

forgot about the GPIO!

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 pm

No worries, Jookie, I blame myself for not paying attention. If there is any help needed in getting it working with Raspbian, I'd be more than glad to help, after all, I have the hardware ready and I've been using Debian for many moons now.

What all needs to be added to it anyhow? I can't imagine it being that much. I'll try to look into it and see if I can help at all.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm

leech wrote:What all needs to be added to it anyhow? I can't imagine it being that much. I'll try to look into it and see if I can help at all.

What I can imagine / remember straight out of the head:
  • free the UART (on boot partition and in /etc/ somewhere )
  • free some other GPIO if it's used
  • create smaller Raspbian, which won't have X, but still has most of the useful libs
  • make the CosmosEx boot with it fast enough, not 40 seconds like to full Raspbian
  • fix anything that won't work on Raspbian the same way it works on current distro
  • make a system of updates (compilation, installation), which will allow updates for current distro to support most of the users, and also new Raspbian
  • use newer GPIO library for newer Raspbian (because of new GPIO access style in RPi 2 and RPi 3), and if it doesn't support the older distro, then compile the code for current distro with older GPIO library and code for Raspbian with newer library
  • maybe optional, but nice to have (tIn was looking at this one) - allow updating current distro to Raspbian without removing the SD card from CosmosEx

...and that's all I can remember now :) Maybe there's even more to it. Currently tuxie and tIn are both looking at it.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”