CosmosEx / MMC 32MB / ICD Driver Pro

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

nanard
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

CosmosEx / MMC 32MB / ICD Driver Pro

Postby nanard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Hello, I got my CosmosEx today.
I've plugged in on the ASCI port of my 4MB STE - TOS 1.06.

ASCI ID 1 is ce_dd
ASCI ID 2 is SD
all others are off

I've no trouble browsing a USB stick (translated mode) and launching STE demos from there.

But I've trouble formating a 32MB MMC card
I made myself a Floppy disk with ICD Pro
I boot and select boot disk A (without ce_dd) then launch ICDFMT.PRG
both ASCI ID are detected.
One note : all ASCI detected drives are named "JOOKIE CosmoEx".
Could it be possible to name them "JOOKIE CosmoEx SD" "JOOKIE CosmoEx ce_dd" ""JOOKIE CosmoEx RAW" ?

When I try to format/partition the MMC card, I've got a fatal error : Read error on sector 41.
http://nanard.free.fr/CosmosEx-ICD/
What is to blame ? The MMC card ? it works well in my PC...
As I read some STE machines have faulty DMA chips, how to check that ?

Note : I also happen to have a Mega ST4 + MegaFile44.
I plan to use the CosmosEx with the STE, but I can us the mega* for (cross)testing :)
4MB STE + CosmosEx /|\ MegaST4 + MegaFile 44

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: CosmosEx / MMC 32MB / ICD Driver Pro

Postby tin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:12 pm

nanard wrote:As I read some STE machines have faulty DMA chips, how to check that ?

The jury is still out on this one - there are different opinions wether this is a myth or not.

Anyway, I was curious, too, if this a) exists and if it can b) be checked - you can find the resulting product in your config drive (called test_hdd.prg or sth similar) with some additional pimping by jookie.
Just let this test run some time, it should show ACSI/DMA problems, if any are present. It checks for actual transfer problems, regardless which DMA chip version you have, because judging this by chip version could be misleading.

If this test succeeds even after a few hours, you can be fairly sure your STE is fine in conjunction with your CE.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:26 am

nanard wrote:But I've trouble formating a 32MB MMC card
When I try to format/partition the MMC card, I've got a fatal error : Read error on sector 41.

As I've mentioned in private e-mails, MMC cards are (not very well) supported, so I would definitely use SD card, and I wouldn't go under 1 GB. Please repeat your test with such SD card and report if it works fine or not.

At the time when the support for MMC was created (in SatanDisk) the MMC cards were as available as SD cards. Then somehow SD cards took over and MMC cards now are harder to buy, so there weren't any test, fixes and anything for MMC cards, and all the focus moved to SD cards. So if possible, just forget about the MMC cards and get an SD card ;)

nanard

Postby nanard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:55 pm

I'v bought a brand new microSD 2GB card that i'm using with an adapter and it works fine.
I have been able to format/partition the SD using ICD Pro without problems.
Thanks for your support.
Maybe you should state on your website that MMC may work but is not supported :)

nanard

Postby nanard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:50 pm

hum it hasn't lasted long. now the ICD driver doesn't load anymore. Looks like the SD card got corrupted :(

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:47 am

nanard wrote:hum it hasn't lasted long. now the ICD driver doesn't load anymore. Looks like the SD card got corrupted :(

This is weird... Can ICD Pro (when runned from floppy) find the partitions on that card? What machine are you using, what TOS version? Depending on that you might need some patches on TOS to not screw things up...

You can also do some HDD interface reliability tests, which might show some issues with the device or with your machine. Can you run the CE_TSTHD.PRG from config drive and see if the transfers are OK?

nanard

Postby nanard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 am

I think my TOS 1.06 screwed the disk :)
CE_TSTHD.PRG results are OK.
when loading from floppy, the ICD drive sees no partition :(

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Bumping this thread because I just got a 1040STe with TOS 1.06 and I can't get ICD to partition anything. This is the first time I've read that SD cards smaller than 1gb may be an issue, so I'm gonna see if I can find a larger SD card (I have a ton that are 512mb or less).

Has there been any testing of TOS 1.06 lately that would encourage me to find a TOS upgrade asap?

Also curious if anyone has had any luck with Spectre GCR and CosmosEx? I'm finding it next to impossible to get Spectre setup because I don't have original System 6 discs on floppy, and I haven't hooked up the CE to floppy yet. I wonder if I could find a system disk in Spectre 128 format that could mount to CE. Problem is again, finding a .st floppy image in Spectre 128 format with Mac System files ready to go.

I also tried formatting a partition using the Spectre software and it nuked the SD card completely. I suspect it's due to my other issues. Going to wait until I get this stuff fixed before messing with Spectre again. I might even start a new thread on the subject.

-A.

nanard

Postby nanard » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:05 am

Android8675 wrote:Bumping this thread because I just got a 1040STe with TOS 1.06 and I can't get ICD to partition anything. This is the first time I've read that SD cards smaller than 1gb may be an issue, so I'm gonna see if I can find a larger SD card (I have a ton that are 512mb or less).

What error have you ?

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Hey, I actually wasn't getting an error, the SD card just kept nuking the HD partitions, or sometimes the SD card would start ICDBOOT.SYS, other times it wouldn't.

I repartitioned making a small C: drive (5meg) and a couple larger partitions on the 512meg SD card and everything worked normally, the system seems stable and boots relably to the 512meg sd card. Now I'm trying to get the floppy interface working. I'm debating mounting the CE inside the 1040ste. Right now I have an external SF314 interface plugged in, but I can't get the CE to work as the B: drive. Dunno if the CE can be plugged straight in or if the cable has to be modified. I can say that 1.06 tos seems stable enough, but I'm thinking about getting 2.06 once I inspect the inside of this STe and make sure the PSU isn't starting to fail.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 am

Android8675 wrote:but I can't get the CE to work as the B: drive. Dunno if the CE can be plugged straight in or if the cable has to be modified.

The cable should be fine without changes, just make sure the proper wires are driven to low state (motor on, drive 0 / drive 1) when accessing the external floppy, and you can also change the floppy ID on which it answers in the CE config screen - that ID might (probably is) different for drive A: and drive B.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”