Need help with Wifi issue

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DerPete
Atarian
Atarian

Need help with Wifi issue

Postby DerPete » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:29 pm

I have a very weird problem with wifi connection, trying to describe as accurate as possible:

Situation:
Cosmosex device, updated to the latest linux image, afterwards updated cosmosex software from web using ethernet cable (DHCP).
With Cable connection everything is fine, from my ST i can check for software updates through internet and also access a network drive on my pc that is configured and mounted with cosmosex. The other direction also works fine, e.g. i can access cosmosex web interface from my pc.

I purchased a wifi adapter that is known to work fine with raspberry (D-Link Wireless N 150). Installed, configured with ce_conf to get an ip with DHCP, saved turned off ST and Cosmosex and rebooted. Cosmosex boot screen shows network connection wlan0 with a (different) IP. Thats it, i thought and was happy. but nor for long..

I cannot access the shared drive on my pc, also the software update doesnt work, shows 0000-00-00 as date.

And now the weird stuff (this is with wifi and no eternet cable plugged in):
i can successfully ping the cosmosex ip from my pc.
i can ping/resolve hostname COSMOSEX
i can access cosmosex web interface from my pc
i see cosmosex on my windows network
i can access directories there /css /img /js /templates

the other direction also seems to work fine
from my st using ce_conf console (F8) i can ping my pc and also google.com

Anybody out there who has an idea and can help?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Need help with Wifi issue

Postby Jookie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 am

This seems like there is some routing problem from CosmosEx to network through wifi. When you mention that most of the connections to and from CosmosEx work even through wifi, then I wonder if it's not just the routing related to the main app which has some issues (e.g. curl library inside of the CE linux app).

With ethernet cable removed and wifi module present, can you see if these work and give similar results as when connected only through cable?

Code: Select all

ping kie.sk
traceroute kie.sk

If they do output similar things, then the routing is OK, and you can try to restart the CosmosEx main app (just in case the internal state of it has something with routing):

Code: Select all

/ce/ce_stop.sh
/ce/ce_start.sh

...and then see if you can see the software update version other than 0000-00-00 (but do give it like 30 seconds after starting the app to retrieve the sw version from server).

Jookie

DerPete
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DerPete » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:07 pm

After a lot testing i figured a workaround to get it running. Here is what i have to do, maybe it gives a hint where the problem is located.
I think timesetting is a major part.

1. Boot CosmosEx
2. Turn on Atari (Date and Time is wrong, 2014-06-24)
3. Start CE_CONF
4. Menu "Other" -> no modification, just scroll down to "Save" and hit enter. I guess syncs time now, if i reset the ST i get correct date on screen. Although reset is not neccessary, i can continue to 5. directly
5. Menu "Update Software". Shows 000-00-00, hit enter on "from web". After a sec it shows "the same"
6. Menu "Network Settings" -> no modification, just scroll down to "Save" and hit enter.
7. Exit CE_CONF and open Shard Network Drive. Success!

I can reproduce this at any time.

As i said maybe someone can get better idea now where the problem is. I am not used to the raspberry itself, every help is appreciated, also in how to set the correct time. its back to 2014 after every poweroff.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:28 am

All this looks like the main app starts, tries to do stuff sooner than the wifi network is available. Saving that config makes it retry (at least in the 'Other' and 'Update' cases), so everything needed there would be just adding a retry if the requests don't succeed at first. It will be probably done in few days / weeks, but no promises of delivery date at this time (still busy with 2 other things).

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”