Tip if keyboard doesn't fit with IKBD Injector - 1040 STF

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

retango
Retro freak
Retro freak

Tip if keyboard doesn't fit with IKBD Injector - 1040 STF

Postby retango » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi!
I have 2 Atari 1040 STF, and if I put the IKBD injector, the keyboard ends up a little high and does not let me close the top cover. That's because some components from below the keyboard touch the injector and connector.. Although it's only a couple of mms, since the keyboard is at an angle the difference ends up being big enough that I cannot close to top cover correctly.
So I did 2 things: I removed the black plastic piece from the injector (where the keyboard connector goes, see picture - this lets the connector fit a little bit deeper), and cut a corner of the injector board (so it does not touch the keyboard components). Now it closes and works perfectly!
Hope this helps!
IKBD Injector.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Tip if keyboard doesn't fit with IKBD Injector - 1040 STF

Postby Jookie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 am

Good tip, retango!

I see that you got the older type of sandwich injector... There is now also bit newer type of the same injector, and the only differences are that the white connector you got there got smaller (just pins, no orientation plastic thing), the corner which you did cut away now definitely doesn't have any traces there (they were moved a bit futher)... In some cases this modification is needed, but in some cases it's hard to fit there...

Too bad that the Atari corporation didn't think of ports for extensions like this back when they produced the computers, but I also understand that maybe it was too hard to imagine what could be added in the future...

centipus
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Tip if keyboard doesn't fit with IKBD Injector - 1040 STF

Postby centipus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting this mod. I need to do this to my injector but am a bit nervous about screwing it up...What did you use to cut the corner off the injector board retango?

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”