Share USB pendrive

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Share USB pendrive

Postby Cyprian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 pm

Is it possible to share CosmosEx USB pendrive and access it from Windows?
Now I use a linux server's shared folder as a Shared drive. It is convenient because I can easily exchange files between Atari and Windows.
But would be cool to eliminate that intermediate server and access CosmosEx USB pendrive or SD card directly from Windows
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Share USB pendrive

Postby Bama » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:20 am

I believe HDDriver 9.** give the option to format the first partition on the USB pendrive as windows compatible.
:-)
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:26 am

Cyprian wrote:Is it possible to share CosmosEx USB pendrive and access it from Windows?
Now I use a linux server's shared folder as a Shared drive. It is convenient because I can easily exchange files between Atari and Windows.
But would be cool to eliminate that intermediate server and access CosmosEx USB pendrive or SD card directly from Windows

I could add an option to share the USB drive, but first I have to check if all the needed linux tools are there...

On the other hand - why do you use linux server to share between Atari and Windows? I share folder from my Windows XP, use it on my CosmosEx, and thus they both share data without another machine.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:24 am

actually I use different OSs (Linux and Windows) and laptops therefore it is convenient for me to use that intermediate server.
Would be cool to have direct access to CosmosEx's translated drive, because sometimes that severer is switched off.

Bama wrote:I believe HDDriver 9.** give the option to format the first partition on the USB pendrive as windows compatible.

yep but with CosmosEx translated drive that's needed.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:46 am

Jookie wrote:I could add an option to share the USB drive, but first I have to check if all the needed linux tools are there...

I had taken a quick look on the rpi linux system. There's no samba server. It is using cifs mount module to mount windows share ont the rpi filesystem as a client.
I assume we may add a samba server to the linux distro to do that ( I know no other free software project to make windows share under linux ).

For now there's an only NFS server up and running on the rpi. :shrug:
Btw Is there a reason for running this nfs server?
I see no config to exports nfs shares under CE config app.

Nrs.
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Can Windows access NFS shared folders?

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Yes, but not natively. See :
http://blog.zwiegnet.com/linux-server/m ... windows-7/

I guess you could export your mnt folder on the rpi this way...
Just had to configure /etc/exports on the rpi and restart the service. This way you could see your usb key content both on windows, linux and ... atari ;).

Want some help to try that?

Nrs.
______

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Mr Nours wrote:Want some help to try that?

would be cool. thanks

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Mr Nours wrote:For now there's an only NFS server up and running on the rpi. :shrug:
Btw Is there a reason for running this nfs server?
I see no config to exports nfs shares under CE config app.

You're right, there's no use for it yet, so it either could be turned off (and possibly speed up the boot by a second or so), or used to export the mounted drives, as Cyprian wanted.

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Well, sorry Cyprian, i had managed to configure the nfs server but didn't manage to make it works.
All seems fine on server side ( rpi )after creating configuration files but when i try to connect it rejects any clients.

Code: Select all

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.73:/mnt

Seems that the service idmapd wich must be needed is not started nor configured...

Jookie, do you know why NFSd was here, are you using it for dev purposes?

Nrs.
______

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:55 am

Mr Nours wrote:Well, sorry Cyprian, i had managed to configure the nfs server but didn't manage to make it works.
All seems fine on server side ( rpi )after creating configuration files but when i try to connect it rejects any clients.

Code: Select all

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.73:/mnt

Seems that the service idmapd wich must be needed is not started nor configured...

Damn...

Mr Nours wrote:Jookie, do you know why NFSd was here, are you using it for dev purposes?

It's there because it was built with the minimal linux image I've made using Yocto, and I didn't notice that this is running there and it's not needed ;) So it could be turned off now to save some resources and speed up boot time a little.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”