I really need some help with CosmosEx

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

I really need some help with CosmosEx

Postby STNooB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am

I bought one nearly a year ago (near the end of March), and I've never really got going with it - what with me being a complete noob to the ST, and work / health.

I've read lots, but either it's because I don't have any background for an ST, or I'm just dumb, but I just can't seem to get my head around getting stuff to work. I''ve lost count the amount of times I've had to take it to bits, so I can reflash the internal microSD card and/or connect up to HDMI to update.

I have a CosmosEx with a Pi, and the latest firmware update. (2016-01-17)
An Atari STE (TOS STE v2.06) with 4MB, and a Zydec external floppy drive.
Copy of HDDRIVER 9.08. (Still in a zip file, I can't figure out how to get into on to a floppy, since I can't access my external floppy drive.)
A 16GB USB stick
A 32GB SD card.

I've already cut the case up etc, so I can use the cosmosex internally. (I did that back when I plugged it all in and it seemed to work, not realising there's a lot more to do to get Floppy / HDD emulation)

I'd really like to be able to access emulated FDD from USB and have an emulated HDD from SD, but also be able to access the external FDD as normal. I know the external floppy drive works fine, because when I remove the cosmosex and put the internal floppy back in, both drives work normally. (Seem to remember on the older version I never had that problem, but it's been at least 6 months since I've played around with all of this.

I've already cut off part of the plug at the back from the cosmosex so the Floppy drive can be plugged in at the same time.

As far as I get, is that it boots and I have the O: drive. From there I'm basically lost. I've read DrCoolZic January 2015 - V0.9 from cover to cover more than once, I've looked through the forums trying to figure out where I'm going wrong.

I really hope someone can help me with all this?

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Re: I really need some help with CosmosEx

Postby Cyprian » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Did you activate ACSI/SCSI ID for SD?
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=431
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Hello,

maybe we should get things going one by one. Please write what you want to achieve, and I (and hopefully others) will try to navigate you, e.g.:
- I want to put floppy images on USB drive and want to use them as real floppies, through emulated FDD, or...
- same as previous, but from Atari formated SD card, or...
- I want to run my ST apps from USB drive or network drive, or...

Jookie

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Cyprian wrote:Did you activate ACSI/SCSI ID for SD?
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=431

I've tried, tagging sd for say ID 0, but all that happens after I reset the ST, is that it boots up with A: and B:, and that's it. I lose O:, so I have to set it back from within a browser. The SD card is formatted to FAT32 32K, with no files/folders. The card works fine in windows.

I'd like to note, that I've read about trans etc, but the ACSI config doesn't seem to have that? It has ce_dd instead?

Jookie wrote:Hello,

maybe we should get things going one by one. Please write what you want to achieve, and I (and hopefully others) will try to navigate you...

Jookie

Hi,

I'm not sure which one needs to be done first, so the other ones can be done?

First off I suppose, making an emulated floppy of the HDDriver to run from an USB stick, so that I can then get on with creating an emulated HDD on the SD card. Lastly it would be really nice having access to the real external floppy drive again, so I can rip my ST disks.

Is that a good order of things?
Last edited by STNooB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:05 pm

STNooB wrote:I've tried, tagging sd for say ID 0, but all that happens after I reset the ST, is that it boots up with A: and B:, and that's it. I lose O:, so I have to set it back from within a browser. The SD card is formatted to FAT32 32K, with no files/folders. The card works fine in windows.

You have to have Atari driver on that SD card, having it just formated on Windows isn't enough. You need HDDRIVER or ICD Pro or PPera driver or AHDI.

You will loose drive O:, if you:
- disable CE_DD, from which the CE_DD driver is loaded, which is used for accessing drive O:
- if some other HD driver is loaded before CE_DD driver - e.g. HDDRIVER blocks other drivers from loading after it, so you need to have CE_DD on lower ACSI ID than SD card with HDDRIVER

STNooB wrote:I'd like to note, that I've read about trans etc, but the ACSI config doesn't seem to have that? It has ce_dd instead?

'trans' was the old name in that column, the new is 'ce_dd', which is better for showing that it's not needed for having translated drives working, only for having CE_DD booting through ACSI port.

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Jookie wrote:
STNooB wrote:I've tried, tagging sd for say ID 0, but all that happens after I reset the ST, is that it boots up with A: and B:, and that's it. I lose O:, so I have to set it back from within a browser. The SD card is formatted to FAT32 32K, with no files/folders. The card works fine in windows.

You have to have Atari driver on that SD card, having it just formated on Windows isn't enough. You need HDDRIVER or ICD Pro or PPera driver or AHDI.

You will loose drive O:, if you:
- disable CE_DD, from which the CE_DD driver is loaded, which is used for accessing drive O:
- if some other HD driver is loaded before CE_DD driver - e.g. HDDRIVER blocks other drivers from loading after it, so you need to have CE_DD on lower ACSI ID than SD card with HDDRIVER

STNooB wrote:I'd like to note, that I've read about trans etc, but the ACSI config doesn't seem to have that? It has ce_dd instead?

'trans' was the old name in that column, the new is 'ce_dd', which is better for showing that it's not needed for having translated drives working, only for having CE_DD booting through ACSI port.

Whoops, sorry, please look at my last post - I edited it.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 pm

STNooB wrote:I'm not sure which one needs to be done first, so the other ones can be done?

First off I suppose, making an emulated floppy of the HDDriver to run from an USB stick, so that I can then get on with creating an emulated HDD on the SD card. Lastly it would be really nice having access to the real external floppy drive again, so I can rip my ST disks.

Is that a good order of things?

If you want to load some floppy images into emulated FDD drive, you can just:
A) load them directly through browser, or...

B) floppy images on USB stick under windows, assign first drive letter for translated drives in config tool, let ST boot with CE_DD, that will give you access to USB stick on ST as a translated drive, and you can load the images from there using O:\CE_FDD.PRG (no need for HDDRIVER / SD card), or...

C) Have the floppy images in some folder under windows. Share that folder on network. Use that shared folder through network using CosmosEx as SHARED drive. Let the CE_DD boot and give you access to SHARED drive. Upload floppy images from that SHARED drive from ST, using O:\CE_FDD.PRG, or...

D) load some native HDD driver (HDDRIVER / ICD Pro / PPera driver) on ST from real floppy drive / emulated floppy drive / translated drive. Then partition an SD card as TOS/DOS compatible, install that native HDD driver on the SD card. Put that SD card into Windows machine, load floppy images onto it. Put it back to CosmosEx, let the native HDD driver to be loaded, then upload the floppy images using O:\CE_FDD.PRG to emulated floppy (or have that CE_FDD.PRG on the SD card).

And I guess there could be some other ways to do it. You just need one of those above. Simplest is option A), but you need a running PC for that. The 2nd simplest would be B). If you need more details on one of these options, just ask and I can give you more details about it (I didn't want to go into the details of each and every one, that would be too long).

The one you mentioned - USB drive, SD card, HDDRIVER, is the option D), which is the most complicated and not needed, if you only want to load the floppy images, as there are simpler ones.

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:37 pm

I've managed to create a HDDRIVER emulated disk, and boot from that. Through my PC's browser - doesn't seem to work very well from the USB stick.

I'm trying to figure my way through it now. Does the SD card have to be formatted a certain way in windows before I start?

I've just noticed as well, when I put the USB stick back in my PC, Window's always wants to repair it.

Do the SD and USB need to be formatted a special way first?

EDIT: After following http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

And trying to keep up since things have changed with this newer version, I end up with a STOP error, "Couln't write administrative sectors."

This is after selecting the correct ID, formatting, then trying to create partitions, I entered 512MB and for it to be TOS and Windows compatible.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 am

STNooB wrote:Does the SD card have to be formatted a certain way in windows before I start?

If you want TOS/DOS compatibility, then no. You should format it on ST as TOS/DOS compatible, using HDDRIVER or Ppera driver.

STNooB wrote:Do the SD and USB need to be formatted a special way first?

Well, FAT16 and FAT32 should work fine, I can't say if NTFS will work as I didn't try that one. I wouldn't try other filesystems.

STNooB wrote:And trying to keep up since things have changed with this newer version, I end up with a STOP error, "Couln't write administrative sectors."

Is that on SD card or on USB drive? Because if you want to format USB drive on ST, using HDDRIVER / ICDPro / PPera driver, then you have to use USB drives as RAW, not translated (in translated mode the sectors are not accessible to those drivers, the USB drive is then only accessible thorugh CE_DD driver).

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 am

Jookie wrote:
STNooB wrote:Does the SD card have to be formatted a certain way in windows before I start?

If you want TOS/DOS compatibility, then no. You should format it on ST as TOS/DOS compatible, using HDDRIVER or Ppera driver.

STNooB wrote:Do the SD and USB need to be formatted a special way first?

Well, FAT16 and FAT32 should work fine, I can't say if NTFS will work as I didn't try that one. I wouldn't try other filesystems.

STNooB wrote:And trying to keep up since things have changed with this newer version, I end up with a STOP error, "Couln't write administrative sectors."

Is that on SD card or on USB drive? Because if you want to format USB drive on ST, using HDDRIVER / ICDPro / PPera driver, then you have to use USB drives as RAW, not translated (in translated mode the sectors are not accessible to those drivers, the USB drive is then only accessible thorugh CE_DD driver).

I just want it noted that I have been putting the SD cards in the SD slot, and using real USB sticks, not a memcard in a USB reader.

I think it's the type of SD card it is that's causing the error. It's a Transcend 32GB SDHC UHS-I / Class 10 card. It just doesn't want to play nice with the HDDRIVER when formatting. (Though I was trying to use TOS and Windows modes. I'll try again later with just TOS)

I've looked through my bits draw and I've now found a integral 4GB SDHC Class 4, and just using TOS, with a 512MB followed by two more around 1600MB, and installing HDDRIVER, using the autoconfig and selecting all of the 0.x and 1.0 and 2.0 (I'm not sure if I need those last two) seems to make it work. I tried to follow your guide, but there are settings there that just aren't in the new HDDRIVER, I'm going to guess these are tagged by default in the background now? (I'm talking about the General Settings)

I didn't know either when booting into the ST from the new C: HDD, you have to click Options and Install Devices, to show up the other drives. As I said at the start, I'm a complete noob when it comes to ST. But I've managed to do that, and change the icons so they make more sense. It does show C:, D:, and E:.

I'm still having problems when putting the 16GB stick back in the PC after using it on the ST. It always wants to scan and repair it, apart from that, seems to work normally.

For some reason the external B: Floppy drive is now accessible as well.

So, the only problems I have now are...

A: only ever seems to emulate a new disk if I use my PCs browser, it never seems to work if I use CD_FDD.PRG. I can pick from the USB stick or from C: and even after reboot CD_FDD.PRG remembers which floppy image I've selected, but the ST itself, also sees A: as blank before or after reset. (I haven't tried accessing a network drive to load image files)

and

D: and E: just flash when I try to select them, they do not open up, like C: does. Is it because I've made them too large?
Last edited by STNooB on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 am

STNooB wrote:I'm still having problems when putting the 16GB stick back in the PC after using it on the ST. It always wants to scan and repair it, apart from that, seems to work normally.

Maybe you could unmount (safely remove) it before actually taking it out of USB port - run O:\CE_MOUNT.PRG and then press the letter under which the USB drive was assigned.

STNooB wrote:A: only ever seems to emulate a new disk if I use my PCs browser, it never seems to work if I use CD_FDD.PRG. I can pick from the USB stick or from C: and even after reboot CD_FDD.PRG remembers which floppy image I've selected, but the ST itself, also sees A: as blank before or after reset. (I haven't tried accessing a network drive to load image files)

Do you select that floppy image slot, where you uploaded that image, by pressing the button on the front panel of the CE device?

STNooB wrote:D: and E: just flash when I try to select them, they do not open up, like C: does. Is it because I've made them too large?

One thing can be that they are too large for your TOS version, or have other format than HDDRIVER can open under your TOS. The other thing is that HDDRIVER shows extra letters:
- when your SD card contains 1 valid partition, it will be shown as 2 partitions, where the 2nd serves as a empty reserve if you would hot swap the card, and the new card will have another partition...

- when you have CE_DD enabled on ACSI ID, then HDDRIVER doesn't see any valid partition there, but adds that empty reserve one...

Jookie

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am

Jookie wrote:Maybe you could unmount (safely remove) it before actually taking it out of USB port - run O:\CE_MOUNT.PRG and then press the letter under which the USB drive was assigned.

Yeap, that's fixed that problem.

Jookie wrote:Do you select that floppy image slot, where you uploaded that image, by pressing the button on the front panel of the CE device?

Doh!, no I hadn't. Works as normal now. (I'd been spoilt by the browser way of doing things)

Jookie wrote:One thing can be that they are too large for your TOS version, or have other format than HDDRIVER can open under your TOS. The other thing is that HDDRIVER shows extra letters:
- when your SD card contains 1 valid partition, it will be shown as 2 partitions, where the 2nd serves as a empty reserve if you would hot swap the card, and the new card will have another partition...

- when you have CE_DD enabled on ACSI ID, then HDDRIVER doesn't see any valid partition there, but adds that empty reserve one...

The ST has TOS 2.06 UK.

It's HDDRIVER 9.08 that I've used to format and partition the 4GB SD card. It created C: 512MB - BGM, D: 1.6GB - F32, and E: 1.6GB - F32.

So should it work, or do I have to make make smaller drives?

Another problem seems to be, if I update the desktop in any way and "Save Desktop", and reset or turn off/on again, the ST starts to boot, but then gives four bombs. To fix this, I have to use a webbrowser and emulate the HDDRIVER disk I made. Pressing A on boot, it'll boot to the emulated disk as normal. If remove the emulated disk, and reset everything carries on working as it was before. If I turn the ST off/on again, get the four bombs, wait a while and reset, I get the four bombs yet again.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:20 pm

STNooB wrote:It's HDDRIVER 9.08 that I've used to format and partition the 4GB SD card. It created C: 512MB - BGM, D: 1.6GB - F32, and E: 1.6GB - F32.

I would go for smaller partitions, maximum 512 MB each, but maybe I'm just too old fashioned ;) I never used bigger ones, so I don't know if they work fine.

STNooB wrote:Another problem seems to be, if I update the desktop in any way and "Save Desktop", and reset or turn off/on again, the ST starts to boot, but then gives four bombs. To fix this, I have to use a webbrowser and emulate the HDDRIVER disk I made. Pressing A on boot, it'll boot to the emulated disk as normal. If remove the emulated disk, and reset everything carries on working as it was before. If I turn the ST off/on again, get the four bombs, wait a while and reset, I get the four bombs yet again.

I saw something similar, when HDDRIVER was once loaded, then I've removed the SD card with HDDRIVER and made a reset to ST - something from HDDRIVER probably remained in RAM, and I couldn't get it boot without 4 bombs - until the next cold reset or power off/on cycle. That was without the CE_DD even being loaded. Can you write down a list of steps to reproduce this, so I can test it at my place?

STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Postby STNooB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:44 am

Jookie wrote:
STNooB wrote:It's HDDRIVER 9.08 that I've used to format and partition the 4GB SD card. It created C: 512MB - BGM, D: 1.6GB - F32, and E: 1.6GB - F32.

I would go for smaller partitions, maximum 512 MB each, but maybe I'm just too old fashioned ;) I never used bigger ones, so I don't know if they work fine.

I'll stick with 512MB sized drives then. :)

Jookie wrote:
STNooB wrote:Another problem seems to be, if I update the desktop in any way and "Save Desktop", and reset or turn off/on again, the ST starts to boot, but then gives four bombs. To fix this, I have to use a webbrowser and emulate the HDDRIVER disk I made. Pressing A on boot, it'll boot to the emulated disk as normal. If remove the emulated disk, and reset everything carries on working as it was before. If I turn the ST off/on again, get the four bombs, wait a while and reset, I get the four bombs yet again.

I saw something similar, when HDDRIVER was once loaded, then I've removed the SD card with HDDRIVER and made a reset to ST - something from HDDRIVER probably remained in RAM, and I couldn't get it boot without 4 bombs - until the next cold reset or power off/on cycle. That was without the CE_DD even being loaded. Can you write down a list of steps to reproduce this, so I can test it at my place?

I think I've found the problem. I hadn't realised it, but I had been leaving the HDDRIVER.ST floppy (I had made from the files that you get), as an emulated disk 1.

So,

1) Boot from C: as normal (Everything being as it should be, 512MB from a SD card. Never removing the SD card)
2) Load a virtual floppy that can be written to disk 1 (Not forgetting to press the button on the Cosmosex or click active from a browser :) )
3) Make some desktop changes, and save desktop
4) Turn off Atari ST and wait a minute or two
5) Turn on Atari ST (Do a reset if the cosmosex didn't take after say 30s (Though you most likely got the four bombs))
6) This is where I'm stuck in the loop of four bombs and waiting 'n' resetting

The only way out of it, seems to be to use the PC browser to load that same virtual floppy. Then using the CE_FDD.PRG to remove the virtual floppy (Since there isn't a way to remove with the browser), and then save desktop again. This leaves the everything working okay for a while, but if the ST is turned off for some time, I have to user the browser and load that virtual floppy again.

I've only just learnt about the DESKTOP.INF / NEWDESK.INF files that stores the details about the desktop.

I just noticed the same sort of thing with the CE_CONF.PRG (other) when trying to set the screen res. It says DESKTOP.INF, and if I say set it to "mid" and reset, it doesn't take. It only takes if I remove the SD card, so it only boots from O:. On the C: drive though, it has NEWDESK.INF not DESKTOP.INF. Trying to remove the SD card in between off/ons, makes no difference - at least not for me. Leaving a few mins at a time.

I hope that helps? As I said to you before though, I really am a noob to STs.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”