USB Mouse & Pad Unstable

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

USB Mouse & Pad Unstable

Postby Mr Nours » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi,

I experience some funny things when trying to play several games with an USB mouse our an USB pad.

Two examples :
When playing flying Shark, sometime the game freeze and is running one more frame only if i press a direction or the fire button. I could hardly trigger this bug by moving my USB mouse while playing. This bug is very helpful,because playing Flying Shark step by step is far easier. Too bad i can't revert to a normal state when this bug occurs. :mrgreen:

When playing Rodland, if i go up on my pad the game simply crashes and burn. All is fine until i decide to go up. As it is some kind of platform game, it is quite annoying. :wink:

All works fine with a DB9 mouse and Joystick.
Please note that my CE is a V1 one, and i had patched it this way

Is there some kind of filtering in CE to discards bad signals from USB joysticks or mouse?
I think this may be caused by unexpected scancodes or signals.

Please tell me if i could provide more informations.

Cheers,

Nrs.
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: USB Mouse & Pad Unstable

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Mr Nours wrote:All works fine with a DB9 mouse and Joystick.
Please note that my CE is a V1 one, and i had patched it this way

Is there some kind of filtering in CE to discards bad signals from USB joysticks or mouse?
I think this may be caused by unexpected scancodes or signals.

Well, I could try the same games to see if I get the same results. If it would be better / fine at my place, then I would suggest turning on the IKDB logs on at your place (which are disabled, code needs to be recompiled) to see what's happening at your place.

That reminds me that I don't have a testing tool for the IKDB features (like I now do have for ACSI, FDD and FileSystem).

But at this moment this issue will be moved to the background, there is some more serious issue around which needs to be fixed first ('Shared drive instability ' by Cyprian).

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:22 am

Done some testing with the AUTOMATION CD 28.
All games ( Xenon, Stormbringer, Netherworld... ) runs fine if we don't load HDDRIVER and Autoboot on CE fdd emulated drive, very stable.

Controls works well with my good old speed king joystick, but it i use my USB pad fire button works strangely. Sometimes it don't shoot, some times it shoot three times in a row. Directions works fine.

Jookie wrote: then I would suggest turning on the IKDB logs on at your place (which are disabled, code needs to be recompiled) to see what's happening at your place.

Please tell me if you could activate those logs, i'llbe glad to help you.

Nrs.
______

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:28 am

Mr Nours wrote:Please tell me if you could activate those logs, i'llbe glad to help you.

The newest main app now has the option to turn on the IKBD logs without recompilation. For that you need to update main app to current version (2016-02-16), then log into the device, stop the app ( /ce/ce_stop.sh ) and then run the app with the argument:
/ce/app/cosmosex ikbdlogs

Then you should be able to see the logs - /var/log/ikbdlog.txt
You can delete the log file during the app run, it will create a new one with the next write to logs, so you can locate the issue more easily (by having smaller log, only when the issue is happening).

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks for the update :)

So i had turned on the ikbd logs and started to investigate about the Fuzion cd 87 Rodland bug.
It makes a "Game Over" if you go up one time with the USB joypad - now tested with two different pad.

My idea was to compare log with db9 joystick only ( no mouse ) and log with an usb joypad.
Please find those two logfiles attached, log_ok for db9 joystick and log_nok for usb pad.

log_ok.txt

log_nok.txt

Please note that, i had filtered numerous lines to make them more readable.

The only real difference i see it that the cosmosex send those values with an usb pad but never send them with a real db9 :
01246050 00000011 sending to ST: ff 08
01248579 00000000 sending to ST: ff 00
01249064 00000010 sending to ST: ff 01

I hope it will help you kill this bug...

Cheers,

Nrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
______

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”