Tip for rookies / first time users - turn on, wait, reset

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

retango
Retro freak
Retro freak

Tip for rookies / first time users - turn on, wait, reset

Postby retango » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:18 am

Hi all,
Just want to share a tip with first time users.
When you first turn on the Atari ST, CosmosEx does not start fast enough for the Atari to boot from it. So if you turn it on and don't the see the floppies and the config drive on the desktop, wait some 30 secs, and press the Reset button (do not turn off and on again). When it re-boots, you should see all the CosmosEx features on the desktop.
This is a very basic tip, but I could not find it anywhere (maybe I missed it, but could not see it in this forum, Jookie's page, nor DrCoolZic User's guide) and it took me 2 days and lots of work (many assemblies /dissasemblies and connections to hdmi) to figure it out.
Jookie / DrCoolZic, let me suggest you add this tip to your CosmosEx guides, you may save us complete rookies much time!
Thanks!
Last edited by retango on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Tip for rookies / first time users - turn on, wait, reset

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:44 am

I had the same problem myself when I first tried it. Since I have used the Raspberry Pi a little before I knowed it is slow on statup so I noticed I had to reset the Atari everytime. A bit annoying and there should be a way around this. Best would be not to run Linux on it but instead his own software, which is rather easy to do on the Raspberry Pi.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:44 am

I had the same problem myself when I first tried it. Since I have used the Raspberry Pi a little before I knowed it is slow on statup so I noticed I had to reset the Atari everytime. A bit annoying and there should be a way around this. Best would be not to run Linux on it but instead his own software, which is rather easy to do on the Raspberry Pi.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 pm

I used to have an old hard drive that caused some problems as it's spin up time was too slow, I seem to recall using a floppy with a boot delay on the boot sector. Fixed the problem.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”