Pros/cons of sd card as hd vs USB flashdrive as translated drive?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

khooke
Retro freak
Retro freak

Pros/cons of sd card as hd vs USB flashdrive as translated drive?

Postby khooke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:58 am

Got my CE today, very impressed so far!

I'm using the ICD driver to get started, and have formatted an SD card into a number of partitions. Given that the ICD driver doesn't support tos/dos partitions, I inserted and mounted a dos formatted USB flashdrive too and was planning on copying some hd modified games to my sd card partitions.

At this point I realized it was very simple to get the USB flashdrive mounted as a translated drive, but had to jump through a lot of steps to get an sd card partitioned and setup. It seems the CE is handling the larger size of my flashdrive for me, where the sd card had to be partitioned into many smaller partitions to mount to the ST.

So what is the benefit of using sd cards and tos hd drivers, where it seems you can just stick in a flashdrive and it works straight away with no partitioning? Am I missing something?

Thanks! Kevin

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Pros/cons of sd card as hd vs USB flashdrive as translated drive?

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:23 pm

I preferred SD as the media to exchange data.... as I can move it to my Windows to my camera and to my phone (micro SD with adapter).
You cannot move to so many devices with a USB flash drive.
My SD is not the boot but drive F: and is in FAT32 under Mint.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

khooke
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby khooke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:32 pm

To get tos/dos partitions I'd to use either the hddriver or ppdriver though, right? I don't think the icd driver supports that type? I'll probably upgrade to ppdriver anyway, but to get up and running when my CE arrived yesterday I just grabbed icd as it was free.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Benefit of SD cards in this case in compare to translated driver for USB Pen drives is that it is more compatible with Atari SW.
I don't think that you need lot of steps to partition some SD card or any hard disk - with good SW all it is couple minutes and few steps.

I don't know how it is with speed - anyone can give some info about USB flash drive speed on CE ?
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:06 pm

I use USB as translated drive.
I don't need any additional disk driver, my partition is visible in any system. The best option available in near future will be network folder sharing. That USB pendrive will be available for all computers in the intranet via Samba or NFS protocol, therefore will be possible files sharing between Linux/Windows/Android and Atari without touching that pendrive anymore.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”