AB040 Falcon with CosmosEx

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

AB040 Falcon with CosmosEx

Postby acsi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:36 am

Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help with my setup.

If I run the falcon without the AB drivers it works OK but off course it's in slow mode. (I can partition the 8GB SD card and read and write)

But if I try activating the AB040 drivers I get either no icons followed and not able to do anything except move the mouse or with a different version 2 bombs when trying to activate CE_DD and lock ups or corruption when accessing the CosmosEx drives.

Any ideas anyone?

BTW System specs are (to best of my knowledge)

AB040 with 64MB Fast Ram
Nova ATi (Not activated but plugged in to the AB040)
4GB IDE drive running of a 2.5-3.5" lead
And the only thing on the SCSI chain is the CosmosEx
HDDRIVER 9.07

Thanks.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: AB040 Falcon with CosmosEx

Postby dml » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:39 am

The likely hazards....

1) The SCSI dma buffer is being put in fastram, instead of ST-ram, where it needs to be.
2) The SCSI dma buffer is in ST-ram, but the 040 caches are messing up the transfers, caching the SCSI data instead of passing it through uncached.

You'll need to divide these problems and test independently to figure out which it is, or to at least get closer to the cause. i.e. turn off fastram and retry, then restore fastram and turn off caches and retry. This should yield some new info.

Are you using the original AB40 drivers, or the 68040 Toolkit (TK) drivers? (i.e. the later ones by me)

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 am

I've been using Black Scorpions version 4.09.

I've just tried TK 5.07b but going get a black screen after it runs.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 am

The fact you get a black screen with TK 5.09 suggests some kind of more general problem.

The content and order of stuff in your AUTO folder is pretty important. I suggest using a boot manager (e.g. xboot or a tool that lets you resort the auto folder) to find the running order for those things and make a list of them.

The simplest step is to disable as much as possible to begin with and gradually re-enable things to see where the conflict begins.

Generally the TK driver should be early in the AUTO folder, but some things actually may have to go in front of it.

Cache control and other stuff can be done via TK config tool as well, but better to that after investigating the auto folder.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am

It seems the CosmosEx driver/software may need a patch for 68040/68060 processors, to keep the caches from working on the SCSI data. This is handled for 030, but not 040+ yet...

A patch seems fairly likely to happen though since there are plenty of 060 Falcons out there...

In any case you might be able to do a temporary workaround by placing the TK driver's DMASNOOP patch in the AUTO folder *after* the TK driver, but *before* the cosmosex software. This will mark ST-ram non-cacheable for any programs loaded after it. I don't have a CosmosEx (yet) so I can't test this but the TK stuff was set up to be able to do that for other disk drivers and audio software with compatibility problems... see how you get on with that.

Still it makes sense to debug the TK507 issue first (auto folder conflicts) because whatever that is probably affects TK409 as well, in some invisible way....

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm

acsi wrote:I've just tried TK 5.07b but going get a black screen after it runs.

You know that 5.x has some settings specifically for the Nova? Get these wrong and nothing will work. Like dml I also suggest you experiment further with 5.0x.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:16 am

joska wrote:
acsi wrote:I've just tried TK 5.07b but going get a black screen after it runs.

You know that 5.x has some settings specifically for the Nova? Get these wrong and nothing will work. Like dml I also suggest you experiment further with 5.0x.

OK
I have progress. Seems that TK required the Nova drivers which I hadn't put in yet (Hence the blank screen) :oops:

So with dmasnoop running after TK I now get a nice 1024x768x64k screen and a seemingly stable system. CE_DD now finds the CosmosEx but I still need to test the SD card and USB drive access.

Off to do some testing... fingers crossed

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:59 am

Sounds better - although chances are the CosmosEx stuff still needs patching to be fully compatible.

In any case you want to steer clear of 'copyback' cache mode on the 040, until those later processors are included in the CosmosEx supported list. 040 cached data in this mode will certainly get lost/forgotten if 030 cache operations are used while the cache is full.

'copyback' mode is optional and can be controlled via TK config. You may get on ok with that turned off.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 am

dml wrote:Sounds better - although chances are the CosmosEx stuff still needs patching to be fully compatible.

Yes, definitely. The CE drivers have been tested with plain TT and Falcon (no accelerators), so this needs some fixing.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 am

Well with all the cache's turned off I can format the SD card but it will not mount. I am thinking this is possibly because I ned to rerun hddriver in the auto folder rather than just the .sys file.

Unfortionatley my testing so far was limited to about 5 minutes. Hopefully Ill be able to do more soon.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:36 am

How is ST-RAM mapped in the AB40? On the CT60, ST-RAM is still cached (what is beneficial most of the time) so I'd say if the AB40 does the same we've got the culprit.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:38 am

Bit more testing done and I can now copy and run stuff from the SD card.

However CE_DD finds the CosmosEx but will not mount the USB or Config drives.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 am

Acsi, did you try "ALT + O" keys combination?
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:01 am

mikro wrote:How is ST-RAM mapped in the AB40? On the CT60, ST-RAM is still cached (what is beneficial most of the time) so I'd say if the AB40 does the same we've got the culprit.

Seems to be - since the workaround above was effective.

The memory is mapped in a similar way. STRam is cacheable by default, but the hack above reverses that for anything loaded after/above DMASNOOP's load address.

ROM is transferred to TTRam. TTRam is optionally copyback-cacheable. STRam is also, but generally won't be unless you like to live dangerously and make it so.

The system stack stack area is also marked copyback. Don't remember if its in TTRam or not... IIRC there were some issues with it being reset in multiple places in TOS (or something... vague).

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:13 am

acsi wrote:However CE_DD finds the CosmosEx but will not mount the USB or Config drives.

What is CE_DD?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”