ATARI ST to CosmosEx external floppy drive cable

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

opoasum
Atarian
Atarian

ATARI ST to CosmosEx external floppy drive cable

Postby opoasum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi Atarians, i wonder if someone here may kindly provide cables like such described here by forum user galax:

viewtopic.php?t=26656

It would be very useful to connect CosmosEX externally, or, in my case, the internal fdd through external port, using it as B drive with CE as drive A.

I know 14 din connectors are relatively difficult to find, I know the alternatives, but I opened this discussion to talk about this specific type of cable and people in the community who can actually build-provide them.

Thanks for attention. ^^^^
A.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: ATARI ST to CosmosEx external floppy drive cable

Postby Jookie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:16 am

The best thing would be to get the DIN 14 connector and make a PCB adaptor for it, so a flat ribbon cable could be connected, because soldering the cable pin by pin takes too much time ;) Then it wouldn't be a problem to make a couple of these.

Erghhm, I can't find any DIN 14 on eBay at this moment, do you have any other source of those connectors?

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:55 am

You can also buy old/non working ST floppy from ebay (3rd party hardware is best for this), thow away the floppy drive and fit CosmosEx inside instead.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi !
I just bought (and received !) my din 14 from here :
http://connectique.e44.com/connecteurs/ ... FD14M.html

opoasum
Atarian
Atarian

Postby opoasum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi HuggyOne76, thanks for the tip... Maybe you have time and skills to build one of such pin to pin cables for me? Let me know! Thanks :)
Last edited by opoasum on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

opoasum
Atarian
Atarian

Postby opoasum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Jookie wrote:The best thing would be to get the DIN 14 connector and make a PCB adaptor for it, so a flat ribbon cable could be connected, because soldering the cable pin by pin takes too much time ;) Then it wouldn't be a problem to make a couple of these.

Erghhm, I can't find any DIN 14 on eBay at this moment, do you have any other source of those connectors?

Hi Jookie, thanks to HuggyOne it seems we have a source for connectors, otherwise it should be not a problem to get them from an Atari external floppy drive cable... Yes I now it needs time to solder the pin to pin version :) Maybe HuggyOne has time and skills to build one of these cables? Let's wait. Thanks! :) ;)

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 pm

In fact... my wife has the skills to build one, and time to build one for me this week. We have to try if this is not too difficult and if that works really well. But I cannot say if she'll be agree to build more than one cable !!! :D

opoasum
Atarian
Atarian

Postby opoasum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 pm

HuggyOne76 wrote:In fact... my wife has the skills to build one, and time to build one for me this week. We have to try if this is not too difficult and if that works really well. But I cannot say if she'll be agree to build more than one cable !!! :D

So you still have to build your own... :) Actually i need one, but a second one might useful in the future...
So, just keep me updated on your wife's decisions and work... :) :thumbs:
The pcb + din 14 cable solution suggested by Jookie would work the same, anyway, and I may just follow this alternative way :)

Cheers :cheers:
Andre
Last edited by opoasum on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 am

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi everybody,

My wife worked this morning... LOL ! She built the external cable (34 pin connector to connect a HxC Floppy SD and 14 pin DIN on the Atari STE, and just to try, an external power floppy supply from an old PC) and... that works ! Wire to pin solders (no PCB... and Nothing to make this PCB !), but that works perfectly ! My wife is a goddess... :D

So just build a cable like that : viewtopic.php?t=26656 and it's ok. :D
But not sure she'll build other cables like this one... LOL !

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:47 pm

If you don't like soldering the DIN connector you could just cheat and cut a floppy drive cable in half like I did ;) I have some Atari DIN14 connectors with solder cups which are OK to solder to- a little bit fiddly but with proper tinning and holding the wires still it's not too bad.

I was just chatting with Andre and I realised that what he wanted was to achieve was essentially the same as one of those PC floppy drive cables with a twist to reverse A/B between the two drives, I know for sure this could be acheived using the external floppy connector but it may also be possible using just the internal floppy connector. (the schematics seem to suggest that this would only work for an STE: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24353#p228433 )

HuggyOne76 wrote:My wife worked this morning... LOL ! She built the external cable (34 pin connector to connect a HxC Floppy SD and 14 pin DIN on the Atari STE, and just to try, an external power floppy supply from an old PC) and... that works ! Wire to pin solders (no PCB... and Nothing to make this PCB !), but that works perfectly ! My wife is a goddess... :D

So just build a cable like that : viewtopic.php?t=26656 and it's ok. :D

I'm glad the instructions are correct! If anyone still wants to use the use the external DIN14 and avoid having ribbon cables hanging out of their ST, feel free to get in touch as I will be making up some more of those floppy cables soon.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”