Injector disable Keyboard

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Injector disable Keyboard

Postby Mr Nours » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all,

We had some fun testing the cosmosex this week end at the VIP party in France. It's really a great device!

But we encountered a strange bug : When pluging the keyboard with the injector on my Ste it disables my STe keyboard. Removing the injector, plug again the STE keyboard, works OK but need reboot. So far, we found no way to had the original keyboard working with the injector.
As we had two cosmosex devices we had cross tested with different STe and injectors and came to the conclusion that my injector works OK on another STe but not with mine. I had tried a different STE keyboard who worked well on an another STe with the injector and that was the same problem : no keyboard.
So we thought that was my STe motherboard which is not compatible.
But my STe has a DMA that looks like a little square reputed not to be buggy.

Any advice? Dis someone else encoutered the same problem?

Cheers,

Nrs.

See the square DMA motherboard : http://www.atari-wiki.com/images/4/47/ST_Motherboard_STE_CA401177_FrankB.jpg
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Injector disable Keyboard

Postby Jookie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 am

Mr Nours wrote:But we encountered a strange bug : When pluging the keyboard with the injector on my Ste it disables my STe keyboard. Removing the injector, plug again the STE keyboard, works OK but need reboot.

If you got the device in 2015, it shouldn't happen, and I guess only measuring the signals between the keyboard and ST would show where the issue is.

If you got the device in 2014, then it could be by some bad value of a resistor, it's described in the middle of this document:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529

Since I've discovered that problem in 2014, I've been replacing the resistor manually so it wouldn't have that bug, but that was since the 2nd half of 2014.

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Jookie wrote:
Mr Nours wrote:But we encountered a strange bug : When pluging the keyboard with the injector on my Ste it disables my STe keyboard. Removing the injector, plug again the STE keyboard, works OK but need reboot.

If you got the device in 2015, it shouldn't happen, and I guess only measuring the signals between the keyboard and ST would show where the issue is.

If you got the device in 2014, then it could be by some bad value of a resistor, it's described in the middle of this document:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529

Since I've discovered that problem in 2014, I've been replacing the resistor manually so it wouldn't have that bug, but that was since the 2nd half of 2014.

Mr Nours and I received the same batch of CosmosExs. The keyboard works fine on mine. But sometimes my original mouse doesn't run smoothly as described in your document. I think my CosmosEx needs a hardware patch.
Mr Nours, we can do the fix together if you want, the next time we meet :wink:
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Ok then,

We just did the modification and all seems to works fine for my cosmosex, but strider one now has keyboard corruption...

Cheers,

Nrs.
______

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am

Mr Nours wrote:We just did the modification and all seems to works fine for my cosmosex, but strider one now has keyboard corruption...

Wait, so now (after patch) mouse works OK, but the keyboard has corruption?

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi jookie!

My STE keyboard was disabled when using the injector. After adding the resistor as you described here ( http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529 ) STE keyboard is now working fine. [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif]

My friend Strider has got random keyboard and mouse corruption ( unwanted chars.. ) with his cosmosex so he thought adding the resistor will improve that. But after adding it, it was not better at all. So he remove it...
Perhaps could you give him some advices?

We both buy our devices very early in 2014.. we use the same hard disk SD card ( he copied it to me with dd under linux last week-end ).

Thanks for your support!
______

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Mr Nours wrote:My friend Strider has got random keyboard and mouse corruption ( unwanted chars.. ) with his cosmosex so he thought adding the resistor will improve that. But after adding it, it was not better at all. So he remove it...
Perhaps could you give him some advices?

If the resistor doesn't help in his case, then there are few things that could be checked:
- is his injector and injector cable are OK?
- is the connection between the connector on CosmosEx board and Franz chip OK?
- does he have the latest firmware?
- if everything above is OK, then I (or someone else) would need to measure the signals going from / to injector with an oscilloscope to see if the signal goes above 2V for high level, and bellow 0.7 V for low level

Jookie

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”