CosmosEx - current state of SCSI version

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

CosmosEx - current state of SCSI version

Postby Jookie » Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 am

I'm writing this for those who might be interested in whats going on with the SCSI version...

There are 4 major steps to be done:
A) make SCSI HW version
B) make that work with ST through ACSI-to-SCSI host adapter (FW changes)
C) make that work with HDDRIVER on Falcon (FW changes)
D) make the changes to my driver and config tool to make it work on Falcon (SW changes)

The A) is already done, and I'm working on B). The C) should be quick (I guess it should be just some fix here and there), and D) might take bit longer... I'll post some updates here when there's something to share.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: CosmosEx - current state of SCSI version

Postby AdamK » Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 am

Is it possible to include ACSI-to-SCSI host adapter functionality inside?
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon May 11, 2015 7:58 am

AdamK wrote:Is it possible to include ACSI-to-SCSI host adapter functionality inside?

You mean like to have an ACSI version of the device, which would have SCSI port inside, so you could connect another SCSI (hard) drive to it? Erghm, not enough logic and pins there for that, and it would also go against the possibility to have one hardware being able to be connected to ACSI or SCSI depending on the firmware... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this would take much more work and would raise the cost even more...

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 am

Jookie wrote:
AdamK wrote:Is it possible to include ACSI-to-SCSI host adapter functionality inside?

You mean like to have an ACSI version of the device, which would have SCSI port inside, so you could connect another SCSI (hard) drive to it? Erghm, not enough logic and pins there for that, and it would also go against the possibility to have one hardware being able to be connected to ACSI or SCSI depending on the firmware... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this would take much more work and would raise the cost even more...

I thought about a version tha you could set up to work with SCSI or ACSI (but not both at the same time). I do not think that CosmosEx is very expensive, so maybe adding it would make sense.

Btw. you're talking about Falcon, so I assume you'll implement SCSI-II, what about SCSI in TT? (I'm knowledge about SCSI is a bit limited, so this might be a stupid or trivial quiestion)
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 am

AdamK wrote:I thought about a version tha you could set up to work with SCSI or ACSI (but not both at the same time). I do not think that CosmosEx is very expensive, so maybe adding it would make sense.

Yes, this SCSI or ACSI interface thing will be there - it's the same HW, the difference is in the FW (and one jumper), which you would have to flash if you switch between them.

AdamK wrote:Btw. you're talking about Falcon, so I assume you'll implement SCSI-II, what about SCSI in TT? (I'm knowledge about SCSI is a bit limited, so this might be a stupid or trivial quiestion)

I think it will work in both, and I will test both (so if the other won't work, I'll fix it ;) ).

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:11 am

Jookie wrote:
AdamK wrote:I thought about a version tha you could set up to work with SCSI or ACSI (but not both at the same time). I do not think that CosmosEx is very expensive, so maybe adding it would make sense.

Yes, this SCSI or ACSI interface thing will be there - it's the same HW, the difference is in the FW (and one jumper), which you would have to flash if you switch between them.

Will the user have to change FW by himself, or will it be controlled by jumper?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 am

AdamK wrote:Will the user have to change FW by himself, or will it be controlled by jumper?

When you change the jumper, the SW will notice that wrong FW is in Xilinx and it will reflash it.

The only thing you should keep in mind is the SCSI termination - if you want to have the SCSI termination enabled, you have to insert the resistor networks in place (like in older SCSI drives). And if you want to have then ACSI working (after changing the ACSI / SCSI jumper), you will have to remove those resistor networks (they are not needed for ACSI, and they would interfere with ACSI).

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 am

I got the SCSI version working with TT, doing many reads and writes without a problem, so I guess the hardware is done. :cheers:

The tests are done through my SCSI routines for TT (based on AHDI sources), so the rest of the software will be updated with this capability.

Now I need to make my SCSI routines work with Falcon (based on CBHD sources), and once that will be successfully working, I can make the new devices with this SCSI interface, as the rest will be software only...

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 am

:cheers:

Do you have any planned ETA?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 am

AdamK wrote:Do you have any planned ETA?

If the SCSI will work fine on Falcon (that means I can verify that the SCSI driver can operate just fine through Falcon SCSI port), I could start the manufacturing process, and that would result in devices being available in 2 months from now on.

If there will be some issues with driver on Falcon and / or hardware on Falcon, I hope that I could resolve them in 1 month from now on, and then it needs those mentioned 2 months for production (ordering, manufacturing, finishing, testing), so in that case it could be 3 months from now on.

So let's see how it will go on Falcon... Plus I need to do a poll to find out the interest, so I won't produce too many :? (I'm not planing to produce way too many anyway, I just feel that the demand has dropped a lot during the last few months...).

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:41 am

I am interested in one :-)

Inviato dal mio Lenovo A3000-H utilizzando Tapatalk

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Jookie, have you done any benchmarks for SCSI?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:46 pm

AdamK wrote:Jookie, have you done any benchmarks for SCSI?

No, not yet - I will first try to make the SCSI routines work with Falcon, too, so I could verify that the hardware works fine with both TT and Falcon. Then I will use that SCSI code to extend the current Atari drivers, and then I can do benchmarks... But without any further changes the throughput will be the same as on ACSI - 1.1 MB/s. There are some limitations of the MCU and also on RPi SPI bus, I might need to fiddle with that to try to push it further a bit, but the last survey said that people will be mostly OK with that speed. I know, I know, more speed would be better, but I'm not sure if it's achievable in the current setup.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:47 pm

MiggyMog wrote:
I May need to try another cable as having no luck acessing drives so far.. I have set it to SCSI, changed ID to avoid clashing with internal SCSI drive, not seeing O drive. I have tried a few configurstion with terminator resistors in or out, internal drive disconnected, external drive with terminator etc. I couldn't get ST talking to it in acsi mode either bah

Jookie wrote:
When you mention ACSI and SCSI mode, did you see this info about switching between those modes?
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=668

(But please, continue in separate topic)

Sorry for using wrong thread, yes I seen that page, very helpful. I think there is some other issue with the c-lab talking to cosmosex, it normally has the Internal SCSI working with external SCSI drive with terminator. I tried with using cosmosex in place of drive and terminator resistors in but also after drive. I have not re-tried without internal drive yet. I also have IDE Sd drive but have tried without a card in that. My PC was talking to cosmosex over net so I got the configuration services up to map drives there. I will send the configuration next time I am faffing with it :-)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:30 am

Miggy Mog,

let's start slowly. What machine you are trying it to connect when it's in SCSI mode?
TT, Falcon or STE + some SCSI host adaptor?
What other drive you had connected there?
Was the drive inside terminated or not?

When on ST, in ACSI mode, did you remove the terminators, did put on the A/S jumper inside, had the ACSI cable?

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:16 pm

I managed to update the firmware and get it up and running with Falcon in SCSI mode on my last attempt with both usb pen drive and sd card recognised plus internal non terminated drive. I have yet to get the o drive to show up so will need to swap the order of stuff around to get that to show next. That said I have got the files which appear in o drive through your site and put them on the usb pen anyway to access them on Atari. So i can now set config without using web route. I had my IDE sd carc using ICD and my scsi had older version of hd driver so I think this may have been causing issues too .
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

mjvans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mjvans » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Can we use a CosmosEx on the Falcon and what will be the features that are usable at the moment. So what is state of the SCSI version?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:40 pm

mjvans wrote:Can we use a CosmosEx on the Falcon and what will be the features that are usable at the moment. So what is state of the SCSI version?

Yes, you can use CosmosEx on Falcon - through SCSI. All the features are described here, they are valid both for ACSI and SCSI:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384

The limitation of SCSI version of CE_DD driver is - it currently doesn't work on 040 / 060, but that needs a software fix in the driver, not the hardware, that fix will come in the (near) future.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”