CE Boot issue, or ST hardware problems?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

CE Boot issue, or ST hardware problems?

Postby Android8675 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:04 pm

I had my CE+1040STf working a few months ago. Today I went to startup my system, but I'm getting 2 bomb after the CE_DD startup message. It's weird. If I have an SD card inserted with my ST ICD Hdd image it doesn't seem to get to the CE_DD message. It seems like something happened hardware wise to the system...

Now what's really weird is if I remove the CE and just try to start the system, it won't get to the GEM desktop. I had what I thought was a blank formted disk in the drive and it seems like that might be causing the issue because if I remove the disk it just sits there trying to seek the disk and never gets to GEM desktop, or bomb out.

So weird, seemed like everything was OK last time I was on it. The ONLY thing I did was move the ST physically (1040STf with TOS 1.04 6-chip upgrade) and tried to mount the CE in an external SF354 case.

Suggestions? Where would you start? I'm going home late tonight to try and diagnose the issue. Wanted to see if someone could direct my diagnosis. I'm wondering if something got jarred loose. Right now the first thing I'm thinking is to connect to the CE via HDMI, update it and try again. I guess also pop the top off the ST and check the chips/cable connections.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: CE Boot issue, or ST hardware problems?

Postby Jookie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:40 am

Android8675 wrote:Suggestions? Where would you start? ... Right now the first thing I'm thinking is to connect to the CE via HDMI, update it and try again.

I would suggest getting ST booting to desktop without anything connected (no hard drive, just normal floppy drive) - without that it's worthless to try anything else. If the bare ST won't get booting nicely, consulting the HW section of forum might be a better place to ask - people ask here mostly about CE and issues here...

I agree with updating the CE, that won't do any harm, but you don't need the HDMI though - if you have it on your network, you can log in through network and do update through that (by running /ce/ce_update.sh ).

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 pm

last night was a wash, I have no idea why it's not getting to desktop unless whatever floppy I have in the drive is loading something weird. I hope tonight it just works, I'm really not in the mood to open up that ST, I gotta install my 1050 megadrive mod and watch my 3yo. so little time these days.

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:58 pm

Jookie wrote:
Android8675 wrote:Suggestions? Where would you start? ... Right now the first thing I'm thinking is to connect to the CE via HDMI, update it and try again.

I would suggest getting ST booting to desktop without anything connected (no hard drive, just normal floppy drive) - without that it's worthless to try anything else. If the bare ST won't get booting nicely, consulting the HW section of forum might be a better place to ask - people ask here mostly about CE and issues here...

I agree with updating the CE, that won't do any harm, but you don't need the HDMI though - if you have it on your network, you can log in through network and do update through that (by running /ce/ce_update.sh ).

Well it's weird, I opened the system and pulled out the internal floppy and nothing else connected. Now the GEM desktop comes up without drive icons. I recall that being the correct default behavior. For fun I tried replacing the internal drive with my CE and everything came back up.

I dunno, maybe the interal drive is borked. I'm gonna try replacing everything, testing as I go and see if I can get everything working.

Another issue is I tried updating the CE, and now when it boots it says CE_DD.PRG version mismatch (there's a copy of that app in the C:\AUTO folder on my SD card) should I just delete the file from the HDD to get the CE to boot properly, or... can't access the O: drive to copy the updated version...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:10 am

Android8675 wrote:Another issue is I tried updating the CE, and now when it boots it says CE_DD.PRG version mismatch (there's a copy of that app in the C:\AUTO folder on my SD card) should I just delete the file from the HDD to get the CE to boot properly, or... can't access the O: drive to copy the updated version...

Yes, this is because the protocol between the driver and the main app has changed a bit - to prevent issues. So if you remove the SD card from slot (to avoid booting from SD card) or change the assignment of ACSI IDs (e.g. CE_DD as 0, SD card as 1) to make the CE_DD boot from device, you should be able to get the new CE_DD and place it on SD card...

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah, I got that straightened out. thanks Jookie.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”