[Cubase user] Is CosmoEx for me?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

somaboy
Atarian
Atarian

[Cubase user] Is CosmoEx for me?

Postby somaboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi,

I've been eyeing the CosmoEx, looks like a terrific all-in-one solution!

Before purchasing one, I'd like to get answers to a few questions. If some of these have been addressed previously, please save yourself the time and just point me to the right thread. Thanks!

My configuration: Mega STE with 4MB ram the latest TOS rom. It came with a dead HD which I never bothered to replace because those old bastards make too much noise anyway. I use it exclusively for old skool Midi sequencing on Cubase, and have a Steinberg Midex+ plugged into the cartridge port. I also use some editors for vintage synths on it.

1. I'd like to boot my official versions of Cubase 2 & 3 from an SD card - and save my work on the same card, perhaps in another partition. Would this work out of the box, or do I need to purchase HDDriver to achieve this?
2. Would Cubase find the Midex driver or can I expect problems with the file path etc?
3. Similar question for my Steinberg hardware dongles: will they be properly detected?
4. I keep an old Windows XP desktop pc around for the sole purpose of being able to write ST disk images to floppies. Can I finally put it out with the trash and just dump images on an SD card from my Macbook and read them in the Cosmo?
5. Can the device be neatly mounted in the case of a Mega STe (in the HD space)? Or would this require drilling, making custom brackets etc?
6. Can it be powered from the Atari's internal PSU?

Just making sure the CosmoEx is going to save me more hassle than it would cause ;)

Thanks for reading, in any case.

Take care,

SB

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: [Cubase user] Is CosmoEx for me?

Postby Robber » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:45 am

Hello,

same set-up here. Only the noise of the harddisk, an IBM Ultrastar 2.1GB which replaced the original 52MB Quantum is drowned by the noise of the MSTE's fan.
I dont own a Cosmosex (yet..perhaps) but the external cased Ultrasatandisk I've got works fine. I wouldn't use an internal one because of the inaccessibility if you want to change cards which I do a lot. Internal is cheaper but needs modifying the Atari's case if you want to change cards easily.
(Strange thing is, I never could find a clear picture of any Mega ST or -STE with an internal US disk inside).

Downloaded Atari software like Cubase modules, drummaps, sysex files for hardware synth's, editors etc, are stored on a Atari/DOS formatted SD card in the PC's card reader first and then inserted into the Ultrasatandisk. With the driver I use I can transmit 32 MB form PC to ST in one go which is the same amount of data as an old and noisy fully loaded megafile 30 holds.

What scares me most is putting the Cosmosex into the MSTE or any Atari for that matter. You need to put it where the "A"floppy drive sits so you'll lose that one which is not very convenient especilaly if you don't have an external "B"floppy drive.

Modify the housing, loop flatcables through the back of the MSTE to reach the acsi port, making "weird" connections to hang an USB keyboard onto. It's all to much for me.

For Cubase and editors my advice would be, purchase an Ultrasatandisk. Swap SD cards for exchanging data with another set up on another Atari* (simple STf/m or something, they come real cheap nowadays. Sometimes people give them away for free because they don't want to throw them in the bin) with a second US or even a Cosmosex for real time editing synths and making back ups, an awful lot of memory storage. You'll never use it all.

*Also handy is to obtain a so called PARCP cable and SW from Petr Stehlik if you want to transfer data between two Atari's with harddisks or SD card drives like Ultrasatan connected to them or data transfer from PC to Atari through the parallel port (also with USB available now).

And for my USB optical mouse I bought a little gadget on Ebay. Fantastic! Fast as lightning. Should actually being slowed down instead of speeded up.

And then the Internet. Atari's are far to slow afaic to surf the net. I leave that to the PC.

Have a look:

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999

http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:12 am

If you will use only SD card slot while you are using Cubase, you will have the same restrictions / features like with UltraSatan or SatanDisk, that means what works with them will work with the SD card in CosmosEx.

If the special driver for CosmosEx (e.g. for accessing Windows formated USB key or shared folder from Windows / Linux) would cause issues with Cubase, you can still work with SD card only, and then when you're not using Cubase, start the driver, copy the files between PC and your Atari.

You would have to do mounting to Mega STE on your own - I didn't try it. If you don't want to loose the original (normal) floppy, then you should mount CosmosEx not instead of the original floppy, but instead on the back of Mega STE, with all the connectors (USB, ethernet, SD card) sticking out of the back of your Mega STE, but that would require that special panel which you worry about...

somaboy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby somaboy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for your anwers, both. Very enlightening!

So, Jookie: the cosmo can't be hooked up to the internal HD ACSI connector, unlike the ultrasatan? I'd prefer to keep the internal floppy drive, of course.

The main reason i'd prefer a Cosmo over ultrasatan is the ability to use other mice and keyboards, of course. That and the fact that it's open to new functionality in the future because of the Raspberry PI core. (Any plans for Midi/audio port expansion options, by the way?)

Robber: Are you using dongles and/or a Midi expander with your ultrasatan and do these work properly?

I'm not to keen either to have cables and stuff protruding from every opening of the Mega STe case, I like it tidy :)
The lid of the HD compartment is held by a single screw. With a little modification work i think one could put a hinge in there to lift it easily - which would provide easy access to the Cosmo and its USB and cardslot.

By the way: I removed the Mega STe fan as it's there just to cool the PSU. I make sure to leave the venting holes uncovered. The machine does get warm, but it doesn't seem to affect performance at all much less cause a meltdown :). I will get one of those super silent fans as a replacement though, perhaps with a switch to shut it off when I need complete silence.

Has anyone successfully transferred ST files from Mac to ultrasatan/CosmoEX with an SD card, or are there any filesystem gotchas?

Thanks guys!

SB

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:22 am

somaboy wrote:So, Jookie: the cosmo can't be hooked up to the internal HD ACSI connector, unlike the ultrasatan?

It has the same ACSI cable (the cable didn't change since SatanDisk), so if you're able to get the intercal ACSI cable, then it can be connected internally.

somaboy wrote:The main reason i'd prefer a Cosmo over ultrasatan is the ability to use other mice and keyboards, of course.

The 'problem' here will be that if you want it tidy, you have to connect the cable and IKBD injector from CosmosEx, which will be inside of your Mega STE, to the keyboard connector of your Mega STE, which is outside - I guess they (people at Atari) didn't think of this possibility... Or you would have to make some modification, but that would require some soldering.

somaboy wrote:Any plans for Midi/audio port expansion options, by the way?

Not at this moment... As any of these features would be an addition, not a replacement of current supported peripherals, any software which would like to use these would have to be altered to support them. But if the interest would be high enough, it can be done (or if some developer would like to do that, then he can, but I guess I'll be adding and doing other features (first)).

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Somaboy,

I have a Midex+ and a Steinberg SMP24 hooked upon the MSTE, respectively cartridge and parallel port. Together with Cubase Score 2.06 (originally for Falcon but downgraded without audiorecording for Mega/ST/E) with dongle everything works smoothly, no probs. Ultrasatandisk behaves just like any other acsi/scsi harddisk. You even can set the ID by using Jookie's software just in case you have any other peripherals chained to the acsi port.

*Only version with a max of 128 midi channels available! I think the dongle for Cubase 3.01 also works with Cubase 2.06. Official version you can download here:

http://atari.music.free.fr/main.php?Cubase

I've read somewhere that with a Midex+ you can have up to 80 midi-channels (64 for Midex+ and 16 for Atari) but that is not true. All Cubase versions except the 2.06 don't exceed the max number of 64 midi-channels afaik. Also for the combination of Midex+ and SMP 24, you might think together with Atari's own midi port you have a total of 144 midi-channels available, but here it's limited to 128 midi-channels with 2.06. So with a Midex+ you can also use a midi expander connected to the serial or parallel port with just 3 midi outputs to use the full capacity of Cubase 2.06.

N.B. with C-Lab Notator the max number of midi channels available is 96.

somaboy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby somaboy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Honestly, who needs 128 midi channels? Except for Hans Zimmer, that is :) Even if the software would allow it, the memory limitations wouldn't. I use the extra outs to keep my midi chains short to make sure everything runs like clockwork. Downside is Cubase only sends midi clock on one output; Midi Thru splitter to the rescue.

But we're getting off topic here...

Glad to hear ultrasatan works with Cubase/Midex, so perhaps i'll be getting that after all.

Ps: The cubase 3.x cartridge does not work on version 2.x. I had a working v2 dongle but I accidentally plugged it in upside down and it was fried in a matter of seconds :/

SB

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:03 am

somaboy wrote:Glad to hear ultrasatan works with Cubase/Midex, so perhaps i'll be getting that after all.

Hey, did you know that the new CosmosEx version, when not equipped with Raspberry Pi, can work just like SatanDisk (or UltraSatan with a single SD card slot)? :) And you will have the possibility to extend the features later if you decide to install Raspberry Pi...

somaboy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby somaboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Are you currently sold out, Jookie?

This is what I see in the buyer section... (no way to choose products).

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 21.47.08.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:58 am

somaboy wrote:Are you currently sold out, Jookie?
This is what I see in the buyer section... (no way to choose products).

This is due to your status - 'You did pay' -- when you are in this state, you can't change your order (so you wouldn't do the payment and then change what you paid for). If you'll PM me your e-mail address which you use for logging in, I'll switch you back to the previous state... And just don't click 'Pay for order' until you configure your order, because that would switch you do 'You did pay' again...

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”