IKBD injector for Stacy????

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

IKBD injector for Stacy????

Postby Bama » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Help!

I don't have experience reading schematics, but I have been searching for a location for the CE's IKBD injector on the Stacy motherboard or it's Sub-board.

Where will this plug in?

Where can it "solder" in?

Which IKBD injector should I chose?

:shrug:

Thanks!
:-)
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: IKBD injector for Stacy????

Postby DarkLord » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:22 pm

The STacy has a very non-standard keyboard connector compared to other ST/TT/Falcon models.

Are you wanting to use a different keyboard than the stock model that came with the STacy?
I personally feel that the STacy's keyboard is the best on any Atari model, followed closely by
the Mega ST's.

I'll attach some pictures here so you can see:

STacy-kbd01.JPG

STacy-kbd02.JPG

STacy-kbd03.JPG

STacy-kbd04.JPG

These are from a spare STacy keyboard and TOS/Memory board that I have.

The flexible connector from the keyboard plugs into the connector with the
black slot on the TOS/memory board. The connector has a small slot on top
that you use a small screwdriver to slide out. The keyboard connector then
slides in, and you "lock" it into place by pushing the sliding part back in.

What sharp-eyed observers have probably already noticed about my set
of pictures is that a small semi-clear piece of plastic is missing from the
keyboard connector itself. Its sole purpose is to be a spacer for the flexible
part once it's inside the keyboard connector. They come loose very easily.
They are easy to reuse though, so if one comes off just don't lose it.

I've got 2 spare keyboards and neither one of them came with that piece
of plastic. Fortunately, the one inside my main STacy did have one, other-
wise I would have had to use something else to take up that slack.

The flexible connector lines are very easily damaged, so don't bend them
any more than you have to. There is a similar style connector for the STacy's
trackball, IIRC.

HTHs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 pm

DarkLord wrote:The STacy has a very non-standard keyboard connector compared to other ST/TT/Falcon models.

Are you wanting to use a different keyboard than the stock model that came with the STacy?
I personally feel that the STacy's keyboard is the best on any Atari model, followed closely by
the Mega ST's.

Thanks for responding and the great pics!

No issues with the built-in keyboard. I would like to use USB mice, joysticks and keyboards and I thought the IKBD injector was required to allow use of these peripherals. ????? If I can use these without the IKBD that will be much easier!

I think the STacy lacks the IKBD pins on the other ST computers. So if the IKBD injector is necessary, I will need to find a means to connect. My newbie understanding from looking at the pictures and guessing about schematics is that the signals from the IKBD injector need to be inserted somewhere before the chip labeled U1 (6301).

stacy-keybtosmem-top_red.jpg

stacy-keybtosmem-bottom_red.jpg

I don't know where or how to accomplish this and I don't want to do it if its not needed to use USB mice, keyboards and joystick.

Any and all assistance / advice is very much appreciated!
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Looking at the CosmosEx section on Jookie's website, I'm fairly certain that the IKBD connector
does have to be used to achieve the ability to use USB mice, joysticks, etc,...

So in the case of the STacy, you'll have to come up with some kind of work around.

Unless you could talk Jookie (or someone else) into producing a STacy specific IKBD
connector. :)

HTHs.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 am

DarkLord wrote:Looking at the CosmosEx section on Jookie's website, I'm fairly certain that the IKBD connector
does have to be used to achieve the ability to use USB mice, joysticks, etc,...

So in the case of the STacy, you'll have to come up with some kind of work around.

Unless you could talk Jookie (or someone else) into producing a STacy specific IKBD
connector. :)

HTHs.

I have looked at the Stacy Schematics but I can't identify any pinouts to hint at which pins need to be wired to the IKBD injector. I was looking at the Eiffel schematics.
eiffel.gif

It looks like the PS2 keyboard only has four used pins and one of those is ground. I think the Atari IKBD plug uses four pins also. So why is there a 24pin connector for the Stacy keyboard????

Do you know where I might find the pinouts?
BAMA

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:28 am

Would be great to see the Stacy schematics...
Last edited by galax on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:34 am

I've got the schematics for the STacy in .JPG and .PMN file formats.

They are 4.5 megs and 1.2 gigs in size, respectively.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 am

The TT's Mylar has about 24 lines, it seems likely to me that the STacy keyboard flexible connector just carries the row and column signals- you could 'fake' key presses by connecting those lines together, but couldn't use an existing IKBD there. An IKBD injector would have to be hooked into the TOS/memory board- probably on or near that chip you highlighted.
Last edited by galax on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:25 pm

galax wrote:The TT's Mylar has about 24 lines, it seems likely to me that the STacy keyboard flexible connector just carries the row and column signals- you could 'fake' key presses by connecting those lines together, but couldn't use an existing IKBD there. An IKBD injector would have to be hooked into the TOS/memory board- probably on or near that chip you highlighted.

Thanks Galax!

I emailed AlanH, he continues to go above and beyond to help me. He identified:

"Pin 43/44 on the sub-board with 60 pins is TX/RX"

stacy024_header_socket_60a.jpg

These pins receive output from the chip labeled U1 and is part # 6301.

stacy024_u1_-_6301a.jpg

So what should I solder directly to the pins on the underside of the the header socket? Is that a bad idea?
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 pm

I guess the best idea would be to solder an extra connector somewhere where the TX and RX lines are available, you could connect the IKBD injector cable there, and also in case you don't want to use the IKBD injector you could place one jumper there to restore the original functionality without it. But if you're not good with soldering, I wouldn't try it if I were you - you should find a friend - atarian, who could do it for you...

(I never did this, I don't have STacy or STbook, I'm just speculating here...)

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Jookie wrote:I guess the best idea would be to solder an extra connector somewhere where the TX and RX lines are available, you could connect the IKBD injector cable there, and also in case you don't want to use the IKBD injector you could place one jumper there to restore the original functionality without it. But if you're not good with soldering, I wouldn't try it if I were you - you should find a friend - atarian, who could do it for you...

(I never did this, I don't have STacy or STbook, I'm just speculating here...)

Your IKBD injector has 4 wires leading to the CE. Which need to be connected and what is the printout?

Thanks
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 am

Bama wrote:Your IKBD injector has 4 wires leading to the CE. Which need to be connected and what is the printout?

The wires on the cable go like this:
1) keyb tx orig -- TX signal going from keyboard, which is sent to CE for processing
2) keyb tx -- TX signal going from CE to ST, which contains original keyboard data + injected data
3) keyb rx -- RX signal going from ST to keyboard and to CE
4) GND

...now I'll have t figure out on what I'll draw these - either on the picture of CosmosEx IKBD connector, or on some picture of injector, because without that just the numbering and description of the wires is almost useless... (but if you are able to figure out which one is GND, then it should be easy).

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:27 am

Jookie wrote:
Bama wrote:Your IKBD injector has 4 wires leading to the CE. Which need to be connected and what is the printout?

The wires on the cable go like this:
1) keyb tx orig -- TX signal going from keyboard, which is sent to CE for processing
2) keyb tx -- TX signal going from CE to ST, which contains original keyboard data + injected data
3) keyb rx -- RX signal going from ST to keyboard and to CE
4) GND

...now I'll have t figure out on what I'll draw these - either on the picture of CosmosEx IKBD connector, or on some picture of injector, because without that just the numbering and description of the wires is almost useless... (but if you are able to figure out which one is GND, then it should be easy).

Hi Jookie,

I have received the CosmosEX, having fun learning to use it externally before installing into my Stacy. I know you are busy. I look forward to your advice.

Thanks,

Bama
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:40 am

Bama wrote:I have received the CosmosEX, having fun learning to use it externally before installing into my Stacy. I know you are busy. I look forward to your advice.

I'll make a description of the pins in the next few days, stay tuned.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Jookie wrote:
Bama wrote:I have received the CosmosEX, having fun learning to use it externally before installing into my Stacy. I know you are busy. I look forward to your advice.

I'll make a description of the pins in the next few days, stay tuned.

Thanks!!!! :D :D
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:15 am

The pinout of injector and pinout of CosmosEx IKBD connector have been added to my page. Link:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=592

There will be 2 more pictures added because of the non-oriented 4 wire cable used in this batch of devices.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 am

I've added a page which describes the correct connector orientation if you do have a silly cable (which can be plugged in both ways) between CosmosEx device and your injector: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=607.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 am

Jookie wrote:I've added a page which describes the correct connector orientation if you do have a silly cable (which can be plugged in both ways) between CosmosEx device and your injector: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=607.

The new pages are very helpful! Thank you!
BAMA

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:30 pm

Jookie wrote:I guess the best idea would be to solder an extra connector somewhere where the TX and RX lines are available, you could connect the IKBD injector cable there, and also in case you don't want to use the IKBD injector you could place one jumper there to restore the original functionality without it.

Which of two wires would need to be jumpered to restore original functionality?

???? Original TX to CE TX ????

Thanks

BAMA
BAMA

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Jookie wrote:I guess the best idea would be to solder an extra connector somewhere where the TX and RX lines are available, you could connect the IKBD injector cable there, and also in case you don't want to use the IKBD injector you could place one jumper there to restore the original functionality without it.

Which of two wires would need to be jumpered to restore original functionality?

Thanks

BAMA
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:46 am

Bama wrote:Which of two wires would need to be jumpered to restore original functionality?

Yes, you connect the ones which are disconnected on the injector and brought to another connector as separate pins: 'keyb_tx' and 'keyb_tx_orig':
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=592

Regards,
Jookie

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello Fellow CosmosEx Fans!

I am happy to say that with support from this Atari-Forum Community, the CE IKBD is working with the STacy with USB Keyboard and Mouse!

Two caveats:

1) I did the work with a STacy motherboard, I don't have a loose STacy keyboard to test with this setup. I don't want to take apart a working STacy....
2) The connection to the CE is the reverse from Jookie's site.
http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ce_ikdb_desc-300x265.png

Here are the solder points:

1) Pin 11 of IC 6301 lablelled U1 on schematic (IC was removed from socket, pin 11 bent outward and soldered to wire and then IC was re-socketed) is keyb tx orig (TX signal going from keyboard, which is sent to CE for processing) red wire in pic below.

2) Pin 43 of Header Socket labelled J2 of Sub-board is keyb tx (TX signal going from CE to ST, which contains original keyboard data + injected data) black wire in pic below.

3) Pin 44 of Header Socket labelled J2 of Sub-board is keyb tx (keyb rx -- RX signal going from ST to keyboard and to CE) black wire in pic below.

4) Pin 3 of Header Socket labelled J2 of Sub-board is GND white wire in pic below.

I look forward to your suggestions.
BAMA

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”