Cosmos Ex in Stacy

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Cosmos Ex in Stacy

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello All,

I have ordered a CE from Jookie and an internal UltraSatan ACSI cable (from AlanH). I hope to install the CE in place of the HD in my Stacy4 (Much like Darklord installed the UltraSatan in his Stacy.) I have several questions which I hope the forum can help me answer before installing.

My goal is to never open the Stacy again. (replace HD with CE - which has no moving parts to fail.)

1) Should I use power from the second internal, floppy connector or use the power from the HD molex? They appear to have different sources and I am hoping to spread the power burden if I used the HD molex.

2) Assign CE as Floppy A or B? I really don't know the advantage of having CE as floppy A. But I don't remember if Stacy can boot from floppy B, if for some future reason the CE fails.

3) If I install in HD slot will there be difficulties with:
- additional heat from the CE?
- will the CE power button interfere with install?
- how will I reset or upgrade the CE after the install in future?
- is there benefit to run cables (RCA video or HDMI) from the installed CE to Stacy Battery Compartment?

4) Would it be wiser to install the CE with the Raspberry Pi in the HD bay OR mount the R-Pi in the Stacy's unused battery compartment via longer GPIO cable to the CE in the HD bay?
- I could use USB and Ethernet extension cables to the CE faceplate for access.

Please forgive the long post and the many questions. I very much value the experience and knowledge of your posts and want to install wisely with the hope of not having to open the case again.

Many thanks,

Bama
" Bămă "
:-)
BAMA

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cosmos Ex in Stacy

Postby Dal » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:31 pm

I think you might be the first to try this. Please take pictures of it all and post up your findings.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi Dal,

I'll make sure I document the process. Do you have any ideas for my install?

Bama
BAMA

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 am

I'm not sure if anyone here has done it, you might be a pioneer in this one. I'm not sure about the power supply - if it's enough for the device, but you can try it and find out (and if it had a hard disk running there, it probably drained more power anyway).

Update of CE shouldn't be a problem even if the device is installed inside, it's done through software... (unless it fails and makes the device not bootable, in which case it might SD card extraction, rewriting of SD card and then insertion - but that doesn't happen very often).

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Keep in mind, Alan's internal cable includes a power header/cable for the Ultrasatan when it
was designed. Can it be used for the CosmosEx?

Link to discussion about the cable:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18687&start=75

Attaching a picture:

Alan's internal mega STe - STacy cable.jpg

HTHs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:35 pm

DarkLord wrote:Keep in mind, Alan's internal cable includes a power header/cable for the Ultrasatan when it
was designed. Can it be used for the CosmosEx?

I spoke to Alan, because the CE has its own power, he is making a cable for me without power. He even discounted the price for less hardware / effort. :-)

I really appreciate the discussion. You all have more experience with Atari and the CE.

Any heat issues from the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks,
Bama
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:37 pm

That's awesome. Alan has always been really great about support for his products.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:08 am

Dark Lord, a quick question is there any thing unique about the STacy's internal floppy cable? The reason I ask, is because I'am wondering if I could allow the Cosmos EX to be "removable" from the Stacy's HD bay? BTW, should I move this discussion to hardware?
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Bama wrote:Dark Lord, a quick question is there any thing unique about the STacy's internal floppy cable? The reason I ask, is because I'am wondering if I could allow the Cosmos EX to be "removable" from the Stacy's HD bay? BTW, should I move this discussion to hardware?

Hmm, as far as I know, there's no difference between the A floppy cable and the B one...

Ask the moderators and see if they want to move it.

HTHs.

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 pm

I found a post by Jookie where he recommends the UltraSatan ACSI be less than 30cm or 12". So if I ask AlanH for a 30cm cable, do you think it will long enough to extend out of the HD bay by 5cm or 2 inches?
BAMA

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Where did you find that post, please? Isn't the ACSI signal strong enough to send/receive data through a longer cable?
Trying to learn...

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 pm

I'll have to search for the post, someone asked Jookie about using an external apple floppy extension cable that was 3ft long. Jookie said he had difficulties with cabling longer than 30cm.
BAMA

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 pm

BAMA

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:20 am

Thank you...I didn't know there were issues with the lenght of the DMA cable...I was planning to do one of 60 cm...I think I should forget it now... :(
Trying to learn...

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:57 am

I wonder if internal cable can be longer vs external?
BAMA

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm

I got this email response from Jookie:

Hello Sam,

it's hard to tell the maximum safe length of the cable, but the rule is
- the shorted the better.

If it runs near some other electronics (CRT monitor?), it might be more sensible. I've tested some longer cable (~50cm) and there was some data corruption, so I've tried the shorted and it worked OK. So if you want, I could make your cable longer - at the risk that it might be problematic, and then you could make it shorted if needed...

Jookie
BAMA

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 pm

30 cm is enough. I only wanted 60 cm because I have an Ste over a Mega STe both using the CosmosEx. But it is better to go to the safety option and use 30 cm lenght!.
Trying to learn...

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:32 pm

I have requested 40cm and AlanH is kindly including an additional IDC in case the cable needs to be made shorter.

Thanks Alan H!!!!
BAMA

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Please, report back! And good luck
Trying to learn...

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:04 pm

qq1975b wrote:Please, report back! And good luck

Cosmos Ex has been purchased. The mailbox watch vigil begins. Will provide updates and pics ....

Any STacy experienced hackers with warnings and hints?

BAMA
BAMA

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 pm

I have three hints for opening it up:

First, use a hairdryer on the label to melt the glue while gently working a Stanley blade behind it to get it off in one piece without bending it.

Secondly, use an old credit card or reward card to separate the casing around the screen. You have to be brave with this bit, have the screen facing you and work the card into the join so that you are pushing the card towards the back panel. As you run it around, you will be working the back panel off. There are only clips around the sides and top of the screen.

Third, unless your memory is good, keep screws organised so you can recall where they came from.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Dal wrote:I have three hints for opening it up:

Secondly, use an old credit card or reward card to separate the casing around the screen. You have to be brave with this bit, have the screen facing you and work the card into the join so that you are pushing the card towards the back panel. As you run it around, you will be working the back panel off. There are only clips around the sides and top of the screen.

Thanks for the hints!!!!

In an effort to add to our knowledge base, I will try to remember to upload pictures with the locations of the "clips around the sides and top of the screen."

BAMA
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 am

Those are plastic, "snap" type clips that Dal is talking about and they break very easily, especially
as the plastic has aged, so be very careful.

Also, when you have the screen housing apart, do NOT take the internal LCD panel itself apart.
There's just no reason too, and it's actually setup with some kind of silicon gel contacts around
the edges and once pulled apart are very difficult to reassemble correctly. Trust me - I know! :roll:

The spring loaded hinges on the screen are quite powerful. Be careful when you play around
with them. IIRC, you don't have to take them all the way loose to disassemble things.

The ribbon style connectors for the keyboard and trac-ball are also pretty fragile.

When you remove the top housing over the floppy drive opening, it's a very tight fit. Wiggle
it carefully and go slow, take your time - it will come off, believe it or not. :)

Here are 2 links to guides for taking the STacy apart:

http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/h ... te=S_STacy

http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/stacy_e.htm#hard

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:00 am

DarkLord wrote:Also, when you have the screen housing apart, do NOT take the internal LCD panel itself apart.
There's just no reason too, and it's actually setup with some kind of silicon gel contacts around
the edges and once pulled apart are very difficult to reassemble correctly. Trust me - I know! :roll:

The spring loaded hinges on the screen are quite powerful. Be careful when you play around
with them. IIRC, you don't have to take them all the way loose to disassemble things.

So I don't have to remove the spring side of the hinge? That would be nice to avoid.

Bama
BAMA

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Bama wrote:So I don't have to remove the spring side of the hinge? That would be nice to avoid.

Bama

Only partially, IIRC. I don't remember ever having to take the whole thing off.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”