USB keyboard mouse issue with kvm

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

TXG/MNX
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

USB keyboard mouse issue with kvm

Postby TXG/MNX » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Hello,

I do have a KVM switch and it connected to my Cosmosex when I use the keyboard only and connect the KVM cable it works. When I plug in my keyboard & mouse KVM cable it doesn't work. When I connect only the mouse from the KVM cable it works
fine

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this. The same KVM is connected to several PC's and there work great with the keyboard and mouse.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: USB keyboard mouse issue with kvm

Postby Jookie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:00 pm

TXG/MNX wrote:Hello,

I do have a KVM switch and it connected to my Cosmosex when I use the keyboard only and connect the KVM cable it works. When I plug in my keyboard & mouse KVM cable it doesn't work. When I connect only the mouse from the KVM cable it works
fine

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this. The same KVM is connected to several PC's and there work great with the keyboard and mouse.

Do you have also the original keyboard connected to the injector, when using this KVM switch, or you left the original keyboard unconnected?

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:00 am

Hi,

The original keyboard is also still connected, because without that or dummy plug I it doesn't work I am aware of it.

This issue is this:

Mouse & KBD are connected to the KVM switch, then I switch to active port where the MegaSTE is connected.
The cable from the KVM switch will be connected to my COSMOSEX.
When I test when both KBD and Mouse are connected to the KVM switch the mouse doesn't work.
When I unplug the KBD from the KVM the mouse will work.
This is the only device that gives issues with this, every pc or mac I connect to the same KVM switch cable does work.
How can I troubleshoot this issue ?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:13 am

TXG/MNX wrote:This is the only device that gives issues with this, every pc or mac I connect to the same KVM switch cable does work.
How can I troubleshoot this issue ?

I'm not sure you can fix / investigate that, although if you come up with any idea, please share it with us :) The only thing I can think of now is to buy the same KVM switch (if it's not expensive) as you have and see what it does. Could you please specify your KVM brand and type?

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi,

This is the device http://www.budget-computers.nl/inmac-4-port-kvm-switch-sentinel.html

Type Inmac Sentinel 4-ports KVM switch

I did try several things

ps2 keyboard with then use on cosmosex ps2 > usb adapter keyboard works
usb keyboard on kvm switch > kvm cable usb on cosmosex does not work, usb keyboard directly connected to cosmosex does work
usb mouse on kvm switch > kvm cable usb on cosmosex does work, usb mouse directly connected to cosmosex does work

I doesn't matter which combination I choose to connect to my kvm any combination ps2/usb on PC/MAC it always works. Only on cosmosex I have issues sometimes with keyboard.

I think the USB doesn't recognizes the keyboard very well when the USB comes from kvm cable. On pc/mac both mouse and keyboard are detected fine only cosmosex only detects mouse.
Is there a way I can go to the raspberry console and troubleshoot and show what device is detected on USB when I connect it. Maybe we can find some usefull info there.

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:35 pm

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

What version of raspberry pi is inside the cosmosex i found a forum link that describes issues with KVM on certain models. http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86178&p=608604
I think maybe an updated USB stack/driver is needed.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 am

TXG/MNX wrote:I think the USB doesn't recognizes the keyboard very well when the USB comes from kvm cable. On pc/mac both mouse and keyboard are detected fine only cosmosex only detects mouse.
Is there a way I can go to the raspberry console and troubleshoot and show what device is detected on USB when I connect it. Maybe we can find some usefull info there.

You could log into console (using some ssh client, user root, password is 'ce'), and see what device it did detect by typing:
ls -l /dev/input/by-path/

TXG/MNX wrote:What version of raspberry pi is inside the cosmosex i found a forum link that describes issues with KVM on certain models. http://direct.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86178&p=608604
I think maybe an updated USB stack/driver is needed.

Damn, now that could be a problem... Maybe I could try to recompile the linux once again, but I'm not sure if the sources have been updated with that fix.

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi,

I got the issue solved. Browsing to several forums about raspberry pi, I found several people having issues.

Then someone this point me to this ps2 to usb adapter that was supported for the raspberry pi so I ordered one and connected my kvm switch cable.
It works :) I am very happy I will order a few more cables because I like to save money for a few more cosmosex devices in the future...

Link webshop in the Netherlands
http://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/usb-ps2-adapter

Link webshop in US
http://www.adafruit.com/product/971

I did have some ps2 to usb from china they work with every device, only not with the raspberry pi.
So jookie, you can focus now again on finishing the sting drivers 8)

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi,

I got the issue solved. Browsing to several forums about raspberry pi, I found several people having issues.

Then someone this point me to this ps2 to usb adapter that was supported for the raspberry pi so I ordered one and connected my kvm switch cable.
It works :) I am very happy I will order a few more cables because I like to save money for a few more cosmosex devices in the future...

Link webshop in the Netherlands
http://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/usb-ps2-adapter

Link webshop in US
http://www.adafruit.com/product/971

I did have some ps2 to usb from china they work with every device, only not with the raspberry pi.
So jookie, you can focus now again on finishing the sting drivers 8)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”