TCP/IP -> CE -> ST Serial?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

TCP/IP -> CE -> ST Serial?

Postby Android8675 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on connecting to the CE via telnet and sending the data to a serial program running on the ST? Looking to get a BBS program accessable via Internet without a PC.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: TCP/IP -> CE -> ST Serial?

Postby AdamK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:48 pm

CE is supposed to have full network support for ST someday (soon I hope).
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 am

I'm working on a STiNG version which works with CosmosEx, so there won't be a need for the serial connection like you mentioned. The current version is able to connect to ftp server using aFTP, list the files and change the directories, but there's something wrong with retrieving files (at this moment). At least a couple of weeks of work need to be spent with finishing this STiNG replacement...

...and as I'm currently spending my time on manufacturing another batch, then also developing a newer version of device with SCSI interface, and possibly doing fixes for serious issues (if some appear), I'm short on time, so as always - this feature would be available sooner if someone would take that in his hands and work just on this one ;) Sooo, anyone?

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Jookie, this sounds totally awesome.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 am

Jookie: the problem with FTP might be that in usually default) active mode, FTP opens new connection for download. It can also work in passive mode, where the same connection is used for download - if that is the case, you could release STiNG support with this info. This problem often happens with NATs, and has to be handled carefully.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:06 am

AdamK wrote:Jookie: the problem with FTP might be that in usually default) active mode, FTP opens new connection for download. It can also work in passive mode, where the same connection is used for download - if that is the case, you could release STiNG support with this info. This problem often happens with NATs, and has to be handled carefully.

Thank you for the info about the NATs, I know about the previously mentioned things, and the active connection is currently not supported, because all the connections now are going out of the device, and the active ftp connection requires also connection going to the device, and few weeks ago I thought these incoming connections would be needed only for server apps on ST, and I didn't think of the active ftp connection, so this needs some improvements...

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:39 am

Android8675 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on connecting to the CE via telnet and sending the data to a serial program running on the ST? Looking to get a BBS program accessable via Internet without a PC.

Ever thought about the semi-traditional (well, widely accepted now anyway) use
of a Lantronix UDS device to get your Atari online for a BBS? Been doing just that
with my Mega ST4 and my BBS, for *many* years and counting.

Absolutely no "PC" involved in the operation anywhere... :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:28 pm

DarkLord wrote:Ever thought about the semi-traditional (well, widely accepted now anyway) use
of a Lantronix UDS device to get your Atari online for a BBS? Been doing just that
with my Mega ST4 and my BBS, for *many* years and counting.

Absolutely no "PC" involved in the operation anywhere... :)

I know that's an option DL, but I just got a CosmosEx, wasn't really looking to spend more money, just wondering if the CE could accept telnet and redirect to whatever serial application is running.

Actually I'm not really even wondering that, I know I've heard Jookie talking about it, and I know he's busy. I guess I was wondering if there are any coders working with the CE to do something of this nature, or at least urge someone with more coding experience than myself to perhaps take on the challenge?

Addendum: rLogin support would be bitchin. Run the ST BBS or Door as a door from Synchronet/flashweb.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:35 am

Android8675 wrote:I know that's an option DL, but I just got a CosmosEx, wasn't really looking to spend more money, just wondering if the CE could accept telnet and redirect to whatever serial application is running.

Yeah, that's the point - if you already have the hardware, it's then just a matter of software :)

Android8675 wrote:I guess I was wondering if there are any coders working with the CE to do something of this nature, or at least urge someone with more coding experience than myself to perhaps take on the challenge?

I agree, it would be nice if someone could help with that, but for now it seems that I'll do what has to be done to make it work, and I hope that someone could then later help me with fixes...

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

Android8675 wrote:I know that's an option DL, but I just got a CosmosEx, wasn't really looking to spend more money, just wondering if the CE could accept telnet and redirect to whatever serial application is running.

I understand, just thought I'd mention it - I fully agree with you and Jookie.

Android8675 wrote:Addendum: rLogin support would be bitchin. Run the ST BBS or Door as a door from Synchronet/flashweb.

No doubt. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Android8675
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Android8675 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:07 pm

I got the door ST Nationals working, wish I could find the source for this surprisingly fun doorgame. (Drag racing with the ability to tweak stuff like gear ratios, so appeals to gear heads) At any rate, looking forward to what may come in 2015.

-A.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”