read-errors on disk-images using floppy disk emulation

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Matthias
Atarian
Atarian

read-errors on disk-images using floppy disk emulation

Postby Matthias » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Most functions of my CosmosEx are working very well. Harddisks, network- and usb-drives are configured and i can use them as expected. Thanks to Jookie for this great hardware!

But i have still two problems with the floppy emulation (a big and a small one). First some information: I use the cosmosEx externaly, therfore i tuned my Atari 1040 STE with a switch, to change Floppy A with Floppy B. The drive ID of the cosmosEx-Floppy-configuration is set to drive 0 (at setting '1' i couldn't access the emulated floppy).

This works, but there is the first (small) problem.
1. When i access to the emulated CosmosEx-Floppy (no matter if it's set to drive A or drive B via the hardware-switch), the motor of the other (the physical) floppy starts to run. Has anyone an idea of the reason and how to solve it?

2. The bigger problem is, that there are lots of read errors, while loading images from the emulated drive. To encircle the error, i used Fastcopy and scanned some virtual disks. Fastcopy also showed lots of RNF/Seek- or checksum-errors.

I copied some diskimages with Fastcopy to real disks. While reading the source, i had to commit and reread lots of sectors because of the errors, lots of times. But after a while i had a functional physical copy of the image. I did that with about 5 images, and all of them are starting now without any read-write-problems from the physical drive (with some other problems at runtime, but that´s another story). So there cannot be any fundamental problem with the data integrity of the disk-images. When i read the same image several times, the errors are not always at the same sectors, the problem appears to occur randomly.

To be sure that the problem does not come from the self-made cable, i opened the Atari and changed the physical drive with the cosmosEx. So the cosmosEx was now connected internal and the physical drive was extern, using the self-made cable. The problem was still at accessing disk-images from the cosmosEx and i could read physical disks without problems. So, there is no problem with the cable.
Another (maybe important) information: For powering the cosmosEx i use an USB-Charger with an output of 2.1 Ampere. I also tried it with an iPhone-charger.

Any ideas of the reason?
Last edited by Matthias on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: read-errors on disk-images using floppy disk emulation

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm

Since there is only 1 motor control line for both floppies, it's normal that both motors run at once. Motor on signal activates motor in drive even if it is not selected (LED is off) - this is intentional, to reduce spin-up times.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Hey there. I am having a couple of long time problems with my CE for my 520. I have to use it as an external drive as well. I mostly have connectivity problems, but my other big one is I can't run any programs off an emulated floppy. I get an error message like this:

http://troyh.us/FTPshare/pieproductions ... 131134.jpg

Is this like what you get? I am using the CE as drive A: (I really don't know how to switch it to B:) and I am powering it with a USB cable plugged into my desktop.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:55 am

I have two CosmosEx units one installed internally the other one installed externally.
The STE with CE as internal unit has also a floppy drive connected externally and a switch so I can switch the two drives as A - B
The other STE has and internal floppy and CE connected externally so on this one the internal drive is A and the external is B
For cables please refer to my CosmosEx user guide for dummies in this page http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/dev ... smosEx.php
and http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/int ... _Connector

I have not done extensive tests on CE floppy emulation but it works ok for me the only limitations I have found are
- does not work well because of CE driver not friendly with games. So if want to play games do not load CE_DD (need to e fixed)
- at the moment emulation is read only
- does not read all msa format

As AtariZoll mentioned the motor spinning is the expected behavior :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:57 pm

I just retested the floppy emulation using the latest CE software and works fine for me.

FYI the latest software allows to remotely load images directly from your PC using the Web server on CE.
Pretty cool

New version of my CE User's guide documenting the new features here http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:59 am

Hello,

there is an updated version of Franz (the floppy low level chip) firmware, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26842&p=263889#p263889

Please update your device and see if the problems are still there, or they are gone now.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”