Cosmos Ex setup as external floppy drive?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Cosmos Ex setup as external floppy drive?

Postby eebuckeye » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Can I keep the floppy installed internally on my 1040STFM and connect the Cosmos Ex as an external floppy to use .ST images? If so where could I buy the cable?

I would like to continue to use the hard drive feature at the same time but want to keep my internal floppy as drive A.

Thanks!

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Cosmos Ex setup as external floppy drive?

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eebuckeye » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:19 am

Thanks!

After making that cable the Cosmos Ex would floppy would work as drive B? Is there anywhere to buy this cable?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 am

eebuckeye wrote:Thanks!

After making that cable the Cosmos Ex would floppy would work as drive B? Is there anywhere to buy this cable?

Yes normally the straps inside the Atari ST/STE are set so that an external floppy is seen as drive B (you can have a look here http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/int ... _Connector )

So if you make the cable and set the CosmosEx floppy drive to Drive ID 0 in the configuration the floppy emulation is seen as drive B by the Atari.

Unfortunately I am not aware that you can buy this cable from someone (good project see below)
I was lucky to have a broken SF314 Atari external drive. So I have been able to use the adapter board to connect to my Atari as described in my guide

What I would recommend is to buy an external floppy cable like this http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Atari-520-1040-S ... 2597d75fba cut the cable in the middle and solder it to an IDC34 female connector like http://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/connecteurs-idc/4542413/
Follow indication in my guide.

@jookie if you are reading
May be you should contact Przemyslaw Krawczyk at http://www.lotharek.pl/ as he says
So, If you have interesting idea/project, do not hesitate to contact me. I may be able to commercialize Your project worldwide.

Pretty sure lots of people would be interested (I would) in this kind of hard to make cable.

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ryan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:49 pm

So I'm having a bit of an issue doing this (external CosmosEx) and an old SF314 drive and a 520STM (first model of 520 with no internal floppy) I am working on restoring as well as a 1040STF (with working internal floppy).

Basically I pulled the PCB out of the SF314, and use its power and cabling to hook up the CE. The 520 boots up ACSI and Drive O is available --hooray! But the floppy piece of the equation never works; I assign downloaded .ST images to each of the slots, but double clicking on the drives brings nothing up, just hangs and then says the drive isn't responding (for drive A or B)

To be fair, I also have the same problem with an HxC2001 hooked up in the same way, with a bunch of different jumper settings tried. So maybe it's something about the SF314 PCB itself? I'm loathe to go butchering the cable to solder it directly to a header, though.

I see mention of removing the polarizing tab in the manual -- this concerns me a bit, should this really be necessary?

R

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 pm

ryan wrote:So I'm having a bit of an issue doing this (external CosmosEx) and an old SF314 drive and a 520STM (first model of 520 with no internal floppy) I am working on restoring as well as a 1040STF (with working internal floppy).

Basically I pulled the PCB out of the SF314, and use its power and cabling to hook up the CE. The 520 boots up ACSI and Drive O is available --hooray! But the floppy piece of the equation never works; I assign downloaded .ST images to each of the slots, but double clicking on the drives brings nothing up, just hangs and then says the drive isn't responding (for drive A or B)

To be fair, I also have the same problem with an HxC2001 hooked up in the same way, with a bunch of different jumper settings tried. So maybe it's something about the SF314 PCB itself? I'm loathe to go butchering the cable to solder it directly to a header, though.

I see mention of removing the polarizing tab in the manual -- this concerns me a bit, should this really be necessary?

R

Yes this is really strange but the connector was backward. The SF314 I had came with a very old very thick totally broken drive. I do not know if this drives had their connector reverse compare to modern drive.
see problem viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26930&start=25#p258958
ans solution for me viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26930&start=25#p259340

read this thread it described all problems I had before finding the solution
hope this help

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah so I tried this and yep the drive letters now respond, but it is very flakey and not usable for some reason. With 3 different .ST images the floppy does not consistently work, I can't load any games, etc. because it can't seem to load off the drive for more than a few seconds. I'll try it again tonight with a 1040 (this was a 520STM) and compare w/ the HxC set up the same way and see. I should mention this is with using a USB power supply, not the SF314 power supply, but it works fine for hard drive action.

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 pm

I've got a bit of a different situation from you. But I have found that when the CE is powered by a USB plug, some features don't work if the plug isn't giving it enough power. For example one plug didn't have the internet connection work, but a different one did. But I have found you can't go wrong if its powered by a laptop or PC. Hope that helps, later.

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Sowden wrote:I've got a bit of a different situation from you. But I have found that when the CE is powered by a USB plug, some features don't work if the plug isn't giving it enough power. For example one plug didn't have the internet connection work, but a different one did. But I have found you can't go wrong if its powered by a laptop or PC. Hope that helps, later.

Yeah I was wondering about that. But pretty crazy for the Pi's GPIO to work for ACSI but not floppy?

ryan

Postby ryan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:46 am

So I tried again tonight; HxC w/ SF314 cable (reversed with notch cut off) and power from the SF314 power supply works, though it requires some contortions with all the twistiness. Unfortunately the same can't be said for CosmosEx, where the floppy is erratic as described before :-(

Not sure how many amps the SF314 power supply is feeding to the CE, I can measure that next, compare to USB, and maybe even measure the power draw on the HxC to compare and see if it's a power thing. But I am thinking this is unlikely. Maybe it's something about this old 520 and some timing issue on the CE?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 am

ryan wrote:Not sure how many amps the SF314 power supply is feeding to the CE, I can measure that next, compare to USB, and maybe even measure the power draw on the HxC to compare and see if it's a power thing. But I am thinking this is unlikely. Maybe it's something about this old 520 and some timing issue on the CE?

Well, it may be something related to the old machine, but I didn't measure it yet with mine, so I can't tell at this moment (works fine with other STs).

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54 am

ryan wrote:So I tried again tonight; HxC w/ SF314 cable (reversed with notch cut off) and power from the SF314 power supply works, though it requires some contortions with all the twistiness. Unfortunately the same can't be said for CosmosEx, where the floppy is erratic as described before :-(

Not sure how many amps the SF314 power supply is feeding to the CE, I can measure that next, compare to USB, and maybe even measure the power draw on the HxC to compare and see if it's a power thing. But I am thinking this is unlikely. Maybe it's something about this old 520 and some timing issue on the CE?

The power delivered by the SF314 power supply is written on the box. It may differ in different country but mine deliver 720 mA on 5v and 210 mA on 12v
So plenty of power compared to officially 500 mA for USB

ryan

Postby ryan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I might try to wire up my Logic analyzer to both the HxC and the CosmosEx during boot and then post screenshots of what's happening here.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

ryan wrote:I might try to wire up my Logic analyzer to both the HxC and the CosmosEx during boot and then post screenshots of what's happening here.

Power supply, Ground reference problem, Input switching voltage level compatibility, Input filtering, Output driving capability... They may have multiples reasons/parameters for such problems.
For the HxC you can assume that it uses 150mA to work.
(an oscilloscope may be better than a logic analyser here ;) )

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”