Mega vs Sandwich install

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Mega vs Sandwich install

Postby ryan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:17 pm

I've just won an auction for a rather sad and beaten up old Mega ST.

Apart from the IKBD injector is there anything different in install? That is, do I need to buy a new CE with a different case, or will I be able to use mine as is apart from the injector (which I may not use anyways, as I'm find with the Mega's external keyboard)

R

ryan

Re: Mega vs Sandwich install

Postby ryan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:56 pm

I see the Mega ST has an internal ACSI connector. But it's a 24 pin connector, whereas the ACSI connector on the CE is 20. So I guess I'd need to build my own ribbon cable to do the conversion, or buy one of these: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=93

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:14 am

ryan wrote:Apart from the IKBD injector is there anything different in install? That is, do I need to buy a new CE with a different case, or will I be able to use mine as is apart from the injector (which I may not use anyways, as I'm find with the Mega's external keyboard)

Well, there is no other case for CE, and this case would fit in the place of floppy drive, but you still need to modify the case or do something else instead. The point of the injector is that you can keep the Mega's external keyboard if you like it, and use USB mouse and / or joysticks with it if you want, so keeping the Mega's external keyboard isn't a case against using the injector.

ryan wrote:I see the Mega ST has an internal ACSI connector. But it's a 24 pin connector, whereas the ACSI connector on the CE is 20. So I guess I'd need to build my own ribbon cable to do the conversion, or buy one of these: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=93

Yes, you're right. If you make your own cable or buy the one from lotharek, please post some photos - it might be interesting to see it (e.g. the lotharek's page doesn't have a photo of the real convertor, just the pictures I have on my page, and which I never tried to build myself ;) ).

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Why on earth Atari had to use a 24 pin internal connector vs the 20 pins that go to external I have no idea. Annoying.

I am trying to decide between ordering from Lotharek with all the long delay shipping to North America + shipping costs, customs, etc. or getting my own PCB printed, which will cost more, require me doing my own soldering, etc.

Do you know if the PCB design files are available for this to get it printed at OSH Park, for example?

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Had to get a SD reader for my Atari 8-bit anyways, so did an order with Lotharek. I'll let you know how it goes.

ryan

Postby ryan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:54 am

So the internal ACSI cable from Lotharek came. He very kindly put both the Mega ST and the Mega STe cable in, which is good as I have a Mega STe on the way from Germany right now.

So the cable seems to work, though CosmosEx itself continues to not work on this Mega ST. I get to the 'CEDD booter' screen and freeze. I'm going to buy an EPROM burner and EPROMS this week and burn some new ROMs for myself.

But a further problem is that the internal ACSI cable is about 2-3 inches too short to reach the CosmosEx when it's mounted in the floppy slot. So it will need a 20 pin -> 20 pin extender before it can work.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”