CosmosEx not working

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

CosmosEx not working

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:47 am

I've finally gotten around to testing out my CE. Hooked it into a 1040 of mine, replacing the floppy. Hooked up the floppy connectors, power from floppy connector, ACSI connector, and did the IKBD injection. I turn it on, blue light blinks, PWR light turns on, the ST boots past a blank screen (no TOS welcome message or anything else) to the desktop. I wait a while, hoping for the CE to have time to boot, hit reset on the ST, but get no ComosEx boot screen, nothing. Try to install drive O and it's not available.

The unit came with the Rpi and sdcard preinstalled. Identifying markings on the Rpi are: FCC ID 2A9CB-RPI21. Raspberry Pi (C) 2011.12.

I haven't had luck getting HDMI to present anything, but am about to try again.

ryan

Re: CosmosEx not working

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Some new information on this:

I updated my CE with the latest firmware (I never had wired network downstairs where I was using it so couldn't do that before) -- downloaded a new drive image, dd'd it over, then hooked it up to ethernet, did the update, and then tried again. With two different 1040STfs.

In the original scenario -- 1040STf internal drive, not sure of TOS ROM version# (ROMs underneath the shielding, so can't see, Desk / Info says (C) 85/87, motherboard is printed with Rev. 1) instead of blank screen and no response from CE I now get a CEDD boot loader 'fail' message; one of the two fail conditions in the bootloader asm seems to be getting hit. I'm thinking of recompiling the bootloader with some additional diagnostic messages to see exactly where it fails.

I tried it on my other 1040STf which I was surprised to find although it is in better cosmetic condition is actually an older machine -- Desk / Info (C) 1986. Probably TOS 1.0. Because I don't want to damage the case on that one and it has a working floppy I tried it externally using an old Atari floppy board / power supply. On this one boot proceeds to the CEDD without 'fail' but then dies with bombs (can't remember if 3 or 4, I'm at work now so can't see.)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:47 pm

I would recommend you start simple :)
Just a power supply and a connection using the ACSI connector (no IKBD for now :))
Read viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999 CosmosEx fur dummies to get basic info.

I suppose you have not yet configured you CE
If CE_DD bomb at startup tried to hold shift key

Provide more info to get help :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:53 pm

ryan wrote:Some new information on this:

I updated my CE with the latest firmware (I never had wired network downstairs where I was using it so couldn't do that before) -- downloaded a new drive image, dd'd it over, then hooked it up to ethernet, did the update, and then tried again. With two different 1040STfs.

In the original scenario -- 1040STf internal drive, not sure of TOS ROM version# (ROMs underneath the shielding, so can't see, Desk / Info says (C) 85/87, motherboard is printed with Rev. 1) instead of blank screen and no response from CE I now get a CEDD boot loader 'fail' message; one of the two fail conditions in the bootloader asm seems to be getting hit. I'm thinking of recompiling the bootloader with some additional diagnostic messages to see exactly where it fails.

I tried it on my other 1040STf which I was surprised to find although it is in better cosmetic condition is actually an older machine -- Desk / Info (C) 1986. Probably TOS 1.0. Because I don't want to damage the case on that one and it has a working floppy I tried it externally using an old Atari floppy board / power supply. On this one boot proceeds to the CEDD without 'fail' but then dies with bombs (can't remember if 3 or 4, I'm at work now so can't see.)

How do you update CE if you cant start the configuration program?
Try to hold shift key during boot
then start config from floppy and later ce_dd from floppy

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:57 pm

I updated the CE by attaching keyboard and monitor to it and logging in and updating it as per the instructions for doing that.

Pretty sure my same problems are talked about elsewhere on this forum -- issues with TOS 1.0

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Home now, couple things after trying again.

It's 4 bombs on boot after 'CEDD Bootloader' when hooked up externally on a 1040STf which reports (C) 1985 under Desk / Info (so likely TOS 1.0). I had said 1986 earlier but was mistaken. This is without IKBD. And I tried combinations with either no-ACSI or no-floppy hooked up, neither boots correctly.

Holding down shift does nothing different.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Use sysinfo to get your TOS version https://sites.google.com/site/stessenti ... ls/sysinfo

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:29 am

ryan wrote:It's 4 bombs on boot after 'CEDD Bootloader' when hooked up externally ...

There's a workaround for that, see more here:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26919&p=261691#p261691

ryan

Postby ryan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Ok so I updated, and latest situation is this:

With the 1040STF with the CE hooked up externally that was giving the 4 bombs, boot now proceeds normally.

With the other 1040STF hooked up internally that before just gave blank and then no CE, now it proceeds to a 'CEDD bootloader' message but never gets passed that.

It's possible the latter machine is simply busted; maybe broken power supply. I don't have a working floppy for it, so can't run TOS version check on it or any other diagnostics. Probably this will be yet another parts machine for me.

The CE will probably end up in one of the Mega ST/STEs I've just bought off eBay. :-)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”