Small question about HD driver and initial config...

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Re: Small question about HD driver and initial config...

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:47 am

DrCoolZic wrote:
Gryzor wrote:I *think* I get it, thanks for the explanation. Maybe this should be added to the great manual...

That way I managed to see ID 2 from PP's partitioning program. I made a partition, booted, but when I tried to install the driver to it it threw me a Write Error and now when I'm booting, right after CE's boot messages I'm getting three bombs.

But that's not an issue for you I guess :)

Well first I though I made this clear but I will double check and may be add more info. It is true that translated is may be not the most appropriate name?

As far as your error, I believe that what you describe is the expected behavior :lol: :oops: 8O
If I understand correctly your configuration you have SD on ID0, RAW on ID1, and TRAN on ID2
Therefore ID2 is the config partition and ... this partition is read only as it is mounted from RPi. Therefore trying to partition it wont work :mrgreen:
I believe that HDD wont let you do that (need to check)

Huh, wait, this means SD is not ID0?? But the boot message always reported (IIRC) that the device was found on 0!

...and I just loaded the Partitioner program and indeed finds my USB stick at ACSI 2. The driver reports:
#0 JOOKIE CosmosEx 0
Capacity: 7582 MB DOS type

Partitions: 0

#1 JOOKIE CosmosEx 1
#2 Jookie CosmosEx 2
Capacity: 7904 MB DOS type

Partitions: 0

(playing around you see...)

(speaking of which, it's stated in the CE config that higher letters must be assigned and leave C alone. For me C translates as the ROM module, however the Partitioner seems to prefer C?)
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:20 am

Hum I am confuse now! Are you talking about ID0 or ID2?

Lets assume you have: ID0=SD, ID1=RAW, and ID2=TRAN and Mount USB as RAW
If you have an SD card installed, you can partition the media on ACSI 0 with PPD
If you have an USB memory stick in an USB port you can also partition the media on ACSI 1 with PPD
But even though when scanning bus you will find a device on ID2 you are not allowed to partition this device

I have just checked PPP12U and it wont allow you to partition the ID2
also I think you mentionned you have loaded the driver with USAB10V (experimental) I would recommend you use USAB10

On which media are you trying to install the driver? The sd card? the USB stick? the configuration drive?

Note for Jookie. It use to be that the CE_DD driver was loaded after the PPD if an ID was assigned to TRAN (this was not working with HDD). But now it seems that this is not happening anymore? Did you change something in CE_DD so it does not load if another driver is loaded?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:21 am

I see you have added more info ...
let me time to review :)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 am

Whoa. All of a sudden, it worked.

O is not automatically created, but can be mounted alright, so no biggie. I now have a small partition (what's the limit for F16?) on my USB, network works ok so I'm now copying games over :)

I did nothing different, same things...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 am

Can you please report your configuration because what the driver reports seems to indicate different config that what described?

be careful with letter assignment: this may not be the final assignment depending of other drive mounted.

O not created? you mean mounted? so you need to load CE_DD right?

You have small partition on USB. Did you create it?
F16 is 32MB max. However normally PPD partitionner do NOT create F16 partitions but C16 (DOS&TOS) partitions with a limit of 512MB so how did you create your F16???

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Hum I am confuse now! Are you talking about ID0 or ID2?

Lets assume you have: ID0=SD, ID1=RAW, and ID2=TRAN and Mount USB as RAW
If you have an SD card installed, you can partition the media on ACSI 0 with PPD
If you have an USB memory stick in an USB port you can also partition the media on ACSI 1 with PPD
But even though when scanning bus you will find a device on ID2 you are not allowed to partition this device

I have just checked PPP12U and it wont allow you to partition the ID2
also I think you mentionned you have loaded the driver with USAB10V (experimental) I would recommend you use USAB10

On which media are you trying to install the driver? The sd card? the USB stick? the configuration drive?

Note for Jookie. It use to be that the CE_DD driver was loaded after the PPD if an ID was assigned to TRAN (this was not working with HDD). But now it seems that this is not happening anymore? Did you change something in CE_DD so it does not load if another driver is loaded?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

no reply just quote?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:46 am

Jookie if you are following.
I found that the behavior of loading or not the driver depends on the TOS
I just made the same test on the machine with TOS1.62 and CE_DD is automatically loaded where with TOS2.x it is not
Therefore the behavior of the TOS has changed. Seems that with 2.x once a boot loader is found the TOS is not looking for boot loader on subsequent partitions.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:46 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Can you please report your configuration because what the driver reports seems to indicate different config that what described?

be careful with letter assignment: this may not be the final assignment depending of other drive mounted.

F16 is 32MB max. However normally PPD partitionner do NOT create F16 partitions but C16 (DOS&TOS) partitions with a limit of 512MB so how did you create your F16???

DrCoolZic wrote:Can you please report your configuration because what the driver reports seems to indicate different config that what described?

Oh damn, there went my reply.... I'll first reply to your previous comment:

Actually, ID0=SD, ID1=Tran and ID2=RAW, mount USB as RAW.

I thought the SD could not be partitioned? In any case, I wouldn't want to do that as I wanted to keep the original boot config.

Anyway, about this:

...and that's exactly what I've done however :D

Initial goal was to mount the USB as HDD, install the driver (indeed not 10v but 10) to it and keep the SD as-is.

About your second reply:

Oh, we posted at the seme moment.

O not created - apologies, I was not clear enough, I meant it was not mounted and shown on desktop. But I can do it manually without using CE_DD.

I created the small partition indeed. It's a 8GB USB stick, Partitioner insists on doing a 1.6GB F32 partition as C and reports 2GB on the USB. So I was left with 300MB which I put into a **C16** partition (not F16, my bad). Here's a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/cFtTQ0J

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 am

OK now it make more sense so ID1=TRAN and ID2=RAW so yes you can partition ACSI 2

I see that you use PPP13U this one is supposed to handle large capacity over 2 GB (limit with PPP12U) so it is strange that is only report 2GB. I have tested with an 8GB SD card and it did work. So might be a problem with CosmosEx not reporting correctly USB stick. I need to test.

If partitioner forces C as 1.7GB this is a bug in PP13U ??? make no sense. You will NOT be able to use F32 partition on TOS unless you use Mint or equivalent. So this is a useless partition

If other partition is C16 300MB then using the PPD driver allow to access this partition with no problem.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:05 am

DrCoolZic wrote:OK now it make more sense so ID1=TRAN and ID2=RAW so yes you can partition ACSI 2

I see that you use PPP13U this one is supposed to handle large capacity over 2 GB (limit with PPP12U) so it is strange that is only report 2GB. I have tested with an 8GB SD card and it did work. So might be a problem with CosmosEx not reporting correctly USB stick. I need to test.

If partitioner forces C as 1.7GB this is a bug in PP13U ??? make no sense. You will NOT be able to use F32 partition on TOS unless you use Mint or equivalent. So this is a useless partition

If other partition is C16 300MB then using the PPD driver allow to access this partition with no problem.

Ah ok, now we're getting somewhere :)

Yeah, strange the Partitioner doesn't see the whole disk. Do you know the limit on C16?

Yes, the first partition is useless indeed, can't mount it. As for it forcing it - I tried leaving the size empty or setting it to zero, but after partitioning it keeps popping back.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:09 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Note for Jookie. It use to be that the CE_DD driver was loaded after the PPD if an ID was assigned to TRAN (this was not working with HDD). But now it seems that this is not happening anymore? Did you change something in CE_DD so it does not load if another driver is loaded?

No, no change there. I guess I saw somewhere that the currently loaded driver can return some value to TOS after finishing execution, which would tell TOS not to load any further boot sectors and drivers, so I would say that if PPD is loaded first and then CE_DD isn't loaded, then probably PPD returned that value to TOS, or unintentionally didn't clear something and the TOS thought that it shouldn't load another driver -- I don't really know, I'm just guessing...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Jookie wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:Note for Jookie. It use to be that the CE_DD driver was loaded after the PPD if an ID was assigned to TRAN (this was not working with HDD). But now it seems that this is not happening anymore? Did you change something in CE_DD so it does not load if another driver is loaded?

No, no change there. I guess I saw somewhere that the currently loaded driver can return some value to TOS after finishing execution, which would tell TOS not to load any further boot sectors and drivers, so I would say that if PPD is loaded first and then CE_DD isn't loaded, then probably PPD returned that value to TOS, or unintentionally didn't clear something and the TOS thought that it shouldn't load another driver -- I don't really know, I'm just guessing...

As mention seems like behavior has changed with TOS 2.06. I am currently updating my documentation

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 am

Gryzor wrote:Yes, the first partition is useless indeed, can't mount it. As for it forcing it - I tried leaving the size empty or setting it to zero, but after partitioning it keeps popping back.

FYI: I have reported the problem to Peter.
he gave me a new version of partitioner but it still does not report the correct size for my hard drive (limited to 2 GB)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 am

DrCoolZic wrote:
Gryzor wrote:Yes, the first partition is useless indeed, can't mount it. As for it forcing it - I tried leaving the size empty or setting it to zero, but after partitioning it keeps popping back.

FYI: I have reported the problem to Peter.
he gave me a new version of partitioner but it still does not report the correct size for my hard drive (limited to 2 GB)

Actually I made a little of progress this morning: I realised that the first partition that appears populated is the FAT32 partition I had formatted under Windows. If I delete the partitions under Windows then the drive appears blank and I can do whatever. So... a bit silly, apologies :) Still, I couldn't do anything with it - delete it etc.

However the 2GB limit remains. As is the fact that my 8GB FAT32 partition was being reported as 1.7GB (and leaving 300MB out of the visible 2GB).

Peter sent me 1.3 as well, but indeed the problem persists. So maybe it's something to do with CosmosEx?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 am

Yes apparently this works well on ultrasatan but not on CosmosEx. Here is a quote from him
Found problem in partitioner's detecting of large capacity USB drive, I hope.
There was only half sec timeout for SCSI capacity command, what worked well with Satans and normal SCSI drives via adapters. But likely, that USB thing responds slower. So, I put there 2 sec timeout, as is in driver.

But this did not fixed it :(

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:49 am

Yeah... seems like this might be a PP/CE issue...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:42 am

As I wrote yesterday - I will have to check that out, and I didn't have time for it yesterday, so possibly today or tomorrow (either when I manage not to fall asleep with the kid, or if I manage to wake up at least 2 hours before going to work - 04:00 AM). In the mean time I bought the PPD, so I can test it directly...

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 am

No worries man, thanks for the support!

It's not critical anyhow, just annoying :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”