Small question about HD driver and initial config...

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Small question about HD driver and initial config...

Postby Gryzor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm

So, I bought PP's driver which seems to work like a charm so I'm quite happy.

At the same time, at last I managed to make CosmosEx to initialise as it should auto-configuring itself and mounting O (up to now and despite several attempts I had to manually configure things... and no O, M or N).

I downloaded PP's HDD-adapted games. Many (most? didn't try more than a handful) require his driver to be installed and present to load (Netherworld, which I tried first by chance, didn't complain).

So, my question is, how do I keep ComosEx' auto-config and auto-mounting AND have PP's driver running? I'm kind of baffled.

My setup has the CosmosEx with a USB flash drive installed and a network folder mounted.

Thanks!
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Re: Small question about HD driver and initial config...

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 am

Anyone? Noone? :)
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 am

Gryzor wrote:So, I bought PP's driver which seems to work like a charm so I'm quite happy.
At the same time, at last I managed to make CosmosEx to initialise as it should auto-configuring itself and mounting O (up to now and despite several attempts I had to manually configure things... and no O, M or N).
I downloaded PP's HDD-adapted games. Many (most? didn't try more than a handful) require his driver to be installed and present to load (Netherworld, which I tried first by chance, didn't complain).
So, my question is, how do I keep ComosEx' auto-config and auto-mounting AND have PP's driver running? I'm kind of baffled.
My setup has the CosmosEx with a USB flash drive installed and a network folder mounted.

What is your intended setup? I mean - you have PP's driver and you mention USB flash drive, so:
- you use the USB flash drive as translated (with CE_DD) and want to run games out of it?
- or you use the USB flash drive as RAW (with PP's driver) ans want to run games out of it?

As the games haven't been tested with CE_DD, I guess there might be some issues when running games from translated drives.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:30 am

Jookie wrote:
What is your intended setup? I mean - you have PP's driver and you mention USB flash drive, so:
- you use the USB flash drive as translated (with CE_DD) and want to run games out of it?
- or you use the USB flash drive as RAW (with PP's driver) ans want to run games out of it?

As the games haven't been tested with CE_DD, I guess there might be some issues when running games from translated drives.

Jookie to the rescue! Thanks for your continued support, man...

Good questions. I currently use my USB flash drive as translated, and games complain because they can't find the driver installed. So the question that stemmed from that was if I can have PP's driver installed AND keep CE's booting config (I tried installing PP on the SD card once and I lost the auto-mounts...).

Or, since I've got network shares working ok (remarkably easy!) and it's not so necessary to interchange data with the PC through the USB, could I use it as RAW and install PP on the USB? Would I still have CE's boot config intact?

My main point in all of this is: -have PP installed AND -have CE's initial setup active. Possible?

Thanks again :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:38 am

Gryzor wrote:Good questions. I currently use my USB flash drive as translated, and games complain because they can't find the driver installed. So the question that stemmed from that was if I can have PP's driver installed AND keep CE's booting config (I tried installing PP on the SD card once and I lost the auto-mounts...).

Or, since I've got network shares working ok (remarkably easy!) and it's not so necessary to interchange data with the PC through the USB, could I use it as RAW and install PP on the USB? Would I still have CE's boot config intact?

My main point in all of this is: -have PP installed AND -have CE's initial setup active. Possible?

Having the USB key as RAW is OK, installing any RAW driver (PP, HDDRIVER, ICD Pro) should work with that, too, and having it together with CE_DD should work, too, although I'm not sure which one should start first - this can be affected by the order of ACSI IDs (the ST loads the drivers from lower ACSI IDs first, then continues to higher ACSI IDs). So it should be possible, but if you will get some games crashing because of CE_DD being loaded, you can avoid loading of CE_DD by pressing CTRL or ALT or SHIFT key when you see the CEDD BOOT message and holding it for like 2 seconds.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:42 am

Cheers, will try that later on :)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 am

Ok, so I set ID 1 to RAW, Mount USB media as raw and already lost the boot config with O etc... am I doing something wrong?

ID 0 is set to SD.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 am

Gryzor wrote:Ok, so I set ID 1 to RAW, Mount USB media as raw and already lost the boot config with O etc... am I doing something wrong?

ID 0 is set to SD.

Yes, if you remove ACSI ID from TRAN, the CE_DD won't boot from the device, but you should be able to access the USB key and the SD card under the specified ACSI IDs, so the PP driver will be able to boot from and work with both of them. This setup is now good for testing the games - if they still have the issues, even if the CE_DD won't appear at all.

If you want to have the CE_DD booting from the device again, get the configuration tool from here: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=474
and run it from floppy to set up the ACSI ID to TRAN again.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:07 am

Jookie wrote:
Yes, if you remove ACSI ID from TRAN, the CE_DD won't boot from the device, but you should be able to access the USB key and the SD card under the specified ACSI IDs, so the PP driver will be able to boot from and work with both of them. This setup is now good for testing the games - if they still have the issues, even if the CE_DD won't appear at all.

If you want to have the CE_DD booting from the device again, get the configuration tool from here: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=474
and run it from floppy to set up the ACSI ID to TRAN again.

Hm, so if I set the USB to RAW and ID0 is still SD I can't boot normally?

And, by extension, it means I can't install PP's driver AND boot normally, then?

Btw, I didn't remove any IDs on purpose, I guess one of my actions did it?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am

Gryzor wrote:Hm, so if I set the USB to RAW and ID0 is still SD I can't boot normally?
And, by extension, it means I can't install PP's driver AND boot normally, then?

No, it should boot when the media (USB key and SD card) are present. For example:
- having ACSI ID 0 assigned to SD card, and having SD card inserted will get you booting from the SD card, if it has some driver installed (e.g. PP's driver)
- having ACSI ID 1 assigned to RAW, having set the 'Mount USB media as RAW', and having the USB key inserted will get you booting from USB key, if it has some driver installed on it

But my guess is that:
- having some lower ACSI ID (e.g. 0) assigned to something, and not having that media present (SD card not inserted, USB key not inserted) could lead to not booting from the device, as the ACSI ID with missing media will reply with some error to ST, and without trying I have no idea how the ST handles that.

So is your current setup ACSI ID 0 as SD, ACSI ID 1 as RAW, SD card inserted, USB key inserted?

Gryzor wrote:Btw, I didn't remove any IDs on purpose, I guess one of my actions did it?

No, if you didn't remove any IDs, then they should be fine.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Then this is weird...

Ok, let's try this step by step:

ComsosEx found on ID0.
O appears normally.

From Conf: 0 is SD, 1 is translated. Mount USB media as translated.

Changing: ID1 to raw, save.
Changing: Mount USB media as RAW, save.

Nothing else touched.

Exit to desktop. Reboot the ST.

...no luck. Boot message doesn't show up, O doesn't show up. The CE config program runs normally, hence can find the CE (I guess).

So, I guess something *is* wrong...

Btw, the USB flash drive doesn't have anything on it.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:42 pm

You need ACSI ID assigned to translated to boot CEDD, not to access translated drives them selves - they can be accessed through any assigned ACSI ID. So if you don't assign ACSI ID to translated, then it won't boot CEDD.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Jookie wrote:You need ACSI ID assigned to translated to boot CEDD, not to access translated drives them selves - they can be accessed through any assigned ACSI ID. So if you don't assign ACSI ID to translated, then it won't boot CEDD.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

As far as I can see I *do* have an ID assigned to both translated (1) and SD (0)... Is one of my steps incorrect?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 am

Gryzor wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
As far as I can see I *do* have an ID assigned to both translated (1) and SD (0)... Is one of my steps incorrect?

Then maybe I am understanding something wrong, too, because from this:

Gryzor wrote:ComsosEx found on ID0.
O appears normally.

From Conf: 0 is SD, 1 is translated. Mount USB media as translated.

Changing: ID1 to raw, save.
Changing: Mount USB media as RAW, save.

...no luck. Boot message doesn't show up, O doesn't show up.

...it seems that you had ACSI ID 1 as translated and it was booting the CE_DD (green part of quote), and then you changed ACSI ID 1 to RAW and it wasn't booting the CE_DD (red part of the quote), which is expected behaviour.

This means that if you want to have USB media as RAW and still want that the CE_DD loads (e.g. for shared drive), then you should let ACSI ID 1 as translated, and add ACSI ID 2 as RAW (where the USB key will be mounted).

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 am

First of all, a small correction:

"As far as I can see I *do* have an ID assigned to both translated (1) and SD (0)..."

should read

"As far as I can see I *do* have an ID assigned to both RAW (1) and SD (0)...", after the change. Otherwise it just describes the initial setup :)

Yes, I had ACSI 0 to SD and booting from it, and the USB as ACSI 1. Then I changed ACSI 1 to RAW and indeed wasn't booting CE_DD.

This means that if you want to have USB media as RAW and still want that the CE_DD loads (e.g. for shared drive), then you should let ACSI ID 1 as translated, and add ACSI ID 2 as RAW (where the USB key will be mounted).

So, two IDs for one device? I didn't know that made sense... will try it and report back! Should I "mount USB media" as RAW or translated with that?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:27 am

Gryzor wrote:So, two IDs for one device? I didn't know that made sense... will try it and report back! Should I "mount USB media" as RAW or translated with that?

When you assign an ACSI ID to TRANS, the only thing you did with it is added the CE_DD driver (which serves for those translated drives) to ACSI, so you can boot it directly without floppy, from the device. Turning this off makes the CE_DD not getting loaded from the device. And because you need this TRANSlated thing only to get the CE_DD booted, you can have only one of it (you don't need more).

Whether the USB drive is mounted as RAW or translated depends on the checkbox on the translated menu.

If you want to access that USB drive as RAW, you also need to have some ACSI ID as RAW.
If you want to access that USB drive as translated, you need only one ACSI ID to be assigned to anything, the CE_DD protocol will be routed through any valid ACSI ID of CosmosEx. And you should also load the driver - from floppy, from other hard drive, from SD card, or you can boot it directly from that TRANS ACSI ID.

So you're not assigning 2 IDs to one device. I understand that this is confusing people, maybe a different configuration or better explanation would result in less confusion. Or maybe renaming the TRANS to CE_DD on the ACSI ID config page would lower the confusion, too...

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 am

I *think* I get it, thanks for the explanation. Maybe this should be added to the great manual...

That way I managed to see ID 2 from PP's partitioning program. I made a partition, booted, but when I tried to install the driver to it it threw me a Write Error and now when I'm booting, right after CE's boot messages I'm getting three bombs.

But that's not an issue for you I guess :)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 am

I *think* I get it, thanks for the explanation. Maybe this should be added to the great manual...

That way I managed to see ID 2 from PP's partitioning program. I made a partition, booted, but when I tried to install the driver to it it threw me a Write Error and now when I'm booting, right after CE's boot messages I'm getting four bombs.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:47 am

Gryzor wrote:That way I managed to see ID 2 from PP's partitioning program. I made a partition, booted, but when I tried to install the driver to it it threw me a Write Error and now when I'm booting, right after CE's boot messages I'm getting four bombs.

I can take a look at that write error - that shouldn't happen. Will let you know if I find out something.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 am

It actually says "Read/Write error". Do let me know if I can provide detailed info!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 am

Gryzor wrote:It actually says "Read/Write error". Do let me know if I can provide detailed info!

OK, so you should tell me your TOS version, RAM amount, driver type and version, and partitions you were trying to create - this way I can try (almost) the same at my place.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 am

Jookie wrote:
Gryzor wrote:It actually says "Read/Write error". Do let me know if I can provide detailed info!

OK, so you should tell me your TOS version, RAM amount, driver type and version, and partitions you were trying to create - this way I can try (almost) the same at my place.

STe with 4MB, rainbow TOS, as for driver version... not sure, file is USAB10V.TOS??

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 am

Gryzor wrote:STe with 4MB, rainbow TOS, as for driver version... not sure, file is USAB10V.TOS??

And partition size and count? USB drive size?

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 am

Jookie wrote:
Gryzor wrote:STe with 4MB, rainbow TOS, as for driver version... not sure, file is USAB10V.TOS??

And partition size and count? USB drive size?

Tried with a 2GB one (F32/1.9GB) and a 8GB one, various sizes. Always the same...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:35 am

Gryzor wrote:I *think* I get it, thanks for the explanation. Maybe this should be added to the great manual...

That way I managed to see ID 2 from PP's partitioning program. I made a partition, booted, but when I tried to install the driver to it it threw me a Write Error and now when I'm booting, right after CE's boot messages I'm getting three bombs.

Well first I though I made this clear but I will double check and may be add more info. It is true that translated is may be not the most appropriate name?

As far as your error, I believe that what you describe is the expected behavior :lol: :oops: 8O
If I understand correctly your configuration you have SD on ID0, RAW on ID1, and TRAN on ID2
Therefore ID2 is the config partition and ... this partition is read only as it is mounted from RPi. Therefore trying to partition it wont work :mrgreen:
I believe that HDD wont let you do that (need to check)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”