Game loading issue with Cosmos Ex

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Game loading issue with Cosmos Ex

Postby eebuckeye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I installed PPERA driver and formatted the partitions no problem. I then copied game files to the partition (first partition that is 16MB) and they start to load on my Atari ST then go blank with no sound or picture.

For example, I load Lotus and I see the yellow screen showing my system, TOS level and memory. I then press a key and see the car on the screen.. press another key then it loads and screen is blank with no sound. Same thing for Moonpatrol (I saw the initial yellow screen then graphic but then nothing). For Defender of the crown I saw the guy juggling a few things then it went blank/no sound. If I press a key when the screen is blank I hear the key pressing sound.

I have an Atari 1040STFM with TOS 1.02 and 4MB ram. I have ran the memory diag disk for the 4MB ram upgrade and it does not report any errors.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Game loading issue with Cosmos Ex

Postby Jookie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Do you have CE_DD driver loaded when you run those games? If you run the games from SD card using PPERA driver, then in that moment you don't need CE_DD to be loaded.

The CE_DD has never been tested with games, so try not having it loaded in that case (hold ALT or CTRL when you see the 'CEDD BOOT' message). In the case you don't have that running and it's still causing the issues, then someone else might give you a hint...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:25 pm

FYI with TOS 1.02 your first partition can be 256MB

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eebuckeye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Argh.

I disabled the CE_DD driver (I received notification on screen Control was pressed and it was being skipped).

I still try to start the games and they will not load. I see the yellow config screen, then a picture (car for Lotus and moonbuggy/alien screen for moonpatrol) but then it will not load further..

Any help? This is my final step to be complete. :-)

Thanks!!

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eebuckeye » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 pm

The PPera driver creator recommended I run the disk read/write tests on AHPT.

C drive 16MB Partition Quick Test:
Short files: 27 / 0 KB/s
Medium files 298/ 6 KB/s
Long files: 533 / 65 KB/s

Are those reasonable?

To play a game all I did was download the zip file from http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php then unzip to my Win8 PC. Then copied the files over to the SD partition. Do I need to do anything else?

I do not think my Atari ST has any problem because I created floppy disks from .st images and multiple games (such as Loadrunner and Hard Driven2) played perfectly. It just seems like the Cosmos Ex is getting 'stuck' when loading after the initial screens.

Thank you very much for the help!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 am

eebuckeye wrote:C drive 16MB Partition Quick Test:
Short files: 27 / 0 KB/s
Medium files 298/ 6 KB/s
Long files: 533 / 65 KB/s

Are those reasonable?

They seem lower than what's expected, I can't test it my self - I don't have PP's driver.

eebuckeye wrote:To play a game all I did was download the zip file from http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php then unzip to my Win8 PC. Then copied the files over to the SD partition. Do I need to do anything else?

I do not think my Atari ST has any problem because I created floppy disks from .st images and multiple games (such as Loadrunner and Hard Driven2) played perfectly. It just seems like the Cosmos Ex is getting 'stuck' when loading after the initial screens.

OK, there's another thing you can try - remove assignment of ACSI ID to TRANS completely (you will have to use the config tool from floppy to enable it again), have only the SD card assigned the ACSI ID, and see if it's the same. If it will be the same, then I need to test this one at my place to see what's wrong there.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm

It was my bug in latest driver update - LFN filtering error. In meantime I posted updated driver to eebuckeye .
Bug appears under specific circumstances - rather on small partitions.
I recommend to create max possible size part. for C, if SD card is 2 GB or more, what would be of course 256 MB in case of TOS 1.02 - with checked on T 1.02 c. switch. And not because of this bug, what is now corrected, but because you need more space on C - there are some programs which must be installed on C to work properly.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:38 pm

AtariZoll wrote:It was my bug in latest driver update - LFN filtering error. In meantime I posted updated driver to eebuckeye .
Bug appears under specific circumstances - rather on small partitions.
I recommend to create max possible size part. for C, if SD card is 2 GB or more, what would be of course 256 MB in case of TOS 1.02 - with checked on T 1.02 c. switch. And not because of this bug, what is now corrected, but because you need more space on C - there are some programs which must be installed on C to work properly.

Is this the version I have?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm

It's not easy to post this days ...
Yes, you have that version. I will post updated to you and to registered users after some additional tests. I updated partitioner prg too.
Little more time is needed to test all possible TOS version and partition size combinations.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eebuckeye » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:13 am

Unfortunately I did not have much luck. Some games seemed to act differently and I did get BuggyBoy to work great but most did not. I sent information that will hopefully be good info for debug. I think we are almost there!

eebuckeye
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eebuckeye » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:50 am

After some recommendations by AtariZoll I decided to delete everything off the SD card, downloaded the files again, unzip and then copied the games back to the SD card. I did not repartition again since it was already 252MB. Everything works!!!?! I don't completely understand but I must have had some corrupt files.. very interesting..

I appreciate all the help by Jookie and AtariZoll.. they are awesome!! The Cosmos Ex and PPera driver are awesome!!

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”