ICD formatting problem [+/- ok now] &network problem [fixed]

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

ICD formatting problem [+/- ok now] &network problem [fixed]

Postby zproc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi,

I received my CosmosEx today, thanks Jookie :)

However i'm a noob when it comes to Atari HDDs and drivers, i never used an UltraSatan.

I followed this guide http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=332 "How to write ICD Pro image to SD card under Windows"

Copied the ICD drivers on a floppy disk on the ST (because i don't have currently any PC with an internal floppy drive).

I then formatted the SD card from windows, just to remove the drivers and use that SD card as HDD (and because the CosmosEx has only one SD slot, which is different from the UltraSatan guides).

Launched ICDBOOT from the floppy disk on the ST.

Then when I launch ICDFMT following this http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306 I get this screen:

Except with CosmosEx instead of UltraSatan, okay. There is a "0" after the Cosmos Ex drive instead of the size in Mb like that screenshot.

And after selecting validating/selecting CosmosEx, on the next screen i get a message (in french) "Recherche du format précédent", something like "looking for previous format/formatting" and it doesn't seem to go past that... stays stuck here.

Any idea?
Last edited by zproc on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Re: ICD formatting problem

Postby zproc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Okay, so the time my post got approved, i managed to format and partition the SD card. I put back the ICD image on the SD and could format and partition it.
But i could only format/partition the equivalent of 1gb it seems, i got an error when i tried to format/partition more. (my SD card is 4gb) — Not a big problem i guess for now tho.

(On a 520 STe 4mb RAM and TOS 2.06)

Edit:
Oddly, i only attributed an ID to the SD card in the config tool of Cosmos and now that i formatted the SD card i don't have access to the Cosmos drive. So i guess i will need to find a PC with a floppy drive to copy the config tool... :/

Edit2: tried to see if i could log on the Pi to update the firmware, but by default it doesn't appear on my network which has DHCP. Plugged a screen and i see on the Pi output "Configuring network interfaces: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device"

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: ICD formatting problem

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 pm

I would recommend that you read my doc at http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/my ... _v1.2b.pdf

With TOS 2.06 you can only use partitions of less than 512MB
So just create several partitions

Yes you now need to load the config utility.
I would recommend that you leave at least one trans drive so if the SD card is not loaded you can get back to the config tools on drive O

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Re: ICD formatting problem [+/- ok now] + config tool?

Postby zproc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Okay thank you, i will look at that doc.

I was just re-reading the Cosmos doc and i understood now that by putting the ID 0 to the SD card i blocked the access to the Cosmos "O" drive yep... i rushed too quickly the first time through the doc...

And i had created actually partitions of 252mb each.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 pm

partitions of 256 on 4GB this gives 16 partitions. Is this what you are trying?
Remember that Maximum number of drive letters is 14 (C-P) and if you need to access config and network drive this is two extra drive that need letter.
So first you should probably go for 510MB partition. So you will create 8 partitions on your 4GB card

But what is your problem exactly? Partitions below 1GB works ok but not above?
This is strange because ICD is the company that created extension of the ACSI protocol to be able to extend size above 1GB and for sure CosmosEx work above 1GB

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 pm

well i could only make X * 252mb partitions with a total size of less than 1gb, but it's not really a problem i guess for now... I can live with one 1gb HDD (or several drive for that size) i suppose. :)

And i haven't tried to make 16 partitions on the SD card... only something around 6 or 7 at first, i got some "failure" errors, then reduced the number of partitions and then i could suddenly format/partition the SD card. I don't know more than this.

Edit: i made 252mb partitions because of the Cosmos Guide as i didn't know how much it could handle :

Well i guess my problem now is to get a PC with a floppy drive :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes having less than 1GB is OK but what is strange is that it should work.

To get back on initial configuration without a floppy we need help from Jookie.
Did you setup a network connection? If you did this you should be able to access CosmosEx with an ssh and from there it is probably possible to reset the CosmosEx device to default configuration.
Otherwise I guess you will need to find a floppy on PC :)

@Jookie if you read this
It would be nice to have a way to reset to default without the config utility. You have added this capability in the "other" page of config utility but it would be nice to add something like if I power the CosmosEx device while pressing the front button (the one for images selection) at the same time then it revert to default config.

By the way from ssh is there a script that does that (reset config)? I have found the ce_reset.sh that would probably work but this is a little bit extreme?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 pm

zproc wrote:well i could only make X * 252mb partitions with a total size of less than 1gb, but it's not really a problem i guess for now... I can live with one 1gb HDD (or several drive for that size) i suppose. :)

And i haven't tried to make 16 partitions on the SD card... only something around 6 or 7 at first, i got some "failure" errors, then reduced the number of partitions and then i could suddenly format/partition the SD card. I don't know more than this.

Edit: i made 252mb partitions because of the Cosmos Guide as i didn't know how much it could handle :

Well i guess my problem now is to get a PC with a floppy drive :)

From picture the size is reported as 2GB so at least you should be able to access the 2GB but this is strange if your card is indeed a 4 GB sd card?
And the first partition does not need to 16MB with TOS 20.6 you can have all partitions less than 512MB let say 511MB to be on the safe side.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 pm

You have error message in French and ICD user interface in German ;)
Where are you from?

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 pm

No no, it's a screenshot from the CosmosEx guide! I just followed the example.

I didn't notice ICD specifying any size for the SD...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:21 am

OK I have just tested ICD with 4GB SD and it works perfectly
However I had strange behavior during partition
I entered 510MB for partitions and only 1st and last partition where declared BGM all others where declared XXX ???
So I used the Split (couper) command to split in 9 partitions. The first partition is set to 8MB !!! and other to 495 MB with correct BGM type
So just change size of first to 490 and of last (Part 9) to 0 - So you end up with 8 partitions of about 490-495MB recalculate and partition the disk
use HDUTIL to render bootable and set config
reboot and bingo all work

And yes sorry ICD does not show available space but available and excess :(

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:35 am

It is possible that SD card zproc using is fake 4GB (I talk from experience). What brand is your SD card zproc ?
Should test that SD on PC, via card reader: first just see what capacity Windows will see for that card. If it is 2 GB there too, you better throw it in bin, and buy some proven brand like Kingston or SanDisk. Is sees 4GB (little less actually) fill card complete with some longer files and check are they OK after that ... For instance you may write some video files, and try to playback them. If failed - throw card ..

I don't see that anyone mentioned that don't use Format command at all. it is for old hard disks. Go straight on Partititon .
Another guide for Atari hard disk usage: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASThdFAQ.html
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:42 pm

No, it's not a fake 4gb, i tried with another SD card, a 4GB SanDisk, and it's the more or less the same it seems, i could only make 3x490mb partitions...

Both SD cards are near 4gb on Windows.

Seems like it's not the only problem i have. (the SD card one is not a big problem for now... 1.5gb as an Atari HDD is already plenty)

I got the config tool on a floppy disk, put the SD card as ID 1, the translated drive at ID 0, now the CosmosEx Driver loads correctly before the ICD driver again.

But the network connection doesn't work. I tried both DHCP and a static IP (i'm used to those kinds of settings, so i double checked, triple checked — i use DHCP on all my computers usually), and with both settings, the Raspberry Pi/CosmosEx doesn't appear on my LAN (i scanned my LAN). I'm sure that my ethernet cable is good (i tried with two cables, including a new one), as well as the router (I'm still gonna check its ethernet connections again, just in case...).

(from the manual "check the ‘Use DHCP’ checkbox and the network configuration will be pulled from that router (this is the default settings)" — and it doesn't pull the configuration from the router... i have Raspberry Pi's on my network that connects to the LAN/Web via DHCP without problems usually.)

When i go to the Update page on the config tool, the versions of the "parts" "on web" are all "0000-00-00" and if i click "from web" all version numbers disappear, both "your version" and "on web".

And i can't update from the USB either. I put the zip from the website without changing its name on an empty usb flashdrive. Turned on the CosmosEx and the Atari ST with the flashdrive connected, and the error says "File ce_update.zip not found. Can't update from USB"

:/

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

We probably need Jookie to look at your problem.
Normally you check DHCP dont forget to save and reboot.
With your config trans id 0 you should have CEDD to load at it should display a line with eth0 and the IP address assigned
I f you dont see this line them your are probably not on network
what I have noticed is that you need to connect the Ethernet cable before turn on the power on CosmosEx

EDIT:
If you have old sw it is not possible to update from USB you first need to update from network.

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Re: ICD formatting problem [+/- ok now] + network problem

Postby zproc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:08 am

Ok, thanks. I haven't seen a line displayed with "eth0" and the IP.

But i will take another look at it.

edit: reading other threads, i'm wondering about some things i haven't read i the manual (maybe i missed those? :/)

Do I need to put one ID as "RAW" to read a USB flashdrive? It seems so...? (in order the read the update zip file.)

Do i need to have the partition formatted as FAT16? Max size of the partition same as for the sdcard?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 am

zproc wrote:Ok, thanks. I haven't seen a line displayed with "eth0" and the IP.
But i will take another look at it.

Maybe you have the old network config issue, see here how to fix it:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26774

zproc wrote:Do I need to put one ID as "RAW" to read a USB flashdrive? It seems so...? (in order the read the update zip file.)
Do i need to have the partition formatted as FAT16? Max size of the partition same as for the sdcard?

This depends whether you want to use the USB key on ST as RAW, that means that drivers like HDDRIVER or PPera's driver will handle the sectors and partitions,
or you want to have that USB key as translated, in that case linux (running on RPi) will handle sectors and partitions and the system calls for work with files and directories will be handled by CE_DD (CosmosEx disk driver).

For the limitations of the drivers for RAW access - see those driver's documentation. For the translated drive - any normal configuration (partition type, size, count) should be handled by linux just fine.

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:52 am

Okay thank you. I have configured only one translated drive for the SD card, as it's written "only one"-something in the config tool. Do i need to configure another one for the flashdrive? (sorry if i ask stupid questions, i'm a bit lost when people around here seems already well acquainted to those terms/etc...)

About the network thing, i already tried to plug it to a screen and to plug a PC keybaord, just tried again, among the boot messages i see a line

"Configuring network interfaces:... ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device"

But with my keyboard plugged (before turning on ComosEx), i can't input anything... i can't turn on any led on the keyboard either, like the Capslock one. (i use this keyboard with a Raspberry Pi, so it works.)

I'll check wich version of Main App it has.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 am

zproc wrote:I have configured only one translated drive for the SD card, as it's written "only one"-something in the config tool. Do i need to configure another one for the flashdrive?

You can have one ACSI ID assigned to SD card (which is always RAW) as there's only one SD card slot. You can also have only one ACSI ID assigned to TRANSlated, as this is needed only if you want to boot the CE_DD from CosmosEx device; but if you want to boot CE_DD from SD card or from other hard drive, this TRANS is not needed. And you can have 0 or more ACSI IDs assigned to RAW, as for each USB key which will be accessed as RAW (on sector level) you need a separate ACSI ID. If you plan to use the translated driver for accessing USB keys, you don't need any RAW.

zproc wrote:About the network thing, i already tried to plug it to a screen and to plug a PC keybaord, just tried again, among the boot messages i see a line
But with my keyboard plugged (before turning on ComosEx), i can't input anything... i can't turn on any led on the keyboard either, like the Capslock one. (i use this keyboard with a Raspberry Pi, so it works.)

OK, so in this situation I would suggest removing the SD card from Raspberry Pi, writing the image to it back ( http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/rpi-ce-run-real.zip ) and this one has DHCP turned on by default. When you boot the device with that and your RPi will appear on the network, don't change the network config through CE_CONF.PRG, but instead go directly to 'Software update' and do the update.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 am

Did you succeed ?
You seem confuse about configuration. I would suggest that you read my doc at viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Jookie wrote:
zproc wrote:About the network thing, i already tried to plug it to a screen and to plug a PC keybaord, just tried again, among the boot messages i see a line

OK, so in this situation I would suggest removing the SD card from Raspberry Pi, writing the image to it back ( http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/rpi-ce-run-real.zip ) and this one has DHCP turned on by default. When you boot the device with that and your RPi will appear on the network, don't change the network config through CE_CONF.PRG, but instead go directly to 'Software update' and do the update.

Sorry that i didn't reply at the time, I lost the forum password and i have been sick and i also had nothing at the time to grab the SD Card (actually a Micro SD Card in an SD adapter i just found), and i had put everything aside until now.

So, sorry again. I just removed the Micro SD Card, flashed the IMG to it, put it back in the CosmosEx.

Now when i boot the ST with CosmosEx plugged i don't have a drive for CosmosEx but i still have my floppy disk with the config tool.

When i try to do "FROM WEB" in the "update software" part of the tool, the dates of "your version" and "on web" stay empty/blank.

When i take a look in the Network Settings, DHCP is enabled, but it has an IP as "192.168.7.2" and my router normally gives IPs as "192.168.1.x" to all my machines. Also the "Gateway" is "192.168.7.1" and it's not the gateway of my network. So... can i change the network settings? or...

Also when i scan my network i don't find the Pi/CosmosEx on it...

i will wait for a reply :) Thanks :)

edit: tried to ping 192.168.7.2 just in case, and nothing, only timeouts.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 pm

either your dhcp is not working or you ahe a problem of connection
if your network (like most people) is 192.168.1.xxx try to disable DHCP and enter and address like 192.168.1.60 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1

When you says "192.168.7.2" that the line displayed when the CosmosEx driver loads not what you read in the config tool?

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:49 pm

is it normal as i just downloaded the Pi image, that the date of the version of softs from it, are from last year, around august (if i remember correctly) when i look in the "update software" thing? Shouldn't i have the latest versions of the software?

DrCoolZic wrote:either your dhcp is not working or you ahe a problem of connection
if your network (like most people) is 192.168.1.xxx try to disable DHCP and enter and address like 192.168.1.60 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1

When you says "192.168.7.2" that the line displayed when the CosmosEx driver loads not what you read in the config tool?

no, at first the CosmosEx driver didn't load, i just went directly to Update the software like Jookie wrote, but a moment ago i just set up the drives config again, and now the CosmosEx driver loads, but i don't see a line displayed related to the network when the driver loads.
Also i tried again to connect the CosmosEx/Pi to a screen, and i still see the same "Configuring network interfaces:... ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device" error (and the keyboard still doesn't work when i plug it on USB), so i can't log in either.

So yeah, the IP i read were from the config tool.

edit: My DHCP works perfectly fine, i have several computers and Raspberry Pi on my network and everything use it :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:38 pm

You need help from Jookie :)

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:04 pm

I will wait Jookie :)

Thank you, any way :) I will keep your guide at hand (even tho for now i don't have the same versions of the softwares).

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:16 pm

GAWDF...

I was trying things and i was wondering if the Pi had any damage and if i could try my another of Pi instead, when I remembered something.

I just tried another alimentation (i don't have many choices as it's Mini USB (i think?) and i mostly have Micro USB alimentations)...

And NOW i can actually type thinigs on the keyboard on the Pi, so i'm gonna try further but i think the USB ports and maybe even the ethernet port ??? didn't get enough power with the other.

:|

edit: yep, ethernet wasn't powered enough as the USB ports i guess.

The DHCP worked and i could do an upgrade via SSH. *cries*

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”