Testing two CosmosEx units

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Testing two CosmosEx units

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:23 am

In this thread I would like to post some results about the tests I am conducting on the two CosmosEx devices I have received.

Just a quick status: I am currently mainly testing drivers installed on SD card
So far initial HD driver tests working: HDDriver 9.0 and 8.23, PPDriver 1.0 (P.Putnik), ICD Pro 6.5.5, CBHD 5.0.2

I am updating my doc http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/my ... 0Guide.pdf to show usage of CosmosEx with PPD10 and HDD90. Should be available soon.
Meanwhile users that wants to install HDD8x or ICD652 on SD card plugged in CosmosEx can already use the existing documentation.

Now I have few questions before I post more info on the tests.
For me using HDD9 removable media does not seems to work. If I remove and reinsert the exact same SD card I cant access anymore the C drive?
Has removable media been tested?

I still have problem understanding how the raw/translated things works see viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26804#p257773

I am now trying to plug an USB stick in CE using translated. It reports wrong information then crashes the Atari.
I am not surprised by this behavior. I think that the problem I have is actually reported in the above document on page 13 as "TOS and LFN". If I do get information on the drive then It displays number and characters in the size and after that it crashes. FYI I just took randomly an PC USB stick. This is a huge 32GB stick with obviously one FAT partition.

Questions about CE DD:
- obviously TOS cannot handle such large partition so what does CE driver do with this kind of partition. Would it behave like BIGDos to handle partition above 512MB?
- What about usage of LFN (long file name)? Is it fix like BigDos does?
- Support for multiple partition on the USB stick (see in above doc page 34 for creating such USB disk)

Above questions also apply to Network drive as you can access huge "network mounted" partitions

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Testing two CosmosEx units

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 pm

As said above tests going on ...

What has been tested so far (taken from my current doc)

CosmosEx
This document describe the usage of the CosmosEx (CE) device developed by Jookie.
You can find a Short introduction of the device on YouTube and detailed information about CosmosEx on Jookie web page.

Tests
For normal usage (unless noted) you need at least the two following connections:
• A power supply connected to the mini-usb connector or to the FD berg 4 pins connector. For my tests I have used a 5V 700 mA power supply connected to the mini-usb connector. Although 700mA seems to be enough this needs to be confirmed by Jookie.
• The provided cable between the CosmosEx and the Atari’s 19 pins ACSI connector has to be connected in just about all cases.

Boot CE with only power and HDMI cable to monitor
Purpose of this first tests is to see information about device boot up from Linux and the LEDs behavior. This one case where the ACSI cable was not used. After few seconds the monitor connected to the HDMI output displays a “Yocto project” welcome screen then displays log lines from the Linux boot process. The last line is a says: ce login. At the end of the boot process the ACSI led blink one time. After that the FDD and ACSI LEDs blinks alternatively but this is almost imperceptible (LEDs must stay on for a very short time).

From this test I deduct that it is recommended to wait for the ACSI LED to blink (that indicates the end of CE boot up) before starting the Atari. This happen roughly after 19 seconds on one device and 29 seconds on the second.

CE is connected to an Atari with the ACSI cable.
For this second test I just connected the CE with the provided cable to the Atari ACSI 19 pins connector.

After waiting for the ACSI LED to blink I started the Atari. Nothing happened first time (cold boot) and I had to reset Atari several times (warm boot) to finally see the CE driver load message.
On my first system the O Drive was directly displayed on the desktop and could open it to find the configuration utility. On the second system only the drive A and B were displayed on the desktop and I had to install a new drive with name O before it could be open to find the configuration utility. Updating the SW/FW to latest version over internet fixed the problem.
In both cases it seems that the CE device channel is initially set to ID=0.
CE connected to Atari and different SD cards used.

As I wanted to test several of my SD cards that I use with Satan and UltraSatan devices I need to configure CosmosEx to be able to see the SD card on the ACSI bus.
The first surprise was to find out that in the “ACSI ID Config” page all the ACSI ID are set to off! This is an invalid configuration that you are not allowed to save (if you try the program complains). I think that it should show at least ID 0 set to translated?

I changed this default configuration by setting ID 0 to SD and saved the configuration without changing anything else.
The purpose of the following test is to find out if SD cards used with UltraSatan can be directly used with CosmosEx. Therefore I have inserted the different SD cards to test, waited for the ACSI led to blink, and started the Atari. In most cases the system did not boot as expected the first time and I was obliged to reset the Atari several times to get the expected behavior.

I have tested successfully the following drivers already present on SD card:
• HDDRIVER 8.23
• ICD AdSCSI Pro 6.5.5
• CBHD 5.0.2
• PPRA Driver
In all cases the system booted using the different HD driver as expected (again often after several reset). Note that it is possible to change the SD cards that contains the drivers and to perform a warm reboot without powering neither the CE device nor the Atari. Each time you insert a new SD card the ACSI led blinks one time.

Note that with this configuration (only SD enabled) you lose the O drive and therefore the configuration tool. But if you place this utility either on a diskette or on one of the mounted partitions you can mount and use it without problem.

I have also tested to create an SD card with HDDRIVER 9.0 as well as with PPDRIVER 1.0 starting from scratch. The tests has been done with 2GB SD cards and 4 DOS & Windows partitions have been created in both cases. On windows only the first partition is accessible unless you use a specific driver like the Hitachi Filter (see doc Atari Hard Disk & File Systems Reference Guide page 34).

Important Note:
It seems that HDDRIVER does not let CE driver loads automatically even though you have set an ID for it in the configuration. In that case if you need CE DD to be loaded (for example if you plan to use the network drive) you need to create an AUTO folder in the boot drive and add the CE_DD.PRG program into it. This will force the CE driver to load after the HDDRIVER and will allow you to access network and configuration drives.
On the contrary PPDRIVER does not block the driver chain and therefore if you have define an ID for the translated drive it will be loaded automatically no need to put the driver in the AUTO directory.

Network connection
Next test was to test the network connection. For that matter I have connected the CosmosEx to my home network and checked the Use DHCP option. Although there no easy way to check that it works it indeed did work immediately.

If you reboot the ST you should now see an information about the IP address of CosmosEx during CE DD boot. The date is now synchronized using NTP server. NTP information is set in the Other page of the configuration. Here you can specify an NTP server IP Address (200.20.186.76 – d.st1.ntp.br by default) as well as the UTC offset. For example +2.0 for Paris DST or -8.0 for San Fransisco.

Another way to check that you are connected is by going to SW/FW update in the config. If you are not connected it shows 0000-00-00 as date for all SW/FW and it shows the real date or same if you are connected.
Note that it seems that the network cable has to be plugged before you start the CosmosEx. If you plug it after the network does not seems to start.

Shared Drive
Next test is sharing a ST directory from my Windows 8.1 system.
I have enabled the sharing and set all parameters and it worked as expected immediately.

Few comments:
• If you want to share permanently a directory from a machine you better use a static address for this server. This can be done by directly entering a static address on the server or by setting the server machine as static in your DHCP server.
• For the shared folder name: if you want to use a subfolder of the shared directory you have to use “/” and not “\” as used in Windows. For example if the shared directory is “Atari” and you want to mount the subdirectory “Image” from this share you have to use “atari/image” and not “Atari\image”. Not the Windows is not case sensitive for folder names.
• Version I use now have user / password entries. For this values I have entered my login account and my password. Note that if you are using Windows 8.1 the password is probably your Windows Live password (unless you use local account).

The drive letter for the network drive as to be define in the translated disk entry of the configuration. Of course in order for the drive to be mounted/accessible the CE driver has to be loaded.

Note that if you set something incorrectly you should see in the network drive two file MOUNT.ERR and MOUNT.LOG that gives you information about what went wrong.

You can also log on CosmosEx through an ssh console (user=root, pw=ce) and type
mount | grep shared
It should return the currently mounted share. If nothing is mounted (empty return) you can type
mount -v -t cifs -o gid=1000,uid=1000,username=YOUR_USERNAME,password=YOUR_PASSWORD //server_ip/AtariShared /mnt/shared
and see if this works.
You can also look at the mount.err and mount.log files located in /mnt/share

Software / Firmware Update
Tested that detection and update to latest SW/FW works.
With Network correctly configured go the update page. It automatically displays the current version and the version on the Web. If it says same everywhere you do have the latest version, otherwise select update.
With the latest release (2014-09-12 at time of writing) the device indicates that it is downloading SW/FW then it indicates that the console is updating and warn you not to turn off your device after few seconds you will be returned to the main configuration window.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 am

DrCoolZic wrote:For me using HDD9 removable media does not seems to work. If I remove and reinsert the exact same SD card I cant access anymore the C drive?
Has removable media been tested?

Yes, I've seen ICD Pro detect media change 2 days ago, but there still might be some issue with that, so I'll try that with that HDDRIVER and see if there's a problem...

DrCoolZic wrote:- obviously TOS cannot handle such large partition so what does CE driver do with this kind of partition. Would it behave like BIGDos to handle partition above 512MB?

When using CE_DD, the TOS doesn't know anything about that partition, it only uses GEMDOS functions to search for files and directories (Fsfirst(), Fsnext()), and then uses file and directory GEMDOS functions to do something with those files and dirs, and this gets forwarded to Raspberry Pi... So my guess is - as long as there aren't many files and dirs in the currently open directory, then TOS shouldn't have problems even with biggers partitions, USB keys and so on.

DrCoolZic wrote:- What about usage of LFN (long file name)? Is it fix like BigDos does?

The CE_DD currently works only with short file names in TOS (as the TOS doesn't support long file names). Long file names on any translated partition get converted to short file names before sending them to CE_DD (and to TOS),

DrCoolZic wrote:- Support for multiple partition on the USB stick (see in above doc page 34 for creating such USB disk)

This should work, and if it doesn't, then it's a bug :) I haven't tried that though, I never had a USB key with multiple partitions.

DrCoolZic wrote:A power supply connected to the mini-usb connector or to the FD berg 4 pins connector. For my tests I have used a 5V 700 mA power supply connected to the mini-usb connector. Although 700mA seems to be enough this needs to be confirmed by Jookie.

I get around 500 mA to 550 mA on my device, so when not using any USB device, then 700 mA should be enough. The other thing is that if you need more USB devices, or USB device that requires more current, even having a power supply with more mA wouldn't help - there's a design flaw in Raspberry Pi, model B, rev 2 which causes these issues, it was even worse in the older revision, so if you need more power on USB, you need a active (separately powered) USB hub.

DrCoolZic wrote:Note that it seems that the network cable has to be plugged before you start the CosmosEx. If you plug it after the network does not seems to start.

The ethernet shouldn't be needed, but it starts faster when the cable is plugged in - I guess some service on the start (dhcpd?) is causing a delay when the cable is not there. This might need an improvement.

DrCoolZic wrote:For the shared folder name: if you want to use a subfolder of the shared directory you have to use “/” and not “\” as used in Windows

This one could be easily altered, I'll add that to TODO :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Jookie wrote:The CE_DD currently works only with short file names in TOS (as the TOS doesn't support long file names). Long file names on any translated partition get converted to short file names before sending them to CE_DD (and to TOS),

Good my HDTST program can test this.

DrCoolZic wrote:- Support for multiple partition on the USB stick (see in above doc page 34 for creating such USB disk)

This should work, and if it doesn't, then it's a bug :) I haven't tried that though, I never had a USB key with multiple partitions.

Will test this also

DrCoolZic wrote:I get around 500 mA to 550 mA on my device, so when not using any USB device, then 700 mA should be enough. The other thing is that if you need more USB devices, or USB device that requires more current, even having a power supply with more mA wouldn't help - there's a design flaw in Raspberry Pi, model B, rev 2 which causes these issues, it was even worse in the older revision, so if you need more power on USB, you need a active (separately powered) USB hub.
So we can probably say that 1A is OK. For USB do you know what is the limit on Raspberry Pi?

DrCoolZic wrote:For the shared folder name: if you want to use a subfolder of the shared directory you have to use “/” and not “\” as used in Windows

This one could be easily altered, I'll add that to TODO :)
Not really a big deal just an information. If you change it keep it compatible with both syntax (/ and \)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:03 am

I made the connection with Jookie today. Since he is sending data via the RDdata and WRData lines of the floppy port to/from the WD1772, it would be very easy to use .scp image files to provide the data. This would give you 100% exact disk loading, letting you play anything imaged regardless of copy protection. This would be a pretty simple thing to add. I hope to get a unit soon!
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am

Very good idea as this would work with any kind of protection.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Jookie wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:A power supply connected to the mini-usb connector or to the FD berg 4 pins connector. For my tests I have used a 5V 700 mA power supply connected to the mini-usb connector. Although 700mA seems to be enough this needs to be confirmed by Jookie.

I get around 500 mA to 550 mA on my device, so when not using any USB device, then 700 mA should be enough. The other thing is that if you need more USB devices, or USB device that requires more current, even having a power supply with more mA wouldn't help - there's a design flaw in Raspberry Pi, model B, rev 2 which causes these issues, it was even worse in the older revision, so if you need more power on USB, you need a active (separately powered) USB hub.

Dont know from where you are getting this information?

Here are some references
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 44&t=53118
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=24982
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... tput-power

Power available range from 150 mA to (Power Supply - RPi consumed)
It is difficult to get an idea ???

interesting info here on USB peripheral consumption
http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... r-problems

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:09 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Power available range from 150 mA to (Power Supply - RPi consumed)
It is difficult to get an idea ???

Yes, theoretically. The other thing is voltage drop (on the polyfuse), that means with rising current there will be less than 5V on USB port, so even if the power supply would be able to give enough power, then the USB device(s) might now work as expected... Active (powered) USB hub could solve this.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:54 am

One last question on this subject. It seems that is is possible to power the Raspberry Pi from an USB connector (for example from a powered USB hub with back-feed power).
In that case will your board be powered correctly. From what I understand the power between the two boards goes through the flat connector between the two?

So we could write something like:
Note that it is also possible to power the CosmosEx device from one of its USB connector. For that matter you can use for example a powered USB hub with back feed power. Keep in mind, however, that USB specification says that devices should not do that but some USB hubs and probably other devices do not have protection about back feeding power despite what specification says. This might be handy if you use the CosmosEx device inside an Atari as the original power supply may not deliver enough power.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 am

DrCoolZic wrote:One last question on this subject. It seems that is is possible to power the Raspberry Pi from an USB connector (for example from a powered USB hub with back-feed power).
In that case will your board be powered correctly. From what I understand the power between the two boards goes through the flat connector between the two?

This could work, but I didn't try it. Yes, the RPi is powered through the flat cable from the other part of the device.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 am

Testing has slow down on CosmosEx because I am in discussion with Uwe on a possible bug in HDD9.02 for multiple TOS&DOS partitions: only firs one is seen on Windows :(

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Test MainApp – 2014-09-24:
Now file selector works on network mounted drive.

Tested USB Raw

config id0=sd id1=raw id2=raw mount usb as raw
SD slot empty
USB slot memory stick

Very strange. I can partition the USB drive without problem (tested with HDD and PPD)
I can install the driver
I reboot and I see C drive but cannot open it ????
Looked at the content on windows and driver was copied without problem
During boot the partition is found but no letter assigned

I have used HDDUTIL when starting it shows only device 0 (the sd card) but not CosmosEx 1 (the usb stick)
However if I do a device check both are found ????

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:38 pm

checked same config on ultrasatan with SD cards in 1 & 2 works fine :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Very strange. I can partition the USB drive without problem (tested with HDD and PPD)
I can install the driver
I reboot and I see C drive but cannot open it ????
Looked at the content on windows and driver was copied without problem
During boot the partition is found but no letter assigned

I have used HDDUTIL when starting it shows only device 0 (the sd card) but not CosmosEx 1 (the usb stick)
However if I do a device check both are found ????

I had similar experience when the HDDRIVER started from floppy (when the drive was partitioned) had more ACSI IDs enabled, but when I installed the HDDRIVER to the media (in my case to SD card), the installed HDDRIVER had only one ACSI ID enabled (the lowest only), and my media had higher ACSI ID assigned, so every time the HDDRIVER was started from media, I couldn't access the partition. I had to remove the media during boot, then I've loaded HDDRIVER from floppy again, plugged media back, and then stored the new configuration to media. So, could you see if the driver loaded from your media has all the needed ACSI IDs enabled in HDDRUTIL?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 am

Yes you were right and the procedure you describe works.
However it does not make too much sense to proceed like this as this is not feasible if you do this on a system with a fix drive in ACSI 1
so here is what I do (and what will be documented in next rev of my doc)

1) Boot from floppy, load HDDRIVER execute HDRUTIL and partition usb memory stick on ACSI 1 (note that by default all ACSI are visible at this stage)
2) Reboot to take in account the new partition
3) load HDDRIVER execute HDRUTIL and install HDD driver on partition D (HDD reserve C to ACSI 0 because removable drive)
4) Immediately change device & partition to enable all ACSI
5) Now if you reboot HDD is loaded, Drive D is mounted and Drive C is available on desktop
Problem is that drive C is not mounted, so you install drive D (and can correctly access it). You want to save this desktop configuration but you CANT as the Atari tries to save on drive C but it does not exist!
6) Not good! What you have to do is then restart HDRUTIL goes again to device & partition click on 0.1 and move it on top of 0.0
Now reboot and drive on usb stick is now mounted on C
Obviously an even better way is to combine step 4 & 6

So now it works
And also want to mention that contrary to what I said booting from USB memory stick also works with PPDRIVER just more easier to do
run partitioner from FD
install driver from FD
reboot

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Yes you were right and the procedure you describe works.
However it does not make too much sense to proceed like this as this is not feasible if you do this on a system with a fix drive in ACSI 1
so here is what I do (and what will be documented in next rev of my doc)

Good to know there are other ways to do the same ;)

DrCoolZic wrote:6) Not good! What you have to do is then restart HDRUTIL goes again to device & partition click on 0.1 and move it on top of 0.0
Now reboot and drive on usb stick is now mounted on C

I didn't know that you could rearrange them, good to know...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Ok now it is probably time to test FD emulation :)
could mount CosmosEx into Atari but ....

I have found an old (not working) SF314
P1070377-800.jpg

Internally it looks like this
P1070379-800.jpg

As you can see the floppy drive is an old full size FD from early Atari ST
so it is possible to replace the floppy drive with CosmosEx.
But for test I want to connect just using the I/F board
P1070386-800.jpg

Quick question for Jookie before I plug the power. The SF314 provide 12V on berg connector. No problem to have that with CosmosEx (i.e. not connected)?

In fact what would be nice is to modify the data flat cable so that it has two FD connectors one would plug into real floppy drive (half size) and one would plug into CosmosEx (half size) so probably both of them could fit in original box?

Cable has to be looked at carefully especially pins for disk drive selection but it would be nice because we can have drive 0 and 1 in one case (of course you would have to remove or disconnect original SD in Atari). Can also add switch so that either real drive can be disabled or set to drive 1 or even better a rotary SW to select OFF / 0 / 1 for real FD. As CosmosEx can be also changed to off, 0, 1 by soft all combinations possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:15 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Quick question for Jookie before I plug the power. The SF314 provide 12V on berg connector. No problem to have that with CosmosEx (i.e. not connected)?

If the power connector has the same connections as the one that is inside (5V, GND, GND, 12V) then it should be fine - the 12V line is not connected on CosmosEx.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Jookie wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:Quick question for Jookie before I plug the power. The SF314 provide 12V on berg connector. No problem to have that with CosmosEx (i.e. not connected)?

If the power connector has the same connections as the one that is inside (5V, GND, GND, 12V) then it should be fine - the 12V line is not connected on CosmosEx.

5V beeing the one closest to the data cable right?

Was looking at the service manual of SF354 (same as 314) and information about drive selection is not clear? (doc can be found here http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/FD-Hard.php#links)
Looks like by default the drive is 0 ??? this would conflict with internal drive!
I have an external drive (not done by Atari) and it is by default drive 1 (B) ???

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:24 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:5V beeing the one closest to the data cable right?

No, on the side of power switch (on the right side when looking at the back of CosmosEx) - so the standard power connector would fit -- see the red wire:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnec ... yindex.jpg

- at least my internal floppy power connector has it on that side (and the PSU of PC should have it on that side, too).

DrCoolZic wrote:Looks like by default the drive is 0 ??? this would conflict with internal drive!
I have an external drive (not done by Atari) and it is by default drive 1 (B) ???

I only saw external floppy on ST where no internal floppy was present, so in that case drive A was a wanted result...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Jookie wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:5V beeing the one closest to the data cable right?

No, on the side of power switch (on the right side when looking at the back of CosmosEx) - so the standard power connector would fit -- see the red wire:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnec ... yindex.jpg

Strange it is just a problem of color on SF314 red is 12V and blue is 5V ??? Tested with a meter so I should be OK
P1070388-800.jpg

I only saw external floppy on ST where no internal floppy was present, so in that case drive A was a wanted result...

My cumana CSA354
P1070389-600.jpg

is configured as drive B and for me it make sense. Just add the capability to have A (internal) and B (external) at the same time. Quite handy for floppy copy
Why would you want to remove internal drive when you use external?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Cannot mount CosmosEx device to replace floppy drive in my cumana because of the power switch. The metal case is exactly adjusted on the two sides of FD :(

PS for FD connectors you look at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20337&p=258896#p258896 bottom of the picture

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Further tests shows that I would be difficult to mount CosmosEx in ST314
The fixing hole for the floppy are only three and not positioned at same place. The drive seems to be very old I could not see any brand on it ???
Second problem is that the FD data cable is located on the opposite side than CosmosEx (where the ACSI cable is). This implies that would definitively need to redo the FD data cable that is currently small and cannot access the other side of CosmosEX.
Therefore best usage for now is just to use the internal card to convert from din14 to FD data connector. At this stage I will also stay with my current power supply on mini-usb

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Holly cow :(
Cannot plug the ACSI connector when the FD connector is in place !!! :twisted:

Same problem than the Satan connector many years ago. The connector hood is apparently a 25 pin hood and on top of that it has been shifted on the wrong side so both wont fit.
When I received my Satan I had cut the hood of the connector. At that time hood was soft plastic not sure will be easy to cut this one ???

Fortunately I can try with a UltraSatan cable as there were done with 19 pin hood like this http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/ccc ... Rh;DB19H;3

I use Satan/Ultrasatan ACSI connectors for CosmosEx? Right ?
I also still have the hood cut Satan cable

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Tests:
Internal floppy drive untouched.
CosmosEx floppy connected to Atari DIN14 FD connector using the SF314 interface card
Seems like connection look like this
SF314-data-con.PNG

System loads but motor stays on and cannot access either drive A or Drive B in all described configurations below

configuration tested
- floppy emulation off : internal A FD should work
- floppy emulation enabled and drive 1 selected : emulation should be B an A is internal FD
- floppy emulation enabled and drive 0 selected : should not work collide with internal A FD

Help

Ever tried CosmosEx floppy emulation + real FDrive ???

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”