CosmosEx - updates

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: CosmosEx - updates

Postby Jookie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks for the supporting words ;) I'll try to do my best...

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 am

CosmosEx is a real great piece of hardware for ST owners. Is it still available for future buyers ? People asked me on other forums because of all the good news I bring to them... ;)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:44 am

HuggyOne76 wrote:Is it still available for future buyers ? People asked me on other forums because of all the good news I bring to them... ;)

The first batch is currently sold out - the last few devices went mostly to some people who wanted to help with fixing stuff. The next devices will be available in around 2 months from now. And hopefully at that time even more bugs will be fixed :)

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Jookie wrote:MainApp - 2014-09-16:
- support for nested Fsfirst() / Fsnext() calls - this fixes issue with missing files when copying from translated to native drive in TOS (copying from native to translated drive was working OK even before, copying using Kobold worked even before in both directions) - I've spent almost a week with this :( (no good documentation on the nesting of Fsfirst() / Fsnext() )

CE_DD - 2014-09-16:
- support for nested Fsfirst() / Fsnext() calls -- works with the laters MainApp. If you're running CE_DD from floppy or native drive, be sure to update it with the newest version from your config drive.

Jookie, I hate to say it, but I am still having issues copying from my net drive to the SD card.

Today I was trying to copy over Zamuel_a's metroid demo from my net drive to the SD card. During the copy process, it would suddenly stop working and I would have to skip/abort. After aborting, I navigated back up through the net drive directory tree, and all the directories showed empty. If I then opened the "O" config drive, it also showed as empty.

I have also seen that sometimes when I copy multiple files, all the files have the same file length as whatever file was first in the selection.

Not sure what's going on.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm

You have to be EXTRA careful about the content of what you are trying to copy from DOS to Atari.
If your directories contains LFN it will probably crash the Atari. Lots of problem if partion contains system files directories etc ...

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:You have to be EXTRA careful about the content of what you are trying to copy from DOS to Atari.
If your directories contains LFN it will probably crash the Atari. Lots of problem if partion contains system files directories etc ...

FWIW, I'm copying from a Mac net drive shared via NFS, not from DOS.

As far as "LFN," does that mean long filenames? If so, that's not part of this issue. I'm pretty much copying just game files, like that Metroid demo, or some of the games folks have cracked for hard drive use/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:15 am

MainApp – 2014-09-24:

- fix for returning ‘.’ and ‘..’ on Fsfirst() / Fsnext() even when the request wasn’t about searching for dirs – by ggn / Kua

- fix for corrupting bytes after the last valid data of file, when end of file was hit by Fread() – by ggn / Kua

- now mounting USB media as translated / raw according to settings in config -> Translated disk -> Mount USB media as (automatic mount depending on type of partitions removed)

- translation of non-standard ASCII chars (chars with diacritics) to standard ones added (e.g. German U umlaut) – was causing problems on copying, dir creation, and so on

Kirkman wrote:I'm pretty much copying just game files, like that Metroid demo, or some of the games folks have cracked for hard drive use/

Can you, please, give me a link to that, so I can test it? And also - please don't use this thread for bug reporting, this should be mostly for listing the updates. Anyway, as this is getting messy here, I've added a separate page on my web page about the content of updates - http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=541

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm

MainApp – 2014-09-24:

tests here viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26930&p=258710#p258710

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:45 am

MainApp – 2014-09-27:

- passwords in config will now be shown as asterisks (shared drive password, wifi password)

- some other functionality added for CE_DD when reading files

- protocol version is sent to CE_DD for the correct protocol version pairing – the CE_DD will not get installed if the Main App has a different translated disk protocol version (will not work yet with older CE_DD, but you will notice this in the future with the newer CE_DD)) – to force people to update the CE_DD which they load from SD card or other hard drive rather then from the CosmosEx device it self

CE_DD – 2014-09-26:
- protocol version checking added – this has to match the required protocol version of Main App, otherwise the driver won’t be installed (it shows a message about protocol version mismatch)

- fix / code added for cases when file is being read, and the app requests much more data than there is in the file, which could lead to data corruption up to 15 bytes after the actual end of file in memory

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Hans – 2014-10-02:
- this should fix the cold boot issue – when you turn on your ST, it won’t boot from CosmosEx and you needed a reset. This seems to fix the issue, tested with 2 different devices. The only difference between this and previous version is that the optimization has been changed from -o3 to -o2, and optimization for time has been turned off – I’m not sure if it was too fast for the DMA chip after power on, or there is something wrong with the highest level of compiler optimization…

Could someone of you, out there, update and see if it helped something or it's just something that seems to help at my place?

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:24 pm

I still need to reset once on cold boot.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:34 pm

corpsicle wrote:I still need to reset once on cold boot.

ditto

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 am

works for me :)

But in order for this to work you obviously need to wait for the CosmosEx device to be ready before you powerup the Atari. Therefore I wait for the ACSI LED to blink and only after I start the Atari and so far it seems to work correctly.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:52 am

This is strange... The issue didn't appear much on my STFM, so I've switched to STE, where it happened on each cold boot. After the last change it was OK on the STE and I thought it's OK. Yesterday I switched back to STFM, and now it's happening on my STFM, but seems to work on the STE. So this still needs to be fixed. Thanks for the report, guys.

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:54 am

My stats:
I turn on the CE, wait for the blue light, then I turn on my Mega ST 2 (TOS 1.02) and its monitor; the first boot (cold one) shows me only the O drive. After a soft reset (warm boot) everything is fine with any Atari-formatted SD card, either being HDDriver- or ICD-driven. Every subsequent warm boot is fine too.

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Well my CE is built into the ste and powered from the floppy powercable so i cant really turn it on before boot.
Anyhow, im not very bothered by this one reset. =)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:21 pm

MainApp – 2014-10-07:
- removing the ‘.\’ (current dir symbol) from start of the path if the ST specifies this – this caused some issues

- in case of failed mount of shared drive or USB drive the log files (MOUNT.LOG and MOUNT.ERR) visible instead of the original content now contain at least some title string – TOS 1.02 didn’t like showing empty files (it showed never ending garbage), TOS 1.06 had no issues with that, so added this just in case

- fix for Fsfirst() – added code to reuse some buffer (find storage) if it was allocated before instead of trying to use new one – this caused files to disappear from the drive after some program run from translated drive, refresh was needed to see the files again, now it should be OK (reproduced and fixed on Mega STE & TOS 2.05)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:27 am

MainApp - 2014-10-18:
- fix for bad shortening of long file extensions on translated drives, when two similar extensions of two files (e.g. config.vcproj and config.vcproj.Aragorn.Jean.user) would result in the same short file name replacement (CONFIG.VCP)
- support for showing linux terminal in config added
- in ACSI ID config the 'tran' has been renamed to 'ce_dd' to lesser confusion - now it tells that this is only for booting the CE_DD driver, not for the access to translated drives

CE_DD (contained within Main App):
- fix for recursive file copying - used when copying in TOS, this resulted in some files missing in some specific cases when you copied directories from one translated drive

CE_CONF (contained within Main App):
- you can now see the linux terminal after you press F8 (press it again to return to normal config) - this is here just for problem solving cases, don't use it too much - it's far from good terminal emulation (e.g. you can't quit an app by pressing CTRL+C)

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 am

Jookie wrote:MainApp - 2014-10-18:
- fix for bad shortening of long file extensions on translated drives, when two similar extensions of two files (e.g. config.vcproj and config.vcproj.Aragorn.Jean.user) would result in the same short file name replacement (CONFIG.VCP)
- support for showing linux terminal in config added
- in ACSI ID config the 'tran' has been renamed to 'ce_dd' to lesser confusion - now it tells that this is only for booting the CE_DD driver, not for the access to translated drives

CE_DD (contained within Main App):
- fix for recursive file copying - used when copying in TOS, this resulted in some files missing in some specific cases when you copied directories from one translated drive

CE_CONF (contained within Main App):
- you can now see the linux terminal after you press F8 (press it again to return to normal config) - this is here just for problem solving cases, don't use it too much - it's far from good terminal emulation (e.g. you can't quit an app by pressing CTRL+C)

Great stuff :)

Where does the terminal appear? Casting?
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 am

Gryzor wrote:Where does the terminal appear? Casting?

CE_CONF.PRG -- then press F8...

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 am

Very useful if you don't have it on a network...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Sorry Jookie but still seems to be a problem for me?
Original Test directory (the one I have sent you) 27 dir 142 files.
During copy several "error while reading file" 27 dis 128 files.
Much better but for some reason some files cannot be read.
picture of file not copied correctly
mismatch.PNG

For test I have added the new ce_dd to my auto directory anything else I have to do?

User guide updated
http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/dev ... _Guide.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999#p260255
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:41 am

MainApp - 2014-10-26:
- fix for accessing USB media in RAW mode above 2GB limit - this caused integer overflow in lseek(), it was replaced with lseek64() but that didn't work, so finally replaced with _llseek()
- fix for SIGSEGV when closing Main App and disconnecting USB media

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:35 pm

After updating the following problem appeared:
If i set id 0 to ce_dd and id 1 to sd i can access drive O and USB-stick (drive P). But i can't access sd-card (partitions c-f).

If i set id 0 to sd and id 1 to ce_dd i can access sd card partitions but no drive O or USB (P) anymore. I read the dummies manual but can't figure out what is wrong?

Usb is set to translated drive.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:05 pm

@Jookie could it be that now when CE_DD is loaded subsequent HD driver are not loaded?
I do not know how it is possible to block loading of driver with higher ID
The code in the TOS (at least 1.0 where we have the listing) scan all ID and each time a boot sector has the magic number it is executed

@marakatti
You can try to use ID 0 for SD
Create an AUTO folder in the boot drive
and place CE_DD in this folder this should always work (even if ID 1 is not set to CE_DD)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”