520STFM (TOS 1.02) can't see device on ACSI

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

ely
Atariator
Atariator

520STFM (TOS 1.02) can't see device on ACSI

Postby ely » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:59 pm

So I've finally got round to trying this out and unfortunately it's just not working for me, my ST just won't pick up that the CosmosEX is there. What I have;

- RaspPi Model B - 1st edition board (i.e. no screw holes at all)
- UK 520 STFM running TOS 1.02

The CosmosEX and the Pi are all hooked up and I'm using it outside the ST as just an ACSI device, so it's powered up and got the cable plugged in to the ACSI port on the ST (that post has never had anything plugged into ever though).

I know the Pi boots okay as I've done that whilst hooked up to an HDMI monitor and I've edited the /etc/network/interfaces file to add the auto eth0 line as mentioned in another thread. I also know the CosmosEX boots as the blue ACSI light momentary flashes a while after turn on, and does this every do often (I assume this is correct?).

But each time I turn on the ST it just goes to the desktop and I never get the driver loaded message on screen. I have tried it with nothing plugged into the CosmosEX, with a USB flash drive inserted and also an SD card inserted, but still nothing.

I have put the ce_conf.prg on a floppy and when I run that it can't find the CosmosEX as it cycles through the 0-7 ACSI Id range.

Is there a way from LINUX to test the Pi can see the CosmosEX? At least that'd rule out the fact it's a 1st Edition Pi?

Any other ideas greatly received :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: 520STFM (TOS 1.02) can't see device on ACSI

Postby Jookie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:13 pm

ely wrote:Is there a way from LINUX to test the Pi can see the CosmosEX? At least that'd rule out the fact it's a 1st Edition Pi?

No, it's definitely the wrong version of Raspberry Pi - they changed the GPIO connector pinout between rev. 1 and rev. 2, so the Pi doesn't communicate with the rest of electronics... Maybe there could be made a conversion cable to connect to the right pins of rev. 1, but it would be easier to just get the rev. 2 instead ;)

Jookie

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for the confirmation Jookie.

I'll get another Pi bought then, it's been a tough weekend as my Philips CM8833 Mk2 died yesterday after trying to this working. Sheesh!

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:19 am

Notice that using TOS 1.02 to access disk is a very BAD idea see viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26919#p257811

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:31 am

Yeah I realised that after a bit of research. I've got a set of TOS 1.04 chips to install for the next time I get round to playing with this.

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:58 pm

ely, my MEGA ST2 has TOS 1.02 and I also have an old MegaFile60 hard disk; I just configured the CosmosEx ACSI map as follows:

0 = not used (the MegaFile is set on ACSI 0 at hardware level, and I wouldn't open it...)
1 = translated
2 = SD
and the remaining (3 to 7) are not used at the moment.

After doing these settings with the CosmosEx connected to the ACSI port of the ST, I reconnected the MegaFile to that port and put the CE on the ACSI thru port of the MegaFile.
The main boot occurs from the Megafile (using AHDI!!!), then I run a copy of CE_DD.prg from the hard disk or from a real floppy, because the CE doesn't show before this step; I know it may be run from the AUTO folder of the MegaFile, but I chose to run it manually for the moment.
Now CosmosEx shows at an ACSI ID higher than 0, therefore it will not hurt the MegaFile connection.

Guess what? I can see USB drives, Atari-formatted SD card, etc. AND the MegaFile! So far, so good!
No TOS issue, trust me.

There is a problem in file transfers from/to translated drives, as stated elsewhere in this forum, but it's a CosmosEx bug already under investigation (as far as I remember...).

Back to testing...

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:20 pm

@SerialSinger. My problem wasn't the TOS version though it was my 1st Gen RaspPi. I've now got a 2nd Gen one, but in the mean time I thought that for £15 is was worth an upgrade anyway. All I'm waiting on now is my Philips CM8833 MKII getting fixed as it's flyback transformer went pop when I mucking about with this last time.

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:13 am

I'm feeling cursed with this.

I finally got a chance to try my newly acquired RaspPi with my CosmosEX. It worked, I was able to get into the CE_CONF.PRG and setup a bit of stuff. So I thought I'd update it, got my really long Ethernet cable out, got connected to the router, ran the check, it found the latest updates, I selected "Update", the download screen came up and then I got an error saying can't see CosmosEX!

Now every time I boot it up the ACSI light never comes on. The Pi is booting fine as it gets to the "ce login:" prompt in 5 seconds, but seemingly it can't see the CosmosEX anymore. I've checked the connecting cable and that's fine.

@Jookie. Any ideas at all? Is there anything I can run on the Pi to check if it can see the CosmosEX board at all?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:29 pm

ely wrote:I finally got a chance to try my newly acquired RaspPi with my CosmosEX. It worked, I was able to get into the CE_CONF.PRG and setup a bit of stuff. So I thought I'd update it, got my really long Ethernet cable out, got connected to the router, ran the check, it found the latest updates, I selected "Update", the download screen came up and then I got an error saying can't see CosmosEX!

Now every time I boot it up the ACSI light never comes on. The Pi is booting fine as it gets to the "ce login:" prompt in 5 seconds, but seemingly it can't see the CosmosEX anymore. I've checked the connecting cable and that's fine.

When it wrote that the connection is bad, it was updating the software, but it seems that this didn't finish - did you turn it off? The only thing needed was to wait a minute :-) I know, the message is misleading, and it was changed in the later version.

How to fix it:

Code: Select all

log in - over network through ssh or on tv + usb keyboard, as root (password is 'ce')
cd /ce
wget http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/scripts.zip
unzip scripts.zip
chmod 755 *.sh
/ce/ce_update.sh
sync
/ce/ce_start.sh (or turn off and on again)

With the newer RPi image the wget and unzip and chmod are not needed. This should get it back to work. Please report how it went.

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Well it's good to know it's not totally broken.

Problem I've not got is that I cannot get the thing to talk to the internet. I'm on a static IP so in the /etc/network/interfaces file I've got the following;

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.31
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.2.0
broadcast 192.168.2.255
gateway 192.168.2.1

If I run ifconfig -a it happily shows it as an active network adapter but if I try and ping the router 192.168.2.1 (or any site) I just get back "network is unreachable". I've no idea why it won't work.

Is there any way or upgrading this by getting the files onto it locally? Or even just re-imaging the entire SD Card perhaps?

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Ah, typing "ifup eth0" seems to have sorted the connection issue! Well in so much as I can see my router. Can't see joo.kie.sk, clearly a DNS issue. Not sure where you define that on LINUX though.

Also for reference doing ifup wlan0) get errors;

Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
Error - Failed to reqquest Firmware

What I have now figured out is how to get the files on a USB stick (including the update itself) so I'll copy the files, hack your update script and that should get it running.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:54 pm

ely wrote:Ah, typing "ifup eth0" seems to have sorted the connection issue! Well in so much as I can see my router. Can't see joo.kie.sk, clearly a DNS issue. Not sure where you define that on LINUX though.

Yes, the older version of Main App didn't write 'auto eth0' to the config file and the linux doesn't start the eth0 on start, which can be fixed either by adding that to the config file, or by writing 'ifup eth0' like you did.

The nameserver can be set by editing /etc/resolv.conf and writing there:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
(8.8.8.8 should work, it's a google dns)

ely wrote:Also for reference doing ifup wlan0 get errors;

Let's not mess with wifi in this thread, that will be more complicated ;)

ely wrote:What I have now figured out is how to get the files on a USB stick (including the update itself) so I'll copy the files, hack your update script and that should get it running.

If you can ping the router, and you will set the nameserver as mentioned above, it would be easier to use the upgrade script because you wouldn't have to modify anything else, but it's your choice ;)

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:11 pm

All sorted now, by using PC to download files, USB stick to copy to Pi and editing the ce_update.sh script to not clear out the /tmp and try and get the file. Phew!

I'm sure I tried adding a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf but it seemed to keep getting deleted.

Now I just need to find a blank SD card and get it formatted correctly and then try the thing out!

Thanks for your help as always Jookie :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”