Floppy Emulation issues

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Floppy Emulation issues

Postby corpsicle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:11 pm

First i just want to say thanks for a great product. Makes it a lot easier for an atarin00b such as myself to use the computer. :)

I decided to take this problem to a separate thread since im not sure its a problem with cosmosex at all.
Even with the latest update files downloaded from the "appstore" saves with empty filenames on sdcard. Works fine on shared drive.
Also none of the .st images downloaded works very well, they crash or stop loading.
I have not gotten any of these images to work.
However i tried some .msa files from fujiology, and they work well, but some of them crash with two bombs late into the demos.

Running games and demos from harddrive works perfectly.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Floppy Emulation issues

Postby Jookie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 pm

corpsicle wrote:Even with the latest update files downloaded from the "appstore" saves with empty filenames on sdcard. Works fine on shared drive.

That was an issue with path creation inside CE_FDD.PRG which was fixed. Do you run this CE_FDD.PRG from your config drive (which should contain the fixed version), or do you have this file saved elsewhere (e.g. on floppy or on shared drive) and thus you're using outdated version?

corpsicle wrote:Also none of the .st images downloaded works very well, they crash or stop loading.
I have not gotten any of these images to work.
However i tried some .msa files from fujiology, and they work well, but some of them crash with two bombs late into the demos.

Hmm, weird.. What is your machine type and TOS version? I got some reports about running some images just fine from some users, so it works in some setups, so I wonder what slight differences might cause your issues? Can you please tell me the name of the image which crashes or stops loading, so I could test it?

Jookie

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Im more than happy to test any images as well, name 'em and I'll test 'em.

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Well dont i feel silly ... i was using a old CE_FDD that i had copied to the sdcard.
Saving filse to hdd works fine now. =)

However, here comes a more detailed description of the floppy emu problems:

Hardware:
1040 STE
TOS 1.62
4mb ram

A_000, get the game menu, select any game, four bombs.
A_001, two bombs directly when booting
A_002, get the game menu, select Plutos = three bombs, into the eagles nest = loads/decrunches then 11(!?) bombs
Wings of death ( whichever number that is ) boots to game select, loads/decrunches and then black screen, no loading no nothing, waited 5 minutes then turned off

Games run from HDD perfectly:
Powerdrift
Wings of death
Lethal Excess

Demos run from floppy emu, but .msa files from fujiology:
Fantasia ( runs well for 5 minutes or so, then two bombs )
Antique ( same as above )
Virtual Escape ( runs flawless )

Another wierd thing is that the .st images i download from the ftp does not autoboot. I get the little green desktop screen and then it boots from harddrive.
I have to press "a" after ICD driveletters come up, and then it boots from floppy.
HOWEVER when i mount .msa files, they autoboot without intervention.

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Ok after a short test after the latest update i think its working better but not all the way.
In Wings of Death i can now get to where it loads the level before it gives me two bombs.
All other games downloaded from ftp also bomb while decrunching or loading.
Tried 4 more images A_003 -> A_006.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 pm

corpsicle wrote:A_000, get the game menu, select any game, four bombs.
A_001, two bombs directly when booting
A_002, get the game menu, select Plutos = three bombs, into the eagles nest = loads/decrunches then 11(!?) bombs

A_000 loads menu, but doesnt do anything after that
A_001 menu works, at least 1 game works
A_002 menu works, at least 1 game works (Pluto's version doesnt work tho, Eagles nest does)

My guess is that it has to do with the images/code on them, rather than the cosmosex

WolfMax
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WolfMax » Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am

corpsicle wrote:Another wierd thing is that the .st images i download from the ftp does not autoboot. I get the little green desktop screen and then it boots from harddrive.

I also have this issue.
Even if I only have the CosmosEX device with no other storage media (SD, USB or Network) it still boots the floppy then a few seconds later, boots CC_DD and drops to desktop.

Also, one annoying thing is when changing res from low to med (for ICD program use for example), the HD drives disappear and I have to install them all again. Is this normal?
Cheers

Colin

"Anyone wanting to be a Politian, should automatically be excluded from being one!"

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu May 07, 2015 11:19 am

WolfMax wrote:
corpsicle wrote:Another wierd thing is that the .st images i download from the ftp does not autoboot. I get the little green desktop screen and then it boots from harddrive.

I also have this issue.
Even if I only have the CosmosEX device with no other storage media (SD, USB or Network) it still boots the floppy then a few seconds later, boots CC_DD and drops to desktop.

There will be a feature soon (any day now ;) ) that will allow you to press a key at the start of CE_DD to select which drive to boot, and then you could press 'A' to boot from floppy...

WolfMax wrote:Also, one annoying thing is when changing res from low to med (for ICD program use for example), the HD drives disappear and I have to install them all again. Is this normal?

I don't know, but probably yes... With the proper DESKTOP.INF on the boot drive you should get the HDD drives even after resolution change (I guess), or in TOS 2.0x you have the menu option 'Install drives' which adds all valid drives on desktop...

The current version of Main App generates DESKTOP.INF, so if you boot CE_DD as the last driver, or force the other drive to boot from CE config drive, you should have all the available drives on desktop, too.

WolfMax
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WolfMax » Fri May 08, 2015 12:47 am

Jookie wrote:There will be a feature soon (any day now ;) ) that will allow you to press a key at the start of CE_DD to select which drive to boot, and then you could press 'A' to boot from floppy...

Ah... the problem isn't that the floppy doesn't boot, it does. The problem is it gets over ridden by the CE which then boots the HD forcing the floppy boot program to stop.

Jookie wrote:I don't know, but probably yes... With the proper DESKTOP.INF on the boot drive you should get the HDD drives even after resolution change (I guess), or in TOS 2.0x you have the menu option 'Install drives' which adds all valid drives on desktop...

Initially, all the drives are visible after booting regardless of resolution set by the DESKTOP.INF file. it is only when changing resolution that the drives disappear.

Jookie wrote:The current version of Main App generates DESKTOP.INF, so if you boot CE_DD as the last driver, or force the other drive to boot from CE config drive, you should have all the available drives on desktop, too.

That is true but since you can't change the DESKTOP.INF settings on the CE_DD you always start at low res so have to change to med to run programs such as ICD_FMT.PRG
Cheers

Colin

"Anyone wanting to be a Politian, should automatically be excluded from being one!"

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri May 08, 2015 12:11 pm

WolfMax wrote:
Jookie wrote:The current version of Main App generates DESKTOP.INF, so if you boot CE_DD as the last driver, or force the other drive to boot from CE config drive, you should have all the available drives on desktop, too.

That is true but since you can't change the DESKTOP.INF settings on the CE_DD you always start at low res so have to change to med to run programs such as ICD_FMT.PRG

Now you can set that screen resolution in the config - it's in the latest update:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26842&p=273352#p273352

WolfMax
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WolfMax » Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Jookie

I don't know why but I still can't get Automation disk images to boot (they are the ones CE_FDD downloaded from the net but doesn't seem to link to anymore).

What happens now is the Floppy boots first but only briefly (you get the green Automation splash screen), next comes the SD card (ICD Pro), then CE_DD (loaded from SD card AUTO folder) at which time I press 'A'. Then, I don't know what it does as all I get is a screen full of grey snow. If I don't press 'A' it boots to desktop as normal.

I've tried swapping the boot sequence, I've tried removing the SD card and hitting 'A' when CC_DD loads but nothing works.
[Edit]: Not strictly true. Booting ICD then pressing 'A' does boot the floppy somewhat, but the software is prone to bombing.

I have TOS 1.41 (modified) a copy of which can be downloaded from this thread http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27597#p268419.

The only mods as far as I am sure about, were to do with preparing the TOS to use a 1.44 MB drive. But there might be other 'fixes' in place (This link has more info on the TOS http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27621)

Since the Atari boots the floppy first, could it be the HDD drivers are overwriting whatever has been loaded from the floppy? But then again, from your descriptions of what happens when the CosmosEx boots, why is the floppy emulation booting first at all?

PS. The resolution changer works a treat. Thanks
Cheers

Colin

bostjan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bostjan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi,

I have the same issue with booting from emulated floppy as described in the posts above.
Upon boot i press ALT key and it will skip the driver loading, the autostart menus on the emulated floppy start loading and then usually crash with multiple bombs.
On other times the floppy just will not start from reset.
This behaviour is all from the downloaded .ST images via the CE_FDD.PRG
Any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Thanks,
Bostjan

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21 am

I will have to look at that, but that will have to wait few weeks as the manufacturing of new batch makes me busy now....

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi all,

Another Floppy Emulation bug here.
I use fuzion msa images, i upload them via the web interfaces on slot 1, then reboot via ctrl alt del.
Firstly ST don't autoboot even if the floppy has a PRG on his AUTO Folder.
So i go into the auto folder then i run the PRG, got the fuzion cracktro and choose a game.
But i got a message that the disk was badly copied, and that i had to copy it again in order to had it work properly..
Many of the Fuzion menus have such a protection against data corruption.

Hey community, could you please tell me if some of you manage run a game from this menu with your cosmosex( for example ) :

http://fuzionshrine.omiquel.lautre.net/ ... ?numero=87

?

The MSA files on this website have all been tested succesfully with Steem.

Thanks for your help ^^
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:11 am

Hey Mr Nours :)

If you use HD Driver as a disk drive, just press on "A" after a reset to boot from floppy disk.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Strider,

Hitting "A" during a soft reset works fine to boot on a menu disk. But :
- It loads HDDRIVER ( why? perhaps it's normal as i am not very used to use HD on STs )
- If i unplug the ACSI cable and soft reset, it just doesn't AUTOBOOT on A: ( why? )

By booting this way i had much more menu that are workings fine.
But the games on this one appears to be corrupted when i launch them.

Does someone manage to load this image on a slot then reboot hitting "A" then succesfuly play Magic Pocket?

Just to know if this a something related with the cosmosex or just with my STe or my software configuration...

Nrs.
______

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Mr Nours wrote:Strider,

Hitting "A" during a soft reset works fine to boot on a menu disk. But :
- It loads HDDRIVER ( why? perhaps it's normal as i am not very used to use HD on STs )
- If i unplug the ACSI cable and soft reset, it just doesn't AUTOBOOT on A: ( why? )

By booting this way i had much more menu that are workings fine.
But the games on this one appears to be corrupted when i launch them.

Does someone manage to load this image on a slot then reboot hitting "A" then succesfuly play Magic Pocket?

Just to know if this a something related with the cosmosex or just with my STe or my software configuration...

Nrs.

Pressing on a letter is a feature of HDDriver. You can choose the partition to boot on, even on the floppy disk.

But this Fuzion CD 87 doesn't work with my CosmosEx too. The game's graphics are corrupted.
However it works well from my HxC Floppy, even when I let the CosmosEx plugged to the ACSI port (so it's not due to any memory resident software such as HDDriver). There is maybe a bug in the floppy emulation?
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:34 am

Strider wrote:But this Fuzion CD 87 doesn't work with my CosmosEx too. The game's graphics are corrupted.
However it works well from my HxC Floppy, even when I let the CosmosEx plugged to the ACSI port (so it's not due to any memory resident software such as HDDriver). There is maybe a bug in the floppy emulation?

I will have to look at that one, too...

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Tell us if we could do something to help you out!

I had tried several menu disk this way :
convert it to .St format ( to be sure it's not a special msa format ) with msa converter.
load it into one slot with the web interface of cosmosex and activate the slot
unplug acsi cable
reset ST
see the coorect bootloader, so boot on floopy is ok, got the cracktro
Unfortunately i often get two or three bombs ( bus or adress error ) after the cracktro when i try to launch a game. Note that the error may not be the same if i test it twice...

( If check the files on the emulated fdd they are all here, correct size.... )
______

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Sorry i opened another topic. Please delete this post.
______

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi,

Broken floppy emulation is really annoying for me. Is there something i can do to help debug this problem?

Jookie, you mention that that was not the case on all ST models, so wich models are impacted and which are not? Perhaps i should remove my cosmosex from my STE and use an STf instead?

Please, let me know.
Cheers,

Nrs.
______

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Hello Mr Nours,

damn, there's something really broken in the latest build, some issues accessing the floppy at all... I need few more days to look into this :-/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:58 am

I've found out, that it currently doesn't work on my STE, where I have HD/DD mod.
When I insert a valid image, it always says 'Data corrupted' on the STE, it's like when I remove a sticker from my HD/DD window on the real floppy. I need to investigate on that one. On my STFM it works fine (no HD/DD mod there).

There has been also reported some issue that when the new CE_DD driver is loaded, people seem to have trouble accessing drive A:, even if it's the real drive - the new CE_DD might be blocking floppy access or something.

I've created a tool for testing the floppy access, and for that I would suggest updating your device - the test is on the config drive (2016-01-03).
How to test it:
1.A) Decide if you want also sector data validation, for that you need TEST floppy image. In that test the testing app it will seek to a floppy sector, and also check if the data contain the right marker. To insert that TEST floppy image, open the browser, point it to IP of your CE device (e.g. 192.168.0.100), click 'Floppy' and there you should press 'Insert FLOPPY TEST image'.

1.B) If you want to test the floppy interface without data validation, just insert any floppy image into slot #1 and activate that slot.

2) have the floppy cable connected to your CE device.

3) Turn on the CE device, wait, turn on ST(e). From config drive run the 'CE_TSTFD.PRG' app, and use option R/N/S for TEST floppy image (option A above), or use options A/D/E for any image (option B from above). To terminate the test, just press 'q' or 'c' key during the test.

It should look something like this when running:

You should have all '*' if everything is perfect, some 'L' might appear and it shouldn't be that bad (it means ST read that sector with a retry, not on the first time), and if you see '!' or 'D', than it's not very good. If you won't insert TEST floppy image but you will use tests for TEST floppy image, you will get lots of 'D's, but that's not an actual error - just use a different test.

You might use this on different machines to see if it behaves differently. You might even use this under STEEM / HATARI, run the sequential test ('E') with the problematic floppy image, and at the end of sequential test it will display a checksum word. You can run the same test with the same floppy image with CE and real ST, and see if the sequential test will show the same checksum word as in emulator. If not, this might be caused by:
A) bad data reading, but if you get all '*' in the sequential test, it might not be this case, but instead...
B) bad floppy image reading / decoding in Main App (on Raspberry) - there might be an error in decoding the floppy image, or...
C) some special image geometry - I'm mostly testing this whole with 2 sides / 80 tracks / 9 sectors per track, so a different geometry might result in some issues, but I'm not sure about this one
D) image geometry would be handled fine, but there's some other issue with sector numbering / sector padding / sector order or something like that...

So... If you want, you can try that and see what you will get... And then tell us.

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi all,

Thanks Jookie for giving us such a test tool.

I ran the tests on my STE ( 4Mo, TOS 1.62 FR )
Cosmosex plugged as FDD A:
Boot on Emulated Hard disk as ACSI 0, CE_DD Loaded.
I updated all firmware to the last version via the web update.

Results :

Test with the automation 400 image disk ( A_400.ST ) loaded on slot 1 ( A: ):

Random read ONCE ( "A" keyboard touch ) : Good 1096 / ErrorFloprd : 0344 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 0 - lots of random !!!!
Random ENDLESS ("D" keyboard touch ) : Good 1773 / ErrorFloprd : 0600 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 0 - lots of random !!! before i stop the test.
Sequential ("E" keyboard touch ) : Good 1422 / ErrorFloprd : 0018 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 0 - Only the TRACK 00 is displaying "!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!" other tracks show "******** ********" - image checksum : C3D7

Test with the fdd_test.st image disk loaded on slot 1 ( A: ) :

Random read ONCE ( "R" keyboard touch ) : Good 0000 / ErrorFloprd : 00286 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 1154 - lots of DDDDD & some !!!
Random ENDLESS ("N" keyboard touch ) : Good 0000 / ErrorFloprd : 0600 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 340 ( before i stop ) - lots of random DDDD & !!!
Sequential ("S" keyboard touch ) : Good 1770 / ErrorFloprd : 0000 Lazy 0 Err DATA : 1440 - DDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDD all the way - image checksum C8FB

Same tests performed without the CE_DD driver loaded give the same results, except for the "E" test ( Automation - sequential ) wich show no error, but opening A: from the GEM doesn't work ( ? ).

Hope this helps....

Nrs.
______

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 am

Ok, doing some test with HATARI ( CE_DD.PRG not loaded, as CE device can't be detected ) :

TEST disk = All tests succesful - Checksum : F040
A_400.ST = All tests succesful - Checksum : 9FEF

This gives me at least the correct checksum to check.

Nrs.
______

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”