Can't get this thing working (Everything OK now!)

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Can't get this thing working (Everything OK now!)

Postby Marakatti » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm

I've now spend an afternoon trying to get this to work. I've read the instruction and been doing everything as told but either the SD-card or usb-sticks are not readable by ST. Tried with several ST's from Tos 1.02 to 1.62 and none of them worked.

I can format and partition one of the cards with hd driver (altough it only says there is 1024mb in it even if it's a 8gt or 32gt card). But after installing hd driver (strangely it only offers partitions from D onwards) it can't access any partition from Gem. I only get drive not found error. Next time i reset and try to install driver again it won't find the sd card at all.

Tried formatting both the sd and usb in Winxp as fat too. Id settings are 1 for sd and 2 for raw.

Should the boot read SD Card xxxxmb like in the Satandisk instructions? I only get Acsi 0 and 1. No mention of sd card of any type at all :(

Does anyone sell preconfigured SD cards with TOS/WIN compatibility or can someone make a complete idiots quide youtube video of the whole installation procedure including usb stick and loading images from it.

I really thought this would be more of a plug and play style device like on Amiga and C64 than something that needs hardware experience even to get started :(
Last edited by Marakatti on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Can't get this thing working

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 am

Hello Marakatti.

First question - do you have the firmware updated to the newest version? There were some fixes related to SD card few weeks ago.

Marakatti wrote:I can format and partition one of the cards with hd driver (altough it only says there is 1024mb in it even if it's a 8gt or 32gt card).

OK, this means that the device and the communication with it work, so this will be only some issue with configuration...

The 1024 MB limit happens when the HDDRIVER is not configured to use the device as ICD compatible, see #23 here:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

The firmware update to the newest version is required for this, too, as there was some bug in processing those ICD commands.

Marakatti wrote:strangely it only offers partitions from D onwards

This is due to HDDRIVER reserving a extra drive letter for each device, so when you have SD card on some ACSI ID (e.g. 1) and some other ACSI device on lower ACSI ID (e.g. 0), then the lower device gets the letter 'C' reserved, and the higher device gets the drive 'D' (and other - depending on the partition count) reserved.

Marakatti wrote:Should the boot read SD Card xxxxmb like in the Satandisk instructions? I only get Acsi 0 and 1. No mention of sd card of any type at all :(

No, this reporting of media and it's capacity has been removed from the inquiry command (which contains the string you see) because HDDRIVER had some issues with changing device name (which happened on media change), so what you see is OK.

Marakatti wrote:I really thought this would be more of a plug and play style device like on Amiga and C64 than something that needs hardware experience even to get started :(

Don't worry, you'll get it working soon, you just have to play with it for a while :)

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply. No, i haven't updated the firmware because lack of internet connection at my Atari-dungeon. Will try to take my gear to our house tomorrow :)

It's a real nice piece of hardware, i just hope to get it running so i can continue making pasti and msa-files to archive my collection and save them to pc-readable sd card or usb-stick.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 am

Finally got time to try again. I was able to update the firmware and downloaded one game via Cosmosex but what next?

When i go back to desktop it tries to access internal floppydrive instead of the disk image which is located in USB-stick. Tried to remove diskdrive from config but no difference.

How can i open the disk image i just downloaded? Should i connect some diskdrive cables to Cosmosex or how this works?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 am

Marakatti wrote:Finally got time to try again. I was able to update the firmware and downloaded one game via Cosmosex but what next?

Downloading it to your drive is just first step. Then you need to assign that image to image slot (get back to the image to slot mapping screen from downloading screen by pressing F8, and then you need to select that image using the button on the front of your device (you can have 3 different images between which you can switch without running this PRG).

Marakatti wrote:When i go back to desktop it tries to access internal floppydrive instead of the disk image which is located in USB-stick. Tried to remove diskdrive from config but no difference.

How can i open the disk image i just downloaded? Should i connect some diskdrive cables to Cosmosex or how this works?

The first thing you need to get the floppy emulation (using those images) working is connecting your CosmosEx device to ST also using the FDD cable - if you replace the internal drive with CosmosEx, then you will boot from the emulated floppy. If you connect the CosmosEx device externally (using the round floppy connector), then it will probably behave as drive B, which is probably not good for all the games, that means you have to find a jumper / solder switch in your ST to set the external drive as A and internal drive as B - how to do that can be found somewhere on this forum, I didn't try this one yet...

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:59 am

Many thanks. Now it works and loads disk images. This is one cool device!

It also seems that sometimes it's good thing to open old ST's. Found a PC Speed from Sack inside my ST :D

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”