USB Stick problem

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

USB Stick problem

Postby Jungsi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am

The most features are working for me, but I can't use a USB Stick on a USB port.
For testing my setup is this:
- trans assigned to ID0
- RAW assigned to ID1
- PC formatted USB Stick connected
- first translated disk on L
- config drive O
- shared drive P
I have only access to the config drive - HDDRIVER isn't recognizing the USB Stick on ID1.
What's the problem? Maybe I've something misunderstood in doing the setup the right way :)
Is there a chance to use a USB-hub to get more USB Ports? Havn't tested it until now :-)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: USB Stick problem

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 am

Hello Jungsi,

I will have to take a look at this one at home... Will report once I'll discover something.

Jookie

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello,
in the meantime the problems are much bigger.
Yesterday network was working properly - today it wasn't working anymore.
I've thought lets start from the beginning and have written back the SD-Card Image (for the Raspberry) which you can download from CosmosEx homepage.
Written back to SD-Card via USB Image Tool.

Now the CosmosEx isn't recognized anymore - you can't access it via ce_conf.prog.....it says there is no CosmosEx found :(
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 am

Jungsi wrote:Yesterday network was working properly - today it wasn't working anymore.

Damn, you've hit the network starting problem. (which seems just like a configuration issue)

Jungsi wrote:I've thought lets start from the beginning and have written back the SD-Card Image (for the Raspberry) which you can download from CosmosEx homepage.
Written back to SD-Card via USB Image Tool.

Now the CosmosEx isn't recognized anymore - you can't access it via ce_conf.prog.....it says there is no CosmosEx found :(

This might be due to older Raspberry Pi application vs. newer Hans firmware, which might crash the Rasperry Pi application...

OK, so let's try the recovery to the first start state.

1. Download the 'Raspberry Pi SD card image for running the device' and write it to the Raspberry Pi SD card, use device mode when writing to SD card (to start writing from sector 0 instead of writing only to higher (partition) sectors only).

2. Insert the SD card in Raspberry Pi inside of CosmosEx device, connect it to ethernet, turn it on, find out the IP address of your Raspberry Pi on network (e.g. 192.168.0.154), connect to it using ssh (e.g. using Putty), root password is 'ce'.

3. List the running processes using command 'ps', find line - something like:
269 root 2652 S {cesuper.sh} /bin/sh /ce/cesuper.sh
- the numbers will be probably different, don't worry about that, the 1st one is process ID, so kill that process using this
kill -9 X (where X is process ID, in my case it would be 'kill -9 269'

4. Now do the same as in #3 for the line containing '/ce/app/cosmosex'
(this might be not present in the list of processes as the app might be crashing after start right now)

5. Write the first firmwares to Hans and Franz:
/ce/update/flash_stm32 -x -w /ce/firstfw/hans.hex /dev/ttyAMA0
/ce/update/flash_stm32 -y -w /ce/firstfw/franz.hex /dev/ttyAMA0

6. Turn off the device, turn it on again and now it should be in the state like when it came to you.

I understand that this might be too long for a simple recovery procedure, but this should do the trick for now, and I will add something to the image later which would make this easier. Please try this and report how it went.

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks a lot!
That worked for me - it's now working again.
It seems that I've also the network problem - I have to do manually a "ifup eth0" on the raspi to get the network working after booting.
Then I have to "remount" the shared drive in th ce_cfg.
Unfortunately I'am no linux guru to do this with a script - the same problem seems to have some other guys so I think you are working on it. :-)

While my USB-Sticks are recognized by linux - my TOS harddisk driver (ICD) says "Unrecognized Unit"

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello Jungsi,

the network problem has been resolved (or it seems so), also I've done a fix for not mounting USB drives, see here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26705&p=255932#p255932

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”