Starting Problem

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Starting Problem

Postby Jungsi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't know what I've done wrong - after starting die CosmosEx the blue ACSI LED is shortly flashing and then the orange LED "1" is on and on the ST nothing is recognized 8) :?:
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: Starting Problem

Postby Brume » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I dunno if you have you tried to reset the ST, but it's necessary to give the time to the CosmosEX unit to boot.

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm

The first I've tried it with my 1040STE with the internal IDE Card by Alanh - HDDRIVER is recognizing ACSI 0 with CosmosEX but there is no Disk O for starting.
On my old Mega ST without harddisk it's working without a problem :-)

The orange LED on the "1" is a little bit confusing because on the video made by Jookie it's not on.....
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

After reading the description on Jookie's homepage I've found myself the solution.

In this case with the internal IDE-Adapter you have to put the Cosmos EX Disk Driver "CE_DD.PRG" into the AUTO Folder in the IDE Drive. :)

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi guys,

I am having similar symptoms, although perhaps not the same issue.

First, my system: I have an Atari Mega STe with TOS 2.06, and a hard drive. I bought it used recently, and this is my first time using an Atari computer with a hard drive.

I'm attaching CosmosEx to the external ACSI port, and not yet using the injector.

When I power on the CE, the blue ACSI LED flashes briefly, then orange LED "1" comes on. I wait a while, then power on the Mega STe.

I get the Atari logo, a memory test, and eventually the regular desktop with A & B floppy icons. My internal hard drive does NOT boot the machine, and its volumes are not mounted.

I try to "Add Icon" with drive letter "O" to get to the config drive, but it tells me the device doesn't exist.

I've tried this several times, always with the same results. I also SSHed into the CE and updated the firmware, but it made no difference.

If I disconnect the CE, then my machine boots from the internal hard drive normally, and I get my usual desktop with C, D, E, and F partitions.

Obviously there is some step I need to take, but I'm not sure what it is. As I said before, I've never before dealt with ACSI, hard drives, UltraSatan or any of that. Do I need to change some configuration on the machine before the Atari will recognize the CE? Can anyone help me?

--Josh

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Hello,
I'm on vacation, I'll be back in a week, then we will look at it.
Jookie

Sent from HTC Desire S

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I would be interested in an answer to Kirkman's problem. I think I have the same thing. Hey Jungsi, where did you download your copy of "CE_DD.PRG"?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:19 am

Kirkman wrote:I try to "Add Icon" with drive letter "O" to get to the config drive, but it tells me the device doesn't exist.

If you don't see this driver loaded after you turn on your ST, don't even bother to try opening drive 'O' - that drive works through that driver:

Kirkman wrote:My internal hard drive does NOT boot the machine, and its volumes are not mounted.

Here's the problem - you are running CosmosEx with another ACSI device (internal hard drive) on the ACSI bus, they are blocking each other as they are probably on the same ACSI ID. CosmosEx comes with the default ACSI ID set to 0, I have no idea what ACSI ID has the internal hard drive but it might have the same ACSI ID, so they talk through each other... With CosmosEx disconnected run some tool which will scan the ACSI bus and tell you the ACSI IDs of any connected devices (e.g. HDDRIVER demo, ICD Pro, ...)

You have (at least) these options:
- disconnect CosmosEx, configure ACSI ID of internal hard drive to something other than 0, then connect CosmosEx
- disconnect internal hard drive, connect CosmosEx, and using the CosmosEx config tool change the ACSI ID to something other, then connect back internal drive
- just remove the internal drive (if you don't want it)

There's also a possibility that the CosmosEx and internal hard drive might not work together on the ACSI bus, but let's not panic before it's really needed ;) First set up those different ACSI IDs to those devices and see what it does then.

Sowden wrote:Hey Jungsi, where did you download your copy of "CE_DD.PRG"?

The best source for the files found on the config drive is... the config drive ;) It's not a good thing to post here separate files as the versions of tools are tied to the versions of firmware (there are some changes in protocols, and so on), wrong version combinations might misbehave. If you (or anybody else) need the files which will work with his device (his versions of firmware), just download the files using some tool (e.g. WinSCP, using SCP protocol) to your PC - log in as root (password is 'ce'), the whole content of the config drive is in the folder:
/ce/app/configdrive

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:51 pm

I have the same problem. First I have an STE with 4 MB Ram and nothing else. I started the CosmosEX, but no Config-Driver loads. I then fiddled out that i have to copy the config.prg onto an SD-card. That ran for a few times well and the driver was available via Drive 0! But after i booted with an USB-Stick, which i have loaded with the new firmware, the CosmosEX does not find the config.prg any longer.

You suggest to download the DD-Driver, but i don't know the username. I tried it with safari.

may somebody help?

regards,
nada
https://www.microzeit.com/
The Atari ST and the Creative People vol.1

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

nada-san wrote:You suggest to download the DD-Driver, but i don't know the username. I tried it with safari.

Safari... Hmm, that sounds more like web browser for Mac than a SCP client, or am I wrong? If you use Windows, get WinSCP; if you got Mac, then you probably need something different. The username is 'root', the password is 'ce'.

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks, I already managed to download the files. But even with only the dd-Driver in the root of the sd-card i did not manage to reach the config-file. I stuck here and don't know what to do.

Any fresh ideas?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 pm

nada-san wrote:Thanks, I already managed to download the files. But even with only the dd-Driver in the root of the sd-card i did not manage to reach the config-file. I stuck here and don't know what to do.

OK, so you got the ce_dd.prg. Can you copy it on a floppy and run it manually? Does it then find the device on ACSI bus?

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I have not tried it. Not easy, as i normally didn't obtain and use any discs... The joke is, that before i had started the cosmosEx with the usb-stick the config was accessible.

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:04 am

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:My internal hard drive does NOT boot the machine, and its volumes are not mounted.

Here's the problem - you are running CosmosEx with another ACSI device (internal hard drive) on the ACSI bus, they are blocking each other as they are probably on the same ACSI ID. CosmosEx comes with the default ACSI ID set to 0, I have no idea what ACSI ID has the internal hard drive but it might have the same ACSI ID, so they talk through each other... With CosmosEx disconnected run some tool which will scan the ACSI bus and tell you the ACSI IDs of any connected devices (e.g. HDDRIVER demo, ICD Pro, ...)

There's also a possibility that the CosmosEx and internal hard drive might not work together on the ACSI bus, but let's not panic before it's really needed ;) First set up those different ACSI IDs to those devices and see what it does then.

An update. For reference, I have a MegaSTe with 4mb RAM.

I figured out a couple weeks ago that the CE doesn't work on cold boot; it requires a reset for the CE driver to load. So no worries, I can now see the N and O drives. I have had mixed success playing MegaSTe-adapted games from my translated drive N. I'm using a Mac, and sharing the folder via NFS (I couldn't get Samba to work)

As far as the hard drive goes, I have not yet had success getting it to work with the CE. And in my last attempt, I may have fried the HD. When I re-installed the drive, I put the ribbon cable on backwards, which caused one of the wires to get very hot and melt the insulation.

After flipping the ribbon cable and reconnecting it, the machine boots, and the hard drive spins. The Atari seems to read the HD's driver (this HD uses ICD) and some of the Auto folder stuff, but then I get the dreaded bombs or Msense errors and never reach the desktop. But this isn't CE's fault.

Anyway, going back to CE, here are the two issues I'm dealing with now:

* I cannot get the keyboard injector to work. Every time I try the injector, I get never-ending key bells when I start the computer. This makes it unusable, and has prevented me from trying to play games with my USB gamepad.

* I have a 2gb SD card, but can't get ICD HD Pro 6.5.5 to format it. ICDFMT.PRG finds the two CE devices and lets me choose the partition sizes. I click the partition button, and it attempts to format, and then it always fails with a"FATAL ERROR: Operation: Writing, Sector 2979976" message. Not sure if this is an ICD problem, SD card problem, or CE problem (I have never tried to use an SD card with the Atari before). Is it possible to format it on Mac (or Linux) so that the Atari will recognize it? I never get errors when I format this card on the Mac, even in FAT mode.

--Josh

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:33 am

Kirkman wrote:* I cannot get the keyboard injector to work. Every time I try the injector, I get never-ending key bells when I start the computer. This makes it unusable, and has prevented me from trying to play games with my USB gamepad.

Do you get the same (bad) result when everything is disconnected from the keyboard port - when you disconnect the injector and even the original keyboard? Does it work OK when only the original keyboard is plugged in? If you do have an ohm meter around, could you check if all connections on the injector are good, and if both cables used with this injector are good? (if the resistance from one end to another is low)

Kirkman wrote:* I have a 2gb SD card, but can't get ICD HD Pro 6.5.5 to format it. ICDFMT.PRG finds the two CE devices and lets me choose the partition sizes. I click the partition button, and it attempts to format, and then it always fails with a"FATAL ERROR: Operation: Writing, Sector 2979976" message. Not sure if this is an ICD problem, SD card problem, or CE problem (I have never tried to use an SD card with the Atari before).

If you follow this manual:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306
...in which step it fails?

Kirkman wrote: Is it possible to format it on Mac (or Linux) so that the Atari will recognize it? I never get errors when I format this card on the Mac, even in FAT mode.

If you format it with FAT on Mac / Linux / Windows, you should be able to use it with HDDRIVER (it has a support for DOS partitions). I'm not sure if ICD Pro has this support, I never use this feature.

Jookie

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:* I cannot get the keyboard injector to work. Every time I try the injector, I get never-ending key bells when I start the computer. This makes it unusable, and has prevented me from trying to play games with my USB gamepad.

Do you get the same (bad) result when everything is disconnected from the keyboard port - when you disconnect the injector and even the original keyboard? Does it work OK when only the original keyboard is plugged in? If you do have an ohm meter around, could you check if all connections on the injector are good, and if both cables used with this injector are good? (if the resistance from one end to another is low)

Okay, I got interesting results testing with nothing in the keyboard port. I tried the experiment a few times. The Mega STe always boots fine and goes to the desktop. No bells. After that, if I then try plugging in the original keyboard. Sometimes I get get the never-ending bells, which persist even when I unplugged the original keyboard. Other times there were no bells, or bells for just a second.

Booting with only the original keyboard plugged in does NOT result in bells, and the machine boots/works fine. Unplugging and re-plugging does not change anything.

I don't have an ohm meter, unfortunately.

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:* I have a 2gb SD card, but can't get ICD HD Pro 6.5.5 to format it. ICDFMT.PRG finds the two CE devices and lets me choose the partition sizes. I click the partition button, and it attempts to format, and then it always fails with a"FATAL ERROR: Operation: Writing, Sector 2979976" message. Not sure if this is an ICD problem, SD card problem, or CE problem (I have never tried to use an SD card with the Atari before).

If you follow this manual:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306
...in which step it fails?

Between steps 11 and 12.

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote: Is it possible to format it on Mac (or Linux) so that the Atari will recognize it? I never get errors when I format this card on the Mac, even in FAT mode.

If you format it with FAT on Mac / Linux / Windows, you should be able to use it with HDDRIVER (it has a support for DOS partitions). I'm not sure if ICD Pro has this support, I never use this feature.Jookie

Okay. I don't have HDDriver. Maybe I just need to get a new SD card, but those smaller cards (like 2gb) are hard to find now!

--Josh

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:05 am

Kirkman wrote:Okay, I got interesting results testing with nothing in the keyboard port. I tried the experiment a few times. The Mega STe always boots fine and goes to the desktop. No bells. After that, if I then try plugging in the original keyboard. Sometimes I get get the never-ending bells, which persist even when I unplugged the original keyboard. Other times there were no bells, or bells for just a second.

Booting with only the original keyboard plugged in does NOT result in bells, and the machine boots/works fine. Unplugging and re-plugging does not change anything.

I don't have an ohm meter, unfortunately.

Do you have the 4 wire cable plugged in the right connector on CosmosEx? The one marked as 'IKBD' on this picture: http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cosmosex_back_described.jpg

I've also created a page with all the things to check when the IKDB injection doesn't work:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529

Kirkman wrote:I don't have HDDriver. Maybe I just need to get a new SD card, but those smaller cards (like 2gb) are hard to find now!

You don't have to get a smaller card, it should work just fine with the larger cards. (I didn't had the time to test the ICD Pro yet, hopefully I will do it this night).

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 am

Kirkman wrote: Maybe I just need to get a new SD card, but those smaller cards (like 2gb) are hard to find now!

--Josh

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... sd%20cards

:)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Jookie wrote:Do you have the 4 wire cable plugged in the right connector on CosmosEx? The one marked as 'IKBD' on this picture: http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cosmosex_back_described.jpg

I've also created a page with all the things to check when the IKDB injection doesn't work:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529

That was the problem. I didn't realize there was another connector under the cover.

Now that the injector is connected to right connector, my original keyboard and mouse work fine.

However, my USB WingMan gamepad doesn't seem to be doing anything on the Atari. Do I need to install any drivers, or configure anything on the CE to make sure it recognizes the gamepad?

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:I don't have HDDriver. Maybe I just need to get a new SD card, but those smaller cards (like 2gb) are hard to find now!

You don't have to get a smaller card, it should work just fine with the larger cards. (I didn't had the time to test the ICD Pro yet, hopefully I will do it this night).

Hmm.. I tried again today with a 4gb Transcend SDHC card, but I'm getting the same error. ("A FATAL ERROR has occurred! Operation: Writing; Sector: xxxxxx") It doesn't make sense, because if I change "Verify Sectors" to 1, and it scans the entire disk, it doesn't find any bad sectors.

--Josh

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:30 am

Kirkman wrote:However, my USB WingMan gamepad doesn't seem to be doing anything on the Atari. Do I need to install any drivers, or configure anything on the CE to make sure it recognizes the gamepad?

Hmm, could you, please, log in to your Raspberry Pi (as root, password is 'ce') and paste here your output of:

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/input/by-path

It should list your joystick, I got something like this:

root@ce:~# ls -l /dev/input/by-path/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Aug 24 05:25 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-event-joystick -> ../event0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             6 Aug 24 05:25 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-joystick -> ../js0

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:However, my USB WingMan gamepad doesn't seem to be doing anything on the Atari. Do I need to install any drivers, or configure anything on the CE to make sure it recognizes the gamepad?

Hmm, could you, please, log in to your Raspberry Pi (as root, password is 'ce') and paste here your output of:

ls -l /dev/input/by-path

It should list your joystick, I got something like this:

root@ce:~# ls -l /dev/input/by-path/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Aug 24 05:25 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-event-joystick -> ../event0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             6 Aug 24 05:25 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-joystick -> ../js0

Mine looks almost exactly the same, except for the date:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Jun 24 08:20 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-event-joystick -> ../event0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             6 Jun 24 08:20 platform-bcm2708_usb-usb-0:1.2:1.0-joystick -> ../js0

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:59 am

Kirkman wrote:* I have a 2gb SD card, but can't get ICD HD Pro 6.5.5 to format it. ICDFMT.PRG finds the two CE devices and lets me choose the partition sizes. I click the partition button, and it attempts to format, and then it always fails with a"FATAL ERROR: Operation: Writing, Sector 2979976" message.

Josh, this issue has now been fixed, tested with HDDRIVER and with ICD Pro, see this:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26842#p257286
Could you, please, update and verify if it helped?

Kirkman wrote:Mine looks almost exactly the same, except for the date:

Hmm, that means that linux recognized the joystick. Can you, please, test the joystick with this app:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/JOYMOUT.ZIP
...and see if anything happens on joystick 0 or joystick 1 when you press the buttons? (to sides, fire buttons, move the analog stick)

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:* I have a 2gb SD card, but can't get ICD HD Pro 6.5.5 to format it. ICDFMT.PRG finds the two CE devices and lets me choose the partition sizes. I click the partition button, and it attempts to format, and then it always fails with a"FATAL ERROR: Operation: Writing, Sector 2979976" message.

Josh, this issue has now been fixed, tested with HDDRIVER and with ICD Pro, see this:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26842#p257286
Could you, please, update and verify if it helped?

Yep, that fixed it! I have now successfully partitioned a 4gb SD card, and installed the ICD driver.

There is a new problem, though. I'm trying to copy folders from my translated drive (N:, using NFS) to my SD card drive (D:) in TOS. However, after I copy a folder (or several folders), I find that only the first item in each folder actually copied.

So I have to go into the subdirectories in N, select the files that didn't copy, and drag them into the corresponding folder on D:.

Copying from a floppy to the SD card drive D: does *not* have this problem.

Jookie wrote:Hmm, that means that linux recognized the joystick. Can you, please, test the joystick with this app:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/JOYMOUT.ZIP
...and see if anything happens on joystick 0 or joystick 1 when you press the buttons? (to sides, fire buttons, move the analog stick)

When I use the gamepad, it shows up on Joystick 0, not Joystick 1.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 am

Kirkman wrote:There is a new problem, though. I'm trying to copy folders from my translated drive (N:, using NFS) to my SD card drive (D:) in TOS. However, after I copy a folder (or several folders), I find that only the first item in each folder actually copied.

So I have to go into the subdirectories in N, select the files that didn't copy, and drag them into the corresponding folder on D:.

Copying from a floppy to the SD card drive D: does *not* have this problem.

So this will be some issue in translated drive (either disk driver, or main app), I will take a look at this.

Kirkman wrote:When I use the gamepad, it shows up on Joystick 0, not Joystick 1.

Yes, that's true. First connected gamepad is attached as Joy 0, the second connected gamepad is attached as Joy 1. Would the opposite (1st as 1, 2nd as 0) be better behavior by default, or possibly a checkbox in the config screen to swap the order would be better?

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:21 am

Jookie wrote:
Kirkman wrote:When I use the gamepad, it shows up on Joystick 0, not Joystick 1.

Yes, that's true. First connected gamepad is attached as Joy 0, the second connected gamepad is attached as Joy 1. Would the opposite (1st as 1, 2nd as 0) be better behavior by default, or possibly a checkbox in the config screen to swap the order would be better?

I'm not an Atari gaming expert, but the games I've tried so far all seem to expect the joystick on port 1, and so I can't use the gamepad. Maybe someone with more experience could suggest whether port 1 would be a better default setting.

But certainly having the option to configure the ports would be very useful.

--Josh

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”