Wishlist

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Wishlist

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 am

DrCoolZic wrote:the only thing that is a pain is that you have to reload the images each time you reboot. I understand that you do not want to store the image on RPi SD but at least would be nice to store the path to the images and if present to reload them (could be an option like load images at boot time)?

Yes, as I wrote - this is done, but needs a fix, because it tries to load those images too soon, which can be before mounting of USB drive or network drive, and thus would fail (some sort of delaying is needed there).

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Jookie wrote:
SerialSinger wrote:I'm wondering if the CE could be used as a "TOS booter", saving Atari memory by using the Raspberry one for the TOS image relocation, by using just an AUTO program. A little crazy idea, I know... but being TOS a "static" amount of data, it may be feasible and could be worthwhile for machines with less RAM.

Ehm, I have no clue how that could work, could you explain your idea a bit more? What would be stored where, and so on?

TOS .IMG file loaded from any Atari drive, to the Raspberry RAM which becomes a RAM extension for the Atari; an AUTO program does the IMG loading and redirects the system calls to that external RAM locations, like other TOS booters do but with the huge difference that the Atari RAM will not be reduced by the TOS file size.

I know it's a bit weird, but now that I'm talking about it I'm wondering if this idea could become an even more powerful option: use some Raspberry RAM as Atari RAM expansion, not only for TOS loading! 8O

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:59 am

sounds great [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_08.gif]

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:24 pm

SerialSinger wrote:TOS .IMG file loaded from any Atari drive, to the Raspberry RAM which becomes a RAM extension for the Atari; an AUTO program does the IMG loading and redirects the system calls to that external RAM locations, like other TOS booters do but with the huge difference that the Atari RAM will not be reduced by the TOS file size.

I know it's a bit weird, but now that I'm talking about it I'm wondering if this idea could become an even more powerful option: use some Raspberry RAM as Atari RAM expansion, not only for TOS loading! 8O

OK, now I get it... The problem with this is that the transfer to RAM from CosmosEx is relatively slow - when compared to what you have when it's in EPROM or RAM. I guess that at least small bits of TOS still would have to be in RAM permanently as there are things running in interrupts and moving all the code here and there would slow things terribly down, so the biggest challenge would be to modify the TOS so it could be split to the small part (permanently stored in RAM) and to the big part, which would be loaded on demand and then freed, and I'm not good enough to handle this, although I can help the main developer of that with the part handling the transfer from and to CosmosEx, and also doing the supporting code on Raspberry Pi.

I guess that easier than modifying various binary TOS versions into the thing mentioned above would be to take EmuTOS sources, split it into those two parts, and modify it for all of this. This sounds like a lot of work, and I'm not sure if having EmuTOS instead of some version of original TOS is what you or other people would like to have. Anyway, this would need a much better ST coder than me ;)

The other part - using the Raspberry RAM as Atari expansion - this would be simpler, but the applications would need to use some sort of API to swap parts of memory to CosmosEx and then getting other parts back, and this is again not the thing that any existing application could use - there's not much hardware support in ST for swapping memory and pretending that the memory is bigger than it actually is.

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Sigh! I understand.
I know, some old ST RAM expansion boards required some hardware intervention to work. No "plug me in and you will see more memory" here...
I was hoping that the PI RAM could be "made visible" to the ST in some way, being the two devices already connected thru ACSI. Tricky, I know.

Maybe someone else can join the band and give you/us some hints?

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Jookie wrote: I guess that at least small bits of TOS still would have to be in RAM permanently as there are things running in interrupts and moving all the code here and there would slow things terribly down, so the biggest challenge would be to modify the TOS so it could be split to the small part (permanently stored in RAM) and to the big part, which would be loaded on demand and then freed (...)

I'm not fully convinced about that; I mean, I wonder how utilities such as SELTOS work. Sure the ST has to start booting from its own ROM TOS, but then the selected TOS image file "takes control" in some way. What about the ROM TOS since then?
Is there anybody here who knows more about these TOS booters?

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:16 pm

I dono if this is possible, but I have a request for the floppy emulation. I would like to mount a floppy in the first slot permanently so that its in the slot every time I turn on the CE box. Is there a way that I can do that in the Atari software? Thanks for all of your work, later.

TXG/MNX
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby TXG/MNX » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 am

Hi I would like to see an option to mount .iso files like normal cd on tos or as folder so i can browse the content and start it.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 pm

TXG/MNX wrote:Hi I would like to see an option to mount .iso files like normal cd on tos or as folder so i can browse the content and start it.

Wouldn't img mounting be more useful though? How many ISO images are there for Ataris?
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi i got all my cds / dvds as iso on my server and also most of my Atari files so using them like the cifs/nfs mapping would be nice. The great thing is from cosmosex i don't need to change what I got in my network just add my Atari so this would make it even better for me.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 pm

TXG/MNX wrote:Hi i got all my cds / dvds as iso on my server and also most of my Atari files so using them like the cifs/nfs mapping would be nice. The great thing is from cosmosex i don't need to change what I got in my network just add my Atari so this would make it even better for me.

Yeah, I guessed that much; but there's really no reason in keeping Atari files in isos, is there? No difference from having a directory with the files. On the other hand img files can be used for HDD emulation...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:17 pm

This also look strange to me?
If you want to mount iso just mount them on your PC and share the folder on the network.

TXG/MNX

Postby TXG/MNX » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:29 pm

I want to avoid to mount/unmout cd iso from pc because i got many and just want to open it as drive/folder i did read open .zip as folder is on the todo list of the cosmosex what i would like is the same only for .iso files

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:50 am

Is it possible to save desktop.inf to Drive O?

Also any plans to be able to somehow support long filenames? Maybe a custom disk image loader menu?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am

Marakatti wrote:Is it possible to save desktop.inf to Drive O?

Also any plans to be able to somehow support long filenames? Maybe a custom disk image loader menu?

Drive O is read only so answer is no
Request has been made to Jokkie to be able to boot from network. In this case it will be possible to save desktop info

Long file name are supported by CE_DD. This means that network drive or USB DOS drives can have long file name however they are of course shortened to 8.3 format as TOS does not have native support to LFN.
If you want LFN with TOS yuo can use BigDOS
Look at my doc http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/my ... _Guide.pdf LFN limitation is explain page 13 and BigDOOS usage is explained page 35

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:49 am

Ok, thanks. I was mainly after a clear way to load disk images as most of the net-stuff are in long filenames. When there are 3-5 different versions of the same game it's impossible to know which version to choose especially if they are multidisk games or demos...
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:22 am

@Jookie
Can you have a look here viewtopic.php?f=99&t=25499&p=261092#p261092 and let me know what you think :)

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:05 pm

What are the chances that floppy disk write will be supported this year?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am

wietze wrote:What are the chances that floppy disk write will be supported this year?

Currently I'm busy with the new batch of devices, with the newer SCSI version of the device, and with STiNG replacement for CosmosEx, so if nothing blows up, I guess I could take a look at the floppy write thing in few months (june?)...

highway
Atariator
Atariator

Postby highway » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi
In the WishList, I'm alone whishing to be able to browse the webusing the Atari ?
Something very basic, for example to have email / browse forum and use the raspi to translate the http protocole to something much faster/easier for the ST...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 am

highway wrote:In the WishList, I'm alone whishing to be able to browse the webusing the Atari ?
Something very basic, for example to have email / browse forum and use the raspi to translate the http protocole to something much faster/easier for the ST...

No, I'm dreaming of this, too ;) There are some options how to do that, e.g.:
- use the Opera Mini servers, which do compression and pre-rendering and simplification of web pages, but they are not usable for other apps than Opera Mini

- use some rendering engine on RPi or on my web server - viewing would be easy to do, but scrips support and sending / editing texts would be harder to do

- have a linux browser running on RPi, and then just show the 'screenshots' from it on ST, but that would be pretty much just browsing on RPi

This requires a very good idea and then the results might be fine. But I guess as most of the users just surf the net on PCs and Macs, they don't care much about this one.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 pm

The CosmosEx seems to be the ultimate hardware add on for ST, you made an amazing work Jookie !
I can't wait to get one as soon as they will be available again.
(despite some floppy emulation problems, can this be solved in the future ?)

I was wondering if there is a "developer" documentation for creating new tools for it ?
We could use the RPi as a "super calculator" and then transmit the result to the ST to show amazing screens, like a CosmosEx only demoscene category :)
That might be done with a function to transfer an "arm" program to the RPi, execute it then transfer data from rpi to st. (somewhat like the atari 2600 harmony cart if you know this hardware)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Orion_ wrote:I was wondering if there is a "developer" documentation for creating new tools for it ?
We could use the RPi as a "super calculator" and then transmit the result to the ST to show amazing screens, like a CosmosEx only demoscene category :)
That might be done with a function to transfer an "arm" program to the RPi, execute it then transfer data from rpi to st. (somewhat like the atari 2600 harmony cart if you know this hardware)

There is no documentation yet, but if anyone asks, I try to supply them with info.

The RPi as helper CPU is an idea that many people had, for demos, games, youtube & video player, mp3 player... It's just nobody didn't implement it yet, and I'm busy with more basic functionality, manufacturing, user support... But the potential is there. If you want to do something like that, I will support you with the info on the communication between the device and ST.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Jookie wrote:There is no documentation yet, but if anyone asks, I try to supply them with info.

The RPi as helper CPU is an idea that many people had, for demos, games, youtube & video player, mp3 player... It's just nobody didn't implement it yet, and I'm busy with more basic functionality, manufacturing, user support... But the potential is there. If you want to do something like that, I will support you with the info on the communication between the device and ST.

I'm also interested. Would be cool to have such a documentation.
I have an idea for an application which would download demos from Pouet and Demozoo directly to the ST. Thanks to that, we could completely skip PC in that process.

Also I'd like to request a new feature. From time to time I use PC and SSH to modify some RPi parameters. Would be cool to have access to that console directly form ST.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Would be cool to have access to that console directly form ST.

You already can. Run CE_CONF.PRG and press F8... you got a shell on the rpi!

Nrs.
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”