Wishlist

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Wishlist

Postby Brume » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:07 pm

OK, let's open the ball :)

Jookie, would it be possible to keep in the setup the last disk image mounted, even after the ST is turned off?

Or maybe (better?) a disk image that is loaded 'by default', where we can store the DESKTOP.INI and some programs?

I'm aware that a faulty image or a wrong program in the AUTO folder will crash the system each time it boots, so a KEY (Shift, Ctrl, etc.) that removes the disk image may be helpfull.

Let me know if that's possible to integrate that kind of feature (or not).

Thanks in advance.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Wishlist

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Brume wrote:Jookie, would it be possible to keep in the setup the last disk image mounted, even after the ST is turned off?

It is possible, and it should work even now, but only for images which are loaded from translated media (network drive or USB key) - I wanted to avoid writing to the internal SD card as much as possible to avoid data corruption or SD card wear out, and this media is accessible to CosmosEx device even with ST turned off.

I can change it that all the images currently used (mapped to LED / button) would be stored on the internal SD card, for the price / risk of the things mentioned above.

Brume wrote:Or maybe (better?) a disk image that is loaded 'by default', where we can store the DESKTOP.INI and some programs?

There is an empty default image now which is accessed when no image LED is on - to speed up ST boot. I would like to keep this one empty for the cases anyone would like not to boot in some floppy image, so the (another) default image with the desktop.ini and AUTO folder could go then on slot #1 when nothing else is there... The other thing is that the floppy write is not done yet (it's in the TODO list). Having only this single image on the SD card would be OK, as you probably wouldn't want to write too much to it, or not too often... It can be done.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Any chance to offer firmware updates in traditional downloads? My ST's are not even near to any internet-connection :lol:
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Marakatti wrote:Any chance to offer firmware updates in traditional downloads? My ST's are not even near to any internet-connection :lol:

same for me. currently I have no internet connection, due to long distance to the wifi router.

I'm going to buy wifi usb for raspberry pi therefore I have request for Stick/Sting network driver
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

Marakatti wrote:Any chance to offer firmware updates in traditional downloads? My ST's are not even near to any internet-connection :lol:

Ahm, I though that someone might need it... I was too naive thinking that everybody will have the device attached to the internet :) OK, this will be done, but to get it working you will need at least one update from the internet once the feature will be implemented...

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks :) My wife might find it soon surprising that her Mac has been magically transformed into old 1987 Atari STfm :mrgreen:

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm

The update from USB has been added to the latest update, see here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26705&p=255932#p255932

You will need one update from the internet to get this version, then you will be fine with the USB updates.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 pm

CosmosEx is really cool piece of hardware but after one week of usage I think that there are a few things which could be a bit improved:
- SD Card slot with push to eject mechanism;
- better access to RPI SD Card - now we have to completely disassemble CosmosEx;
- better access to Audio Out and RCA video Out - they are under screwed cover and also there is not enough space to connect Jack/RCA connector

And also from software side - during update process on the ST side could be shown a message "Update in progress. Do not turn power off!" and on the CosmosEx side could be flashing light
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Cyprian wrote:- better access to RPI SD Card - now we have to completely disassemble CosmosEx;
- better access to Audio Out and RCA video Out - they are under screwed cover and also there is not enough space to connect Jack/RCA connector

This would be problematic as I'm using all the space aroung RPi... The RPi SD card removal isn't normally needed (in the best case it would never be needed), and you can remove and insert the card using tweezers just like here, at 01:51 -- http://youtu.be/R-xkgD7yR1A?t=1m50s

Cyprian wrote:And also from software side - during update process on the ST side could be shown a message "Update in progress. Do not turn power off!" and on the CosmosEx side could be flashing light

This one can be done easily, even the flashing light could be done, but it flash in all cases - the LEDs are handled using Hans, so when the firmware of Hans would be updated then you wouldn't see the LEDs flashing...

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 pm

- add DESKTOP.INF to drive O - When Drive O is the only bootable drive, then TOS should load DESKTOP.INF from it and finally drive O icon should be visible in desktop.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 am

A TTP app that can be installed to open ST and MSA files, reset the machine and run the disk image :)

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 pm

I would like to have a "save/load config from file" option in the CE configuration tool, and an option to launch the config tool with initial default settings (by invoking an automatic cleanup of the configuration, for example), without being forced to connect to the PI via Putty and delete the config files manually...

With these options we could recall different setups for different machines or drives settings, without reconfigure everything all times, and also a simple way to recover from configuration errors.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:36 am

Marakatti wrote:A TTP app that can be installed to open ST and MSA files, reset the machine and run the disk image :)

This one has been added in release 2014-08-25, currently withou the machine reset (you have to press the button).

SerialSinger wrote:an option to launch the config tool with initial default settings (by invoking an automatic cleanup of the configuration, for example), without being forced to connect to the PI via Putty and delete the config files manually...

In the release 2014-08-25 a button in config screens 'Others' has been added - 'Reset all settings' - this deletes all the CosmosEx settings on device.

Cyprian wrote:- add DESKTOP.INF to drive O - When Drive O is the only bootable drive, then TOS should load DESKTOP.INF from it and finally drive O icon should be visible in desktop.

This one has been added in the previous release (but currently disabled on TT).

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 am

actually DESKTOP.INF will not work in case of MSTE and TT
NEWDESK.INF should be fine :)

thanks for those updates Jookie

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

Cyprian wrote:actually DESKTOP.INF will not work in case of MSTE and TT
NEWDESK.INF should be fine :)

There's also NEWDESK.INF sitting next to the DESKTOP.INF, so it should hopefully work for MSTE, too... Setting the boot drive on TT causes a crash on start, so it's currently disabled.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Jookie wrote:
Marakatti wrote:A TTP app that can be installed to open ST and MSA files, reset the machine and run the disk image :)

This one has been added in release 2014-08-25, currently withou the machine reset (you have to press the button).

Whohohouu! Megathanks :) :cheers:

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:25 am

Would be nice to have an indication about Ethernet connection. I finally discovered that during boot the IP address is displayed but all boot messages are difficult to read as they only stays for few seconds.

It would be nice that in the Network setting when you click [save] that the resulting Ethernet connection information are displayed.
Connection status, IP address, mask, and gateway.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Simple one.
First time you access the ACSI configuration page all the IDs are set to off!
This is strange as this is an invalid configuration, and you are able to access the configuration "pseudo partition" using ACSI channel 0.
I think it should probably set ID 0 to Trans

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Would be nice to have an indication about Ethernet connection. I finally discovered that during boot the IP address is displayed but all boot messages are difficult to read as they only stays for few seconds.

It would be nice that in the Network setting when you click [save] that the resulting Ethernet connection information are displayed.
Connection status, IP address, mask, and gateway.

I would rather add a separate screen for it triggered with extra button (e.g. 'Info') rather than showing something when saving settings, but yes, it could be added.

DrCoolZic wrote:First time you access the ACSI configuration page all the IDs are set to off!
This is strange as this is an invalid configuration, and you are able to access the configuration "pseudo partition" using ACSI channel 0.
I think it should probably set ID 0 to Trans

Yes, this is the case when you don't have anything set, but it automatically sets ACSI ID 0 to translated to allow the device be configured through ACSI, but I can change it to show that in that screen.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:25 am

CosmosEx can be used as a floppy emulator for drive 0 or 1 then 3 images can be selected.
Would it be possible to provide the capability to use it a drive A B at the same time. For the second drive it would be OK to have only one image specified (instead of the 3). This would allow to transfer data from one floppy to the other.

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm wondering if the CE could be used as a "TOS booter", saving Atari memory by using the Raspberry one for the TOS image relocation, by using just an AUTO program. A little crazy idea, I know... but being TOS a "static" amount of data, it may be feasible and could be worthwhile for machines with less RAM.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

SerialSinger wrote:I'm wondering if the CE could be used as a "TOS booter", saving Atari memory by using the Raspberry one for the TOS image relocation, by using just an AUTO program. A little crazy idea, I know... but being TOS a "static" amount of data, it may be feasible and could be worthwhile for machines with less RAM.

Ehm, I have no clue how that could work, could you explain your idea a bit more? What would be stored where, and so on?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Would it be possible to boot from network?
Currently when no media inserted CE boot from O drive. This is not so nice as O is read only and does not allow you to setup a network drive and change your desktop (O is read only)
So it would be nice to boot from network where you can save desktop etc...

Also it would be nice to be able to "place an image" in CE floppy emulator that stay when power off?
So next time you boot system you can boot from this floppy image (using for example alt key) ?
less important

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Would it be possible to boot from network?
Currently when no media inserted CE boot from O drive. This is not so nice as O is read only and does not allow you to setup a network drive and change your desktop (O is read only)
So it would be nice to boot from network where you can save desktop etc...

If by 'boot from network' you mean 'boot from network drive / shared drive', then yes, this is possible. I could add a boot drive selection to config, so you would set that you want to boot from drive 'G', then set the shared drive to 'G' and that would be it.

The other issue with this is - when to set the boot drive?
- if you have only translated media, then there's no problem - just select one for booting
- but if you have also SD card or some RAW media, then you might be already booting from that RAW media and maybe you don't want to force new boot drive (e.g. to 'G').

Currently also the drive 'O' is set as a boot drive only in case there's no other drive (e.g. C:) present. Would be another checkbox 'Force boot drive' in config a way how to do it?

DrCoolZic wrote:Also it would be nice to be able to "place an image" in CE floppy emulator that stay when power off?
So next time you boot system you can boot from this floppy image (using for example alt key) ?

This should work if you have that image on USB key or network drive - it should get loaded on the start, but currently there's a bug in that - mounting of network drive and USB media takes a while, and the loading of floppy image tries to access it too soon (this will be fixed later).
But if you have the floppy image on SD card, then that's harder to do (there would have to be upload of the image first), and I don't want to store any extra data on the SD card of Raspberry Pi (to avoid faster card wearing out), so I don't want to store the floppy image inside before shut down...

That ALT key for booting from drive 'A' instead of forced boot drive (from the previous part of the post) can be done, but I would vote for other key than ALT (e.g. CTRL or SHIFT) as ALT is used on TOS 2.0x to skip loading of drivers and software, right?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:38 am

Well obviously the idea is to load a driver if no other driver has been loaded before.

I do not remember the details but I think in one of the Atari doc about DMA programming it is indicated that the TOS scan all the IDs and load the boot loader of a drive if found (this code is then responsible to boot from the drive). When the boot loader returns the remaining ID are scan and control is transfered if boot loader code found. But it is possible to "break/stop" this chain, so that when the system has loaded a driver it can skip the other device (like HDD) or not (like PPD)?

So the idea (if possible) would be see if a driver has already been installed and a boot drive has been defined, in that case just load CE_DD and do nothing else, but if no driver has been loaded then you define the boot drive (as specified in a new entry in config). This is what is done by PPD on ultrasatan for example if already booted from SD0 and find another boot on SD1 then skip (this is easier because the same driver?).

Now the question of booting from network if SD card present: would be nice to be able to do this again if CE_DD is loaded first. For example if in config you have ID0=TRAN and ID1=SD
So same mechanism when CE_DD loads just see if a driver already loaded

For the floppy this is not so important.
the only thing that is a pain is that you have to reload the images each time you reboot. I understand that you do not want to store the image on RPi SD but at least would be nice to store the path to the images and if present to reload them (could be an option like load images at boot time)?

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”