Floppy images downloading and possible extensions

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Floppy images downloading and possible extensions

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Hello all CosmosExers ;)

Did you know that you can download the Automation disk images (containing games) directly to CosmosEx device, using simple config tool? See it in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMwjHtlmMg

With this you can play some old games, those images will be stored on any media that CosmosEx can use, e.g. Atari formated SD card, PC formated USB key, or like in the video - in the folder on some PC which is attached through network and mapped under letter 'N'.

Now... We could have more different game collections there, it's just a matter of filling one .csv file with the URLs and game names (I'm not doing any hosting of images).

And what we could have more is... Another simple application, something like some app store, but all content will be free (I guess there aren't many commercial SWs around these days). You could have categories there like: tools, games, demos and so on, so you would just select what you want (like when downloading those floppy images) and download them after few clicks.

The application would be easy to do (at least in that console style ;) or for somebody skilled in GEM development even with GEM UI), the downloading of files from internet through CosmosEx is not a big deal (all it's done in the device, you just receive the data), the only problem now is... some system and few willing guy(s) who would manage the database. With a simple web interface you would just select category (game / demo / tool), date of release (so we can have the newest on top), type in the name and copy & paste the URL. This isn't difficult to do, too, it's more about people who actively follow news on Atari scene and want to spend some little time with this (e.g. go to some forums, Atari news pages, once in few days).

So, any volunteers? :)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Floppy images downloading and possible extensions

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:52 am

I can do SW for making accessible floppy images on my site: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/astgam.php
It will need however unZIP in process - what should be not problem, I think.
So, as possible extension I see ZIP in first place :D It is not just to reduce file sizes, but for safety reasons - with unarchived files you can never be 100% sure that it is DL-ed correct. You meant some other 'extensions' in thread title, I guess :)

More interesting would be access to hard disk adaptations, which are strangely again in ZIP archives :D I guess that it then needs to go in Atari hard disk partition instead of partition for floppy images.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:45 am

AtariZoll wrote:I can do SW for making accessible floppy images on my site: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/astgam.php

You mean like some export of the current list of images?

AtariZoll wrote:It will need however unZIP in process - what should be not problem, I think.
So, as possible extension I see ZIP in first place :D It is not just to reduce file sizes, but for safety reasons - with unarchived files you can never be 100% sure that it is DL-ed correct.

Unzip is not a problem. The safety part (even without ZIP) is done by having checksum as a next field in the .csv list, and checking the file after download against that checksum. (This is already done just to make sure that the firmware update will get non corrupted files).

AtariZoll wrote:You meant some other 'extensions' in thread title, I guess :)

I didn't mention them as I got bit lost in the description of this 'app store', but the app store uses one of them, I will write something about that in the next post (to keep it separated from this reply).

AtariZoll wrote:More interesting would be access to hard disk adaptations, which are strangely again in ZIP archives :D I guess that it then needs to go in Atari hard disk partition instead of partition for floppy images.

Hmm, the ZIP file could be mapped to a specific drive letter, or could be directly extracted to any currently available drive. I wonder what would be people more interested in.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 am

I'll continue here in the topic about the possible extensions, this might be interesting mostly for developers...

To make development of software on Atari easier, we can have simple functions like those which will follow, they will be handled in CosmosEx device and you would have a very simple functions on ST, e.g.:
1) download a file from network - you specify just the URL (http://something.com/file.zip or ftp://something.com/file.zip) and you will get the downloaded file (data) from the device
Example usage: download a .csv file from the server containing list of URLs, then download any of those URLs, and voila - you have the 'app store'. All you need to care about is the UI.

2) ping a network address - if you make some internet enabled app, ping might come handy

3) unzip a file and retrieve individual files from it - when you download something that is ZIPed

This is what I can think of now, it's not done (yet) as I'm not sure if there would be someone interested in this. You can also add your possible extensions what the device might do for you to make your new app easier to make.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Regarding hosting, I've got a Linux VPS sitting doing precious little... if anyone needs some space, give me a call (though I suspect lots of people here have access to better hardware).
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”