Bug reports

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Bug reports

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:55 am

Posting a link here as a reminder: there are some issues with the device on TT, something with different ACSI handling...

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26754&p=255807#p255806

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Jookie wrote:There might be another fix to the issue than these scripts, but it will take me another 2 or 3 days to do that, I'm stuck with finishing and packaging the ordered devices for now...

To not convolute the process, I will not post my crappy workarounds then. If someone really cant wait, feel free to PM me, and I'll share what I got.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:04 am

New version of RPi app and Franz firmware are out (2014-07-27):

- fix for bad behavior of original mouse when forwarded through injector and moving fast - happened on Mega ST, didn't happen on sandwich STFM.

- fix for the network not starting problem - CosmosEx didn't save 'auto eth0' to /etc/network/interfaces, this caused linux not to start eth0 automatically -- big thanks to Mark Fechtner (TinTzi) for finding the issue!, also moved wpa (wifi) configuration to separate config file. The network not starting happens when you save the configuration with the older version of app - that will overwrite the original config file with which it worked...

- added username and password to 'shared drive configuration' - now you can specify the credentials if you don't like public sharing of your data on the network, this should also fix issue with Windows 8 sharing, as it didn't work with empty / wrong username and password (this is not tested, I don't have any Win 8 around).

At least few of you should test this update - if it work and doesn't break anything and report here, then everyone else could do the update (I've tested it on my devices, but I might overlooked something).

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Another version of RPi app is out (2014-07-28):

- fix for not mounting USB drives (simple mistake when checking if the translated / raw mode is enabled)

- added 'ce_mounts.prg' tool to config drive - it shows you on what drive letter you have what drive, also pressing letters 'C' to 'P' unmounts the drive - if you use USB removable drive, then you should do this to avoid data loss (this does sync and umount)

- update from USB added to ce_config.prg, the update files will then be on my web-page somewhere (link later)

Known issues with update -- when the RPi app is unZIPed to the right dir, even with calling 'sync' after unzip in the script (which should flush the caches and thus write all data to disk), if you turn off the device too soon (hard to tell if it's a matter of seconds or tens of seconds) you will end up with loosing the RPi application and thus the device will stop responding to ST, but still is accessible through SSH... This can be fixed by opening the console, and doing following:

1) rm -rf /ce/app
2) mkdir /ce/app
3) cd /ce/app
4) wget http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/update/app.zip
5) unzip app.zip
6) chmod 777 cosmosex
7) rm -f app.zip
8 ) sync

(...and don't turn off the device again too soon - I'll have to find a solution to this issue)

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Sorry to say that - after the update the network and USB Bug is already there.
I've done the update by the menu from ce_conf and it says "Main App 2014-07-28" - the ce_mount.prg is on disk O
But the network is only working after ifup like before and the USB Stick is "unrecognized device"
Have I done something wrong with the update?

***EDIT****
Network is working - after the update you have to go one time in the network settings with ce_conf and save the settings.
This is for me ok now :)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Sorry for writing again :) Here is my list:
- USB Device not recognized
- when downloading images they are saved without filename when the drive is SD-Card - on network share its ok
- when an image is uploaded to a slot and you get back to desktop and open Drive A: always the internal floppy is used (maybe only a user problem) :)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:03 am

Jungsi wrote:Network is working - after the update you have to go one time in the network settings with ce_conf and save the settings.

Argh, yes, I forgot to mention that everyone who has a bad config (created by the older version) needs to save the right config... I need to remember that people can't read my mind :(

About the USB not recognized - if you are able to do the following, it could help me a bit:
- plug in the USB key to the device and then turn it on
- kill the 'ce_super.sh' script and then the 'cosmosex' app (ps, then kill -9 pid)
- cd /ce/app/
- and run the cosmosex app on higher log level: ./cosmosex ll3
- turn on the ST, let it boot from CosmosEx, wait couple of seconds
- then using some tool (e.g. WinSCP) get the log file: /var/log/ce.log
...and send me the log file ( joo@kie.sk )

Jungsi wrote:Sorry for writing again :)

No problem, having bug reports is a good thing, so I could fix them and make more people satisfied.

Jungsi wrote:- when an image is uploaded to a slot and you get back to desktop and open Drive A: always the internal floppy is used (maybe only a user problem) :)

Hmm... So you have internal (real) floppy and CosmosEx connected through FDD external connector, right? CosmosEx will never replace the existing device, so if you have your ST in a configuration that your internal real floppy is A and external floppy (CosmosEx) is B, then you should open the drive 'B'. This sounds like it might need a separate thread here, as I never tried this, and you might need some jumper / wire change in ST (or not).

One last thing:
I'm leaving for a week (and something) vacation with my family, so I won't read and reply here and even on the email too much, if at all. I'll be back somewhere on 8.8. All the paid packages have been sent, no one is waiting with money being sent and package waiting to be sent after that :)

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 am

Jookie wrote:Hmm... So you have internal (real) floppy and CosmosEx connected through FDD external connector, right? CosmosEx will never replace the existing device, so if you have your ST in a configuration that your internal real floppy is A and external floppy (CosmosEx) is B, then you should open the drive 'B'. This sounds like it might need a separate thread here, as I never tried this, and you might need some jumper / wire change in ST (or not).

One last thing:
I'm leaving for a week (and something) vacation with my family, so I won't read and reply here and even on the email too much, if at all. I'll be back somewhere on 8.8. All the paid packages have been sent, no one is waiting with money being sent and package waiting to be sent after that :)

No - as I see now it's a user problem - I've nothing connected to the floppy port of the CosmosEX - that wasn't really clear to me :-)
Jungsi wrote:- when downloading images they are saved without filename when the drive is SD-Card - on network share its ok

any idea why they are saved without filename on SD-Card?

Happy holidays to you and your family!

widower2008
Atarian
Atarian

Postby widower2008 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Jookie,

Received my Cosmos Ex and it looks great! Tried to connect it up with my older MEGA ST but when connected inline with the keyboard I get a stream of continuous beeps, the same as when the keyboard is not connected at all. The ST boots find when the keyboard is connected directly but not when the power injector is included either with the Cosmos Ex device attached or not.

Is there another method of powering the Cosmos Ex without using the power injector? i.e. via the mini B USB port under the 4 pin power connector?

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:44 pm

widower2008 wrote:Hi Jookie,

Is there another method of powering the Cosmos Ex without using the power injector? i.e. via the mini B USB port under the 4 pin power connector?

The USB mini port is the "only" way to give power to the ComosEX - the 4 pin connector gives the power to a connected floppy drive.
The other connector is only for connecting a modern USB-Keyboard or a mouse to the Mega ST without using a driver on the ST.
In the video section on Jookies homepage are some good videos about this. http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Jungsi wrote:The USB mini port is the "only" way to give power to the ComosEX - the 4 pin connector gives the power to a connected floppy drive.
The other connector is only for connecting a modern USB-Keyboard or a mouse to the Mega ST without using a driver on the ST.
In the video section on Jookies homepage are some good videos about this. http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415

Hmm, okay bit of confusion here. I don't have mine installed yet, but I thought the 4 pin power connector was for internal
use, and the mini-usb port was for an external power connection. Thought I read that somewhere else or am I wrong?

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:56 pm

DarkLord wrote:Hmm, okay bit of confusion here. I don't have mine installed yet, but I thought the 4 pin power connector was for internal
use, and the mini-usb port was for an external power connection. Thought I read that somewhere else or am I wrong?

Thanks.

I think you are right - I was too fast with my post - the 4 pin for internal use (instead of floppy drive) - USB port for external use.
The ACSI adapter have to be connected in both ways or is this also wrong? :) Have to give it a try this evening.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Jungsi wrote:I think you are right - I was too fast with my post - the 4 pin for internal use (instead of floppy drive) - USB port for external use.
The ACSI adapter have to be connected in both ways or is this also wrong? :) Have to give it a try this evening.

Assuming a little bit here, but I would assume :) that the ACSI cable has to be plugged in, in just about all scenario's.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

widower2008
Atarian
Atarian

Postby widower2008 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

DarkLord wrote:
Jungsi wrote:The USB mini port is the "only" way to give power to the ComosEX - the 4 pin connector gives the power to a connected floppy drive.

Hmm, okay bit of confusion here. I don't have mine installed yet, but I thought the 4 pin power connector was for internal

Thanks.

Ok now have my CosmosEx powered and connected using the external power. To be able to see the device I have to connect it to the hard drive ASCI port on the back of my Mega ST 2, Ethernet and not using the IKDB injector as with this connected the original keyboard seems to work but the mouse gets stuck in the top left corner of the screen!

I have tried to set up the shared drive and an SD card but so far I am not having much luck. I have used the CE_CONF.PRG to setup as follows
ACSI config tool
id 0 = trans
id 1 = sd
id 3 to 7 = raw - not sure why but doesn't seem to matter for what I am doing so far!

Translated disk
First translated as G
Shared drive as P
Config Drive as O

Shared drive is enabled using cifs
server IP is valid
share is entered as Atarishared
Valid username and password defined

(The share is on a Netgear NAS drive and has been tested with the user id and password from a windows box)
Floppy config is enabled as drive 1 (Note my old diamond button drive doesn't rotate but the stepper motor is fine!)
I can open the Drive O no problem, when I add drive P it shows as an empty drive which I then copied a file to and that appears to be on the Raspberry Pi SD card not the SD in the external SD slot......
Not sure where I am going wrong but hoping for more help if possible as you guys seem to know stack loads!
Hope to add a PC floppy with the cable fix mentioned elsewhere on here if I can find a 34 pin male and female idc plus a spare bit of 34 way cable - might cut it off a spare PC cable but then need the male end so I don't need to damage the Atari original!

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby attle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Ok, I now have a very frustrating issue which I can reproduce.

In short: The CosmosEx "forgets" the ICD driver installation on cold boot.

Summary: Everytime I shut off the power to CosmosEx, the ST doesn't boot from SD after I power it on again. To "fix" this, I have to boot from the ICD driver floppy, and then start ICDFMT.PRG. I don't even have to partition the SD card again, the partitions are still there. If I just quit and reboot the Atari, suddenly the HDD driver is loaded from disk and the ICD logo appears on the boot screen.

Anyone else experiencing this? :(

TOS 1.02, Mega ST2

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I will take a look at it once I get home from vacation (saturday).

Jookie

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I found a bug two bugs, one I cannot further deduce, another I can pinpoint the difference:

1).
Testcase: TalkTalk2 (critically acclaimed demo :)), HD version: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=55267

- On the old UltraSatan: the demo loads, from the introscreen where there is a progressbar in a circle shape, it progresses and thus loads nicely
- On the CosmoEx, both from SDCARD as TRANS drive, the progress bar does not progress.

@Jookie, are you able to have a look (given the right time) as to how this could be explained?

2).
Testcase: Captive (the game), MSA file from the replicants, using the Disk image by the Disk emulated CosmoEX (which works wonders btw :)):
- WITH IKBD passthrough plug used: IKBD input works at the cracktro, but when arriving at the actual game intro, the IKBD input no longer works (the game intro cannot skipped, the game cannot be started)
- WITHOUT the IKBD passthrough; the ingame intro CAN be skipped

The only difference in the setup is whether or not I use the CosmoEx IKBD passthrough. When I use it, the input becomes disabled, when I do not use it, it works as intended.

I understand that these are very specific cases, that may only occur on my cosmosex. Therefore I would like to ask any reader to check if they can reproduce my testcases, unless Jookie immediate has an `EUREKA' moment and knows whats up.

[EDIT]:
----
I found out that the IKBD adapter for the CosmosEx is not `just' a passthrough. If I use the adapter without the cosmosex attached, the keyboard does not work for me (and thus only works when the cosmosex is connected to it as well).
----

[EDIT2]
----
Bug 3):
An observation; if I load 3 disk images in the 3 slots. And under GEM, I open the A drive, while `image 1' is inserted. Then close A:\, press the CosmosEx disk image button and then open A:\ again, I would expect to see the contents of `image 2'; instead I still see the contents of `image 1'.

If I click the A:\ drive and select File > Show Info, it forces to actually (re?)load the disk.

Is there a way to imrpvoe this? Or is this normal behaviour. I would expect the machine to access the disk every time its accessed.

I ran into this problem when I was trying to save games of captive to a created savegame disk. However, when Im using the cosmosex, Captive recognizes the savegame disk, and it tells me the save is succesful; howvever Im not able to load the saved game back from the disk image. When reproducing the scenario under steem I can both save and reload the saved game; which is not possible under cosmosex.

@Jookie, if you need any more information, please do say; I'd happily provide.
---

Regards,
Wietze

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 am

Jungsi wrote:- when downloading images they are saved without filename when the drive is SD-Card - on network share its ok

any idea why they are saved without filename on SD-Card?[/quote]

I have this exact problem.

*edit* discovered last night that at least some of the more random issues are caused by powerproblems. powering the rasppi directly made things work more reliably. *edit*

And i also have not been successful mounting usb stick.

What does work is :
autobooting from sdcard ( until it stops working or card goes corrupt, whatever it is ... )
Shared drive, copying things to c: and running applications from c:
Downloading images from the "appstore" ( but not saving them to c: )

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:58 am

I'm back and there's a new version of Main App (2014-08-10):

- PrgFlags on all apps in config drive are now off - the current versions of these apps don't like TT ram, I'm not sure if DMA transfer can work with TT ram (if I remember correctly, then it doesn't), so that's why :)

- fix for truncating files when doing Fopen with S_WRITE, which is used for modifying content of file - this caused that when you used some app (e.g. PrgFlags.PRG) which only modified existing file, the file then became empty (this issue appears only on TRANSLATED drives, native drives weren't affected).

- fix for not saving floppy image files with name (or saving them with empty name) on native drives when using ce_fdd.prg - there was an extra backslash added when constructing saving path (e.g. C:\GAMES\\A000.ST) so TOS decided to use empty filename ;)

- fix for not mounting USB key as translated when the key didn't contain any partitions (no /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2) but just the whole key was a single partition (just /dev/sda)

Also note that there was a link added to CosmosEx download page to update file for update from USB key ( http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=474 ) and also a short manual about that ( http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=484 ) - that update file will be updated on every new update :) (herp de derp...)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 am

widower2008 wrote:I have tried to set up the shared drive and an SD card but so far I am not having much luck. I have used the CE_CONF.PRG to setup as follows
ACSI config tool
id 0 = trans
id 1 = sd
id 3 to 7 = raw - not sure why but doesn't seem to matter for what I am doing so far!

Shared drive is enabled using cifs
server IP is valid
share is entered as Atarishared
Valid username and password defined

(The share is on a Netgear NAS drive and has been tested with the user id and password from a windows box)

If you don't plan to use USB drives with ICD Pro or HDDRIVER (to access sectors of that media directly) but rather use them through translated disk driver (ce_dd), then you don't need RAW devices assigned to ACSI IDs.

About that shared drive... When you log in your Raspberry Pi as root (password is 'ce'), does this work?
mount -v -t cifs -o gid=1000,uid=1000,username=YOUR_USERNAME,password=YOUR_PASSWORD //server_ip/Atarishared /mnt/shared

If something is entered wrong (e.g. your shared folder isn't named 'Atarishared', the server_ip is not reachable, your_username or your_password is wrong), you should see a corresponding message... You should get the same results (log messages) when the mount fails and you see files MOUNT.LOG and MOUNT.ERR instead of the shared drive content - just open them and see what's in them.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 am

wietze wrote:Testcase: TalkTalk2, ... Testcase: Captive (the game)

I can't test this right now as I run in ST high (monochrome) all the time, but I got some device to get ST low on the LCD monitor, so I have to get this working first and then I'll take a look at those two.

wietze wrote:An observation; if I load 3 disk images in the 3 slots. ... If I click the A:\ drive and select File > Show Info, it forces to actually (re?)load the disk.

It should possibly work better, have to take a look at that as well. What is your machine and TOS version?

wietze wrote:I ran into this problem when I was trying to save games of captive to a created savegame disk. However, when Im using the cosmosex, Captive recognizes the savegame disk, and it tells me the save is succesful; howvever Im not able to load the saved game back from the disk image.

Yes, this is normal as writing to floppy is not supported (done) yet. It will be done in the near future, but now I'm focused on fixing bugs which prevent users to do basic stuff, so this will be done later (I will fix the mentioned bugs sooner than doing this).

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 am

attle wrote:In short: The CosmosEx "forgets" the ICD driver installation on cold boot.

Summary: Everytime I shut off the power to CosmosEx, the ST doesn't boot from SD after I power it on again. To "fix" this, I have to boot from the ICD driver floppy, and then start ICDFMT.PRG. I don't even have to partition the SD card again, the partitions are still there. If I just quit and reboot the Atari, suddenly the HDD driver is loaded from disk and the ICD logo appears on the boot screen.

Do you have to run the ICDFMT.PRG to get it working again, or just a reset or two of your ST would be enough? (try that if you didn't do it yet) There is a known issue that it needs a ST restart or two to get something initialized properly to boot the SD card... I know this one is annoying, it will be fixed, but it's nothing that catastrophic (but I agree that this will have to be fixed).

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 am

I can confirm the talktalk2 problem.
From shared drive and using floppy emulation, same issue, no progressbar movement.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Jookie wrote:
wietze wrote:Testcase: TalkTalk2, ... Testcase: Captive (the game)

I can't test this right now as I run in ST high (monochrome) all the time, but I got some device to get ST low on the LCD monitor, so I have to get this working first and then I'll take a look at those two.

Forget about the not-loading of the TalkTalk 2 demo. ggn has looked into it, and it seems to be a bug in the loader of the demo. So this is confirmed not to be a bug of the cosmosex.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Jookie wrote:
wietze wrote:An observation; if I load 3 disk images in the 3 slots. ... If I click the A:\ drive and select File > Show Info, it forces to actually (re?)load the disk.

It should possibly work better, have to take a look at that as well. What is your machine and TOS version?

TOS 1.06 (GB)
Machine: Atari STE (4mb)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”