Bug reports

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Bug reports

Postby ryan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 am

3 FDD blinks. One initially at reset, second after about 4 or 5 seconds, final right as Desktop starts. Double clicking A drive icon blinks FDD again. No drive O available, drive A has empty contents. Happens with or without SD card inserted.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:32 am

ryan wrote:3 FDD blinks. One initially at reset, second after about 4 or 5 seconds, final right as Desktop starts. Double clicking A drive icon blinks FDD again. No drive O available, drive A has empty contents. Happens with or without SD card inserted.

Then this doesn't look like it's completely dead - the linux app seems to start just fine. Can you set the ACSI ID 0 to CE_DD? This should get the drive 'O' back on boot. You can do that using the config tool (get it from here: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=474 ), or through ssh, or through web interface of CosmosEx.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:48 pm

I faced some new issues:
    - WiFi works ok, but during booting ST shows message "No working network interface.";
    - I configured Translated disk-->Config drive as "E", but after ST reset, there was only icon for drive "O". After adding "E" config application were working ok.
    - I configured Translated disk-->Shared drive as "C", but after reset, ST was booted from Drive "O". Icon for drive "C" wasn't present on the desktop. After adding it shared drive content was available.
    - During updating latest "Hans", for an one hour was visible message "Downloading". After that time I just pressed Cancel button. I've rechecked the update status and "Hans" was marked as "the same"

Do you know how to change timezone in CosmosEx?
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Cyprian wrote:
    - I configured Translated disk-->Config drive as "E", but after ST reset, there was only icon for drive "O". After adding "E" config application were working ok.
    - I configured Translated disk-->Shared drive as "C", but after reset, ST was booted from Drive "O". Icon for drive "C" wasn't present on the desktop. After adding it shared drive content was available.

The desktop.inf TOS is forced to load is currently a fixed one, containing only drives A, B and O. It could be generated based on the config, though.

But booting from a shared drive as C (executing /auto/ etc.) won't work currently AFAIK.

Cyprian wrote:Do you know how to change timezone in CosmosEx?

AFAIR the timezone offset can be set in ce_config under "Other".

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:12 pm

tin wrote:The desktop.inf TOS is forced to load is currently a fixed one, containing only drives A, B and O. It could be generated based on the config, though.

But booting from a shared drive as C (executing /auto/ etc.) won't work currently AFAIK.

In case of shared drive, would be cool to have a checkbox - "bootable". In that case the TOS could automatically add drive "C" icon and load desktop.inf from that drive.

tin wrote:AFAIR the timezone offset can be set in ce_config under "Other".

found it, thanks
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:42 am

I've just checked CosmosEX on my TT and with the same setup:
    - TT: drive C is on the Desktop, Newdesk.Inf is loaded from it (it opens saved windows);
    - STE: drive C is not present. Desktop.Inf isn't loaded from it.
In both cases shared drive works ok.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:20 am

Ce_dd forces the current (aka boot-) drive to the config drive letter if no harddisk driver is present (to make first config easier). This is disabled on TT as it has been proven unstable on TTs TOS versions. That's why the newdesk.inf is loaded from shared drive on TT, but not on STs.

A config flag like you suggested should help to get the same behaviour on ST.

ryan

Postby ryan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Not so much a bug report, but worth nothing that I tried Magic v5 this past weekend with my CE on my Mega STe and it crashes with 4 bombs. I doubt anybody needs to jump through hoops to support Magic at this point, but thought I'd point it out.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 pm

ryan wrote:Not so much a bug report, but worth nothing that I tried Magic v5 this past weekend with my CE on my Mega STe and it crashes with 4 bombs. I doubt anybody needs to jump through hoops to support Magic at this point, but thought I'd point it out.

Hello ryan,

the issue with using it with MagiC and MiNT has been reported elsewhere, but it's also OK to report it here ;) I hope we can fix this one soon.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I was copying about 300mb of data from USB stick to SD card (with CE driver and Hddriver) using Kobold (in GEMDOS mode for all drives).

Card was set up into 8 256MB partitions. It got damaged by that copying somehow: first partition data is missing in action, other have strange damage (a lot of 1GB files with strange names, and other). I'm trying to recover on on PC.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:38 pm

There is some bug that has to do with the IKBD injector.

When using the injector, certain games using the ULS (Lemmings and populous for example, both from KLP) crash. They give me the following error:
- Fatal exception at PC $038561, any key to exit.

When not using the injector, the games run fine. Lemmings gives me this error 100% of the time. And without the injector it works like a charm; so it must be the IKBD injector.

Have you got any idea jookie? Are there different versions (older?) of the firmware that I could use to see if it also occurs?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 am

AdamK wrote:I was copying about 300mb of data from USB stick to SD card (with CE driver and Hddriver) using Kobold (in GEMDOS mode for all drives).

Card was set up into 8 256MB partitions. It got damaged by that copying somehow: first partition data is missing in action, other have strange damage (a lot of 1GB files with strange names, and other). I'm trying to recover on on PC.

Damn it... What TOS version you have? Can you try to reproduce the behavior by a sequence of steps?

wietze wrote:When using the injector, certain games using the ULS (Lemmings and populous for example, both from KLP) crash. They give me the following error:
- Fatal exception at PC $038561, any key to exit.

When not using the injector, the games run fine. Lemmings gives me this error 100% of the time. And without the injector it works like a charm; so it must be the IKBD injector.

OK, I'll make my ST work in low resolution, will try the games and see if I can spot the error...

wietze wrote:Have you got any idea jookie? Are there different versions (older?) of the firmware that I could use to see if it also occurs?

Reverting to older firmware would be a bit problem as there's no archive of older firmwares. But as nothing much changed in the IKBD emulation for a longer time, I guess it would do the same with the older firmware.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 am

Jookie: TOS 2.06. I'm not sure if I can reproduce that, I'll do some experiments and try.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Hello

My CosmosEx works fine except the SD-card reader. It has the latest updates and mainly runs on my 4 MB STE with TOS 1.62 and HDDriver 9.03.

However I experience problems with the SD-card reader since I purchased it (September 2014). In the beginning I thought it was a problem with my STE or other devices but I didn't find the cause(s).

I often get a message error from TOS saying data may be corrupted when I run an executable or load a file, especially when it is big enough (i.e. several dozens of KBs - I can't precisely say the limit)

What I tried:
- unplug all devices (USB, Ethernet), even the IKBD injector and the floppy cable, to have only the STE and the CosmosEx linked via ACSI cable
- use an external power supply instead of the STE internal one
- change SD-card (they work well on UltraSatan)
- change the ACSI cable
- use another Atari (I have another STE and a Mega STE)

When I reboot the STE with a SD card in the CosmosEx:
- Sometimes it loads HDDriver then CE_DD and it is ok
- Sometimes I get 4 bombs just after HDDriver
- Sometimes HDDriver loads but not CE_DD
- Sometimes nothing is loaded, the GEM desktop appears just with A: and B: drives
(I have HDDriver and CE_DD in C:\AUTO on all my SD cards)

When I plug the UltraSatan instead of the CosmosEx, everything is fine. The UltraSatan works very well with my STEs and my Mega STE, using the very same SD cards.

What else could I test?
Could it be a hardware problem in CosmosEx itself?
Any help would be appreciated, I really don't know where is the problem :shrug:

Thanks!
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 am

Hello Strider.

Strider wrote:My CosmosEx works fine except the SD-card reader. It has the latest updates and mainly runs on my 4 MB STE with TOS 1.62 and HDDriver 9.03.

However I experience problems with the SD-card reader since I purchased it (September 2014). In the beginning I thought it was a problem with my STE or other devices but I didn't find the cause(s).

Did you update the firmware since then? Last update on SD card operations was released on 2015-01-02, so if you didn't update since then, then you should do an update and see if it still happens.

Strider wrote:- Sometimes I get 4 bombs just after HDDriver
- Sometimes nothing is loaded, the GEM desktop appears just with A: and B: drives

The 1st (4 bombs) is caused by CE_DD driver and I think it happens on newer TOSes (>= TOS 1.6), the 2nd (not loading CE_DD) might be the 'cold reset issue' and also the 3rd might be the same as 2nd... They still need to be fixed.

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi Jookie

Jookie wrote:Did you update the firmware since then? Last update on SD card operations was released on 2015-01-02, so if you didn't update since then, then you should do an update and see if it still happens.

Yes I did it on Sunday. Now it works perfectly, it couldn't believe it! And that's not an April fool :wink:
No more problems while loading programs or big files.
No problem with direct-from-disk software such as GGN's DMA player.
I even enjoyed watching those STE demos pushing the hardware to its limits such as Drone by DHS.
It works like a charm :wink:

Jookie wrote:
Strider wrote:- Sometimes I get 4 bombs just after HDDriver

The 1st (4 bombs) is caused by CE_DD driver and I think it happens on newer TOSes (>= TOS 1.6), the 2nd (not loading CE_DD) might be the 'cold reset issue' and also the 3rd might be the same as 2nd... They still need to be fixed.

These bugs disappear too. Since yesterday I tried to reproduce them (hard/cold booting again and again, even with different SD cards) but everything loads perfectly. Note I use HDDriver 9.03.
My STE was running during some hours and I never saw bombs during the boot sequence.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 am

Strider wrote:Yes I did it on Sunday. Now it works perfectly, it couldn't believe it! And that's not an April fool :wink:

Great! That's wonderful! :)

Strider wrote:These bugs disappear too. Since yesterday I tried to reproduce them (hard/cold booting again and again, even with different SD cards) but everything loads perfectly. Note I use HDDriver 9.03.
My STE was running during some hours and I never saw bombs during the boot sequence.

This is weird, this shouldn't happen. I guess they (the bugs) are just hiding and will pop up later. So I guess they are still there and might need a fix... (but glad to hear that they didn't bother you for a while).

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello again.

Just updated today so i got the latest software i think.

Main App: 2014-12-21
Franz: 2014-12-21
Hans: 2015-03-25
Xilinx: 2015-03-01

I get three bombs on every cold boot, this is new.
After reset it usually boots fine.

Another new thing is that if i get an error while accessing something on a shared drive, i lose connection to the cosmosex entirely and i have to reboot.

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Jookie wrote:This is weird, this shouldn't happen. I guess they (the bugs) are just hiding and will pop up later. So I guess they are still there and might need a fix... (but glad to hear that they didn't bother you for a while).

Yes, I agree, the bugs couldn't disappear. Do you have more information about how the bugs happen?
I can make some tests to reproduce the bugs, as I know there is no hardware problem with my CosmosEx.
Moreover I will also test with my Mega STE (TOS 2.06).
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:40 pm

corpsicle wrote:I get three bombs on every cold boot, this is new.
After reset it usually boots fine.

Hello,

According to your other messages you're using an STE, right? Which TOS version?
Maybe this is due to the motherboard revision? My STE is a recent one, with integrated blitter.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Ok, i just checked and the copyright section says "89" at the end. Does that mean i have 1.04?
I actually have 2.06 i just havent installed them yet.
My roms are not in sockets so it would be a pita to change them.
But if this is why im having problems its worth it.

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 am

After a lot of sweat and frustration, i now have TOS 2.06 in my Atari 1040 ste. =)
I no longer get bombs when booting!

So i guess 1.04 is not very good with CosmosEx.

Still not getting any floppy image from the ftp to work.
I only tried two now but both get stuck.
Tried the first disk on the ftp, i get the first menu then select Sinbad, then black screen with white text showing me ide information, heads, cylinders ...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:58 am

wietze wrote:There is some bug that has to do with the IKBD injector.
When using the injector, certain games using the ULS (Lemmings and populous for example, both from KLP) crash.

This seems to be fixed in the latest release - Lemmings shouldn't crash anymore, and mouse in Mega-lo-mania seems to work (I didn't test this before the fix so I don't know in what part of the game the mouse got stuck). I didn't try the Populous, but if it's the same issue as with Lemmings, then it should be fine now.

There was some problem with reading the parameters when setting the maximum and current mouse coordinates in absolute coordinates mode which caused to return too high Y value as current mouse position which Lemmings apparently didn't like...

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Jookie wrote:
wietze wrote:There is some bug that has to do with the IKBD injector.
When using the injector, certain games using the ULS (Lemmings and populous for example, both from KLP) crash.

This seems to be fixed in the latest release - Lemmings shouldn't crash anymore, and mouse in Mega-lo-mania seems to work (I didn't test this before the fix so I don't know in what part of the game the mouse got stuck). I didn't try the Populous, but if it's the same issue as with Lemmings, then it should be fine now.

There was some problem with reading the parameters when setting the maximum and current mouse coordinates in absolute coordinates mode which caused to return too high Y value as current mouse position which Lemmings apparently didn't like...

I will check when I get home, Im stoked!

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Lemmings and Populous work here, so ti seems the issue is fixed. Thanks Jookie, thats wonderful!

Which version of Megalomania did you try, it doesnt seem to register mouseclick here (dbug version and some french cracked version); and thus not progressing further than the title screen. Which version did you use?

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”