CosmosEx TRANS/SDCARD firmware update

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

CosmosEx TRANS/SDCARD firmware update

Postby wietze » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:47 am

Jookie wrote:Hello, the issue of SD card being on ACSI bus before translated disk causing files not to be read from translated disk is now fixed, please update your firmware, test it and report if it works for you, too ;) (ce_conf -> Update software -> Update). Little mistake was made in Hans (the hard drive chip) firmware.

The latest version of the firmware makes it so that I can indeed read the contents from the TRANS drive, regardless whether or not I have an SDCARD on an ACSI bus before or after the TRANS ACSI bus.

However, the result is that in either situation the HDDRiver recognizes 2 partitions on the SDCARD (instead of giving CDEFGH at boot driver loading time it will give only CD). Neither of these paritions are readable in TOS (when clicked, they dont open, and not an error is given).

Inspecting the SDCard with the Uwe's HDDRUTIL still finds all the partitions on the disk; so they are still there.

I will see if I can get more specifics today.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CosmosEx TRANS/SDCARD firmware update

Postby Dal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 pm

*** Mod Note: Topic Moved. ***
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:37 pm

On the old firmware, when having CosmoEx ACSI configured as:

6 TRANS
7 SDCARD

With in 7:
SDCARD with a bunch of partitions, using HDDDriver, will upon booting:
- Start the CEDD
- Start the HDDriver
- Identify all the partitions on the SDCARD
- In TOS, all partitions are available: (C = mapped network drive TRANS, D-H are SDCARD)

When updating to the last firmware:

On the new firmware, upon booting:
- Start the CEDD
- Start the HDDriver
- Identify C and D partitions o the SDCARD
- In TOS, C is available (C= mapped network drive TRANS); when opening D: no error, but doesnt open, when opening E: `The drive you specified does not exist'

On the new firmware, when holding CONTROL, to skip CEDD driver to boot:
- CEDD skipped
- HDDriver is started, still only finds C and D
- In Tos, no drives available

Im not entirely sure if this has to do with HDDDriver, but I would expect HDDDriver to find all available partitions, when the driver is loaded at boot time. But when I do not start HDDDriver at boot time, it seems the partitions still can be enabled.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:46 am

I've made another fix to Hans firmware (2014-07-14), it was tested with HDDRIVER 9.0, and it worked OK. Please check if it works for you, too, and if there are no side effects.

About those 'C' and 'D' letters: HDDRIVER has a setting where you specify how many partitions it should reserve for each device additional to all partitions it finds. That means:
- if you have CE translated drive on ACSI ID lower than SD card, HDDRIVER finds this device, tries to read partition table from it, it finds 0 partitions, so it reserves 0+1 letters for this device -- you will get only letter C
- then you have SD card on ACSI ID higher than CE translated drive, HDDRIVER finds this device, it has 4 partitions, so it reserves 4+1 letters, and as the letter C has been reserved for the other device, the letters for SD card are now D,E,F,G,H
- with this setup you the drives C and H are just reserved letters, so they won't be accessible with HDDRIVER (and if you map your translated drive to 'C', then you can access 'C')

If the SD card is not present in the SD card slot (or when there was a problem with some ICD commands as a side effect of the previous fix) and the HDDRIVER can't read from this device, it reserves 0+1 letters for this device...

Anyway, now it should be OK. Please update, verify and report :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”