CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby Jookie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 am

alexh wrote:I am probably in the minorty here but I have a MegaSTe
What are the chances of making the PCB design flexible enough to be fitted into a MegaSTe to the internal ASCI port?

I'm not sure what difference it would make to the PCB design as I don't have Mega STE, but I guess it's doable, but would be easier to use a cable to connect to the internal ACSI port instead of fitting it directly (pcb-to-pcb through connectors).

dhedber, 1st1, dbsys, TheNameOfTheGame - the falcon support could be done, but that would require HW changes and some changes to the translated driver to support Falcon and related things, which would require a commited falcon developer for those software changes. But that would be a bit different version, for which I currently don't have spare time (still busy finishing this one), so maybe next year?

DarkLord wrote:Same goes for the STacy. I wonder if Alan H.'s adaptor cable that I use in my STacy
with the Ultrasatan would work okay with this device? That would be handy. :)

The ACSI cable didn't change since SatanDisk, so it will work.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 am

And about the promo video ;) I've found a guy - puppeteer freelancer - on fiverr.com, he made the puppet part, I've finished the video...

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:05 am

I also have registered, but registering is difficult as it does not accept a "-" (minus) in the domain name of the email adress. So "@t-online.de" is not possible, I had to use another, rarely used mail adress instead.

A SCSI version - which functions with the Falcon (and TT) also would be very nice!!!
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Bumzyman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Bumzyman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Registered my interest for one to support the cause.
Looks like another nice project.
:cheers:

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:51 pm

I have three ideas to enhance that device:

1. Printer redirection from Parallel port to USB attached printer
2. Printer redirection from Parallel port to LPR port on network
3. A SCSI (instead of DMA) version for the Atari Falcon and TT would be nice. Or you do like Gigafile from Wolfgang Förster, which is compatible to ACSI and SCSI in one device, using adapter connectors.

Will it also support USB devices attached to an USB hub?
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 pm

very good

nice one !!!! keep up the good work jookie if i can help with something let me know

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 am

I want one. In the words of Sean Connery on celebrity jeopardy "I'll take cosmo sex for 100 Alex"
SysOp: The St Guild BBS

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 am

It would be really interesting if it can be attached to all ST,Mega ST/e,TT and Falcon because it is a very complete device
Trying to learn...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:04 am

USB hubs are supported (linux supports that), but if you plan to have more devices through the USB, you should consider powering them through separately powered USB hub - you know, the limit on single USB port is 500 mA, and if you will power CosmosEx from your ST power supply, then you don't want to put too much on that internal power supply, too :)

Printer redirection (in ST software, not using parallel port of ST) could be done, but the connected USB / LPR printer should be then supported on Raspberry Pi.

SCSI version - I can do the hardware, firmware and software in the device, but the translated driver (for accessing network shared drives, and USB drives in translated mode) has to be changed for TT / Falcon by someone else, because I don't have these, plus I'm busy right now with the ST ACSI version, so maybe next year? (this is not a feature which can be added easily on the end of hardware development phase).

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

I'd probably be interested in a falcon version too. I guess it will support wifi too, right?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:59 pm

christos wrote:I guess it will support wifi too, right?

If you buy a supported USB-to-Wifi adapter, then yes, it should, all the needed support is there :)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Jookie wrote:
alexh wrote:I am probably in the minorty here but I have a MegaSTe
What are the chances of making the PCB design flexible enough to be fitted into a MegaSTe to the internal ACSI port?

I'm not sure what difference it would make to the PCB design as I don't have Mega STE, but I guess it's doable, but would be easier to use a cable to connect to the internal ACSI port instead of fitting it directly (pcb-to-pcb through connectors).

Presumably the RaspberryPi sits on the new PCB and it would be good if this could be measured and have screw holes so it can be placed at the MegaSTe VME blanking plate slot.

Having the ability to wire the ACSI to the internal MegaSTe's connector is fine. If there is anything I can do in terms of measurements etc. Just ask. I can print out a 1:1 layout and place it in my MegaSTe to see about sizes etc.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:31 pm

alexh wrote:Presumably the RaspberryPi sits on the new PCB and it would be good if this could be measured and have screw holes so it can be placed at the MegaSTe VME blanking plate slot.
Having the ability to wire the ACSI to the internal MegaSTe's connector is fine. If there is anything I can do in terms of measurements etc. Just ask. I can print out a 1:1 layout and place it in my MegaSTe to see about sizes etc.

If I would have dimensions of something that fits in the VME slot, I could create a different metal cover (in the shape of 'L') to fit it directly in that place. Is there some drawing of holes, dimensions, and so on somewhere? You can compare that VME slot with the current size of CosmosEx by using any floppy drive as a reference to see how much bigger / smaller it is.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Sounds very interesting. What connections will be necessary and will it ship with all necessary cabling? (My HxC didn't and it was pain in the a** to get the cabling done)

And: will it totally be a dropin replacement for an UltraSatan (which I still want to acquire some day)?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Arkemath
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Arkemath » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi,

Interested (like each time someone produces a new hardware for ST) !

Did a little advertising for it on Yaronet's Atari Forum :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Sounds very interesting. What connections will be necessary and will it ship with all necessary cabling? (My HxC didn't and it was pain in the a** to get the cabling done)

For ACSI connection you will need ACSI cable (the same as for SatanDisk or UltraSatan), this will be included in the package.
For floppy connection when using device inside of ST case you don't need anything, just plug out original floppy and plug in CosmosEx, so nothing is needed.
For floppy connection when using device outside of ST case you will need a special cable (well, only the ST external floppy connector is special on that cable), and I'm not able to buy those, so either you will make one scratch, get one from some place (some store which still might have them? or cut it off some old external atari floppy?), or just make the internal floppy cable longer and drag it out of the ST case.

simonsunnyboy wrote:And: will it totally be a dropin replacement for an UltraSatan?

Yes, it supports the same mode as UltraSatan (this means accessing directly sectors of attached storage), and it supports a different media access mode as well..

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm

...AND its Got a Friendily name . not evil like SaTaN
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:59 pm

BTW, does it come in black? :lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

unholy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby unholy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:25 pm

charles wrote:...AND its Got a Friendily name . not evil like SaTaN

That's the problem, right there. Way too bland. If it was called MegaSatan, I'd totally be interested.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 am

charles wrote:...AND its Got a Friendily name . not evil like SaTaN

unholy wrote:That's the problem, right there. Way too bland. If it was called MegaSatan, I'd totally be interested.

:D With UltraSatan I received a couple of complaints about the name from few christian atari fellows, so this one doesn't have 'Satan' in the name but 'sex' if you read it differently ;) But you know, you can't satisfy all the people at the same time...

DarkLord wrote:BTW, does it come in black?

Well, it could... It could come in different colors, although it would complicate things a bit, but it's possible. Maybe we could do a poll later about the color...

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:43 am

Jookie wrote:Well, it could... It could come in different colors, although it would complicate things a bit, but it's possible. Maybe we could do a poll later about the color...

Jookie, I was actually only semi-serious about that question. If I needed to, I'm sure
I could paint the faceplate myself. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:34 am

All in all this sounds like I could use all the cabling which I have, ACSI cable from the Satandisk and floppy extension cabling from the HxC.

I'm very tempted now :)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Carl_R
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Carl_R » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 am

Registered! If it should go in the VME bus on the MegaSTE then it would be nice if it also featured an integrated graphics card... just wishful thinking.
Atari Mega STE, 4mb, 1GB HDD, TOS 2.06
Atari 1040STFM, 1mb, TOS 1.02

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Registered as well. Cool idea!

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10