CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby dhedberg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I just googled D-SUB 19 and found that a company named ABRA in Canada is selling D-SUB 19 female and male connectors for $0.69 a piece and plastic hoods for $0.49. Has anyone looked into buying from them? They only ship to Canada/U.S.

http://www.abra-electronics.com/product ... -Pins.html
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 pm

dhedberg wrote:I just googled D-SUB 19 and found that a company named ABRA in Canada is selling D-SUB 19 female and male connectors for $0.69 a piece and plastic hoods for $0.49. Has anyone looked into buying from them? They only ship to Canada/U.S.

Thank you for the tip, I've just e-mailed them to see if they have them in stock... I do have a family in Canada, so I might route the package through them if they have the connectors...

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 am

If you guys need it, I can help with ordering the db19 connectors as well.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:13 am

Hey there. I have a couple of questions about this new box that I don't think that I'm getting quite clear. Keep in mind that I own a 520 with an external floppy drive.

1. This box is replacing the Ultrasatan only that its using USB thumb drive instead of a SDcard, is that correct?
2. The thumbdrive will work as a virtual floppy drive, however there is a port on the back to plug in a (real PC) floppy drive on the back. One like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6821121001

How can we power it? And since this box is connected to my ACSI port, how will my Atari read the disk? Or is that what you were referring to when you said we would have to get creative to create our own cable?
3. Should a USB mouse work through this box?

Thats really about all I've got. This box sounds very exciting. Thanks.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 am

Sowden wrote:1. This box is replacing the Ultrasatan only that its using USB thumb drive instead of a SDcard, is that correct?

Yes, but this box is not only a hard drive (UltraSatan) replacement, but also:
- network drive (use folders shared from your PC under TOS)
- floppy drive emulator (use disk images to view demos, play games, and more)
- keyboard / mouse / joystick replacement
- network card (software for this still has to be done)
..although I'm not sure how much you will be able to do with 520 ST, as it has only 512 kB or RAM.

Sowden wrote:2. The thumbdrive will work as a virtual floppy drive, however there is a port on the back to plug in a (real PC) floppy drive on the back. One like this?

The connected flash drive will work as a storage, that means as your hard disk space and floppy disk image space. When you want to use the device as hard disk and floppy emulator, then you have to connect both floppy and ACSI cables. For connecting it together with normal floppy drive you should use either flat cable with slots for 2 floppy drives, or have one connected internally (on the flat cable), and having one externally (using the external floppy connector). If you have only external drive, then both could be connected externally, but there isn't a cable for that at this moment...

Sowden wrote:How can we power it?

When used internally (in the place of original floppy drive), use the power cable from the floppy drive.
When used externally, then use a power supply with USB cable (cell phone charger?)

Sowden wrote:And since this box is connected to my ACSI port, how will my Atari read the disk? Or is that what you were referring to when you said we would have to get creative to create our own cable?

The hard drive will be accessed through ACSI connector, the floppy drive will be accessed through floppy connector.

The creativity with the cables comes in, when you want to connect both ACSI and floppy ports, because:
- on your ST there is only external ACSI connector and the flat cable connector for floppy is only internal
- so when you use CE externally, you will have to connect somehow to the internal floppy port
- and when you use CE internally, then you have to connect somehow to the external ACSI port

There is this external floppy connector on your ST, but the situation with it is the same as with the ACSI port - the connector is now obsolete and thus hard to get. You still could buy this external floppy connector from somewhere, but I'm having hard times getting those ACSI port connectors, so I'm leaving that to users and for me I'll leave it for later...

Sowden wrote:3. Should a USB mouse work through this box?

Yes, USB mouse, keyboard and joysticks are supported, you will have to connect one more cable if you want to use it, and it goes to the place where the current ST keyboard is connected, and again - this connector is only internal on most of Atari ST models...

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 am

Hey man. Thanks for your response. First off, oh yeah, I know this box is more than just a pretty face :-) I'm really looking forward to having a network between my Atari and my PC. And thanks for confirming the mouse support. I discovered that my real Atari mouse is broken and I have to use Control+Arrow keys until I find a solution.

Now we come to the floppy drive support. I'm not sure what can be done for me with my 520. Hard drive support should be taken care of sense your box will come with a cable and there is an external ACSI port on the back of my machine. But I think I'm sunk with a PC floppy drive. You see, my machine only has a 14 pin DIN connection on the back. There is no internal slot for a disk drive in my computer. And there is no internal floppy cable socket on the motherboard. So I would have to use the floppy emulator, which isn't a bad thing. In fact thats great. Thanks for writing back to me. Are you planning on making any video demonstrations to show how the machine works? Thanks man.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:37 am

Sowden wrote:Are you planning on making any video demonstrations to show how the machine works?

Yes, the plan is to make few videos to show what can be done with the device, but they will be made in few weeks as I'm now busy with some last hardware changes. The videos will be available before I offer the devices to sale so people would get the idea what can be done...

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:40 am

Sorry to bother you about the possibility of a SCSI version for the Falcon030 again, but the more I read about the CosmosEx, the more I want it for my Falcon030 machines. You mentioned some months ago that you would consider making a SCSI version after the ACSI version was finished. Is this still something you're considering?

Thanks,
Daniel

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 am

dhedberg wrote:Sorry to bother you...

Don't worry, it's OK :)

dhedberg wrote:You mentioned some months ago that you would consider making a SCSI version after the ACSI version was finished. Is this still something you're considering?

I think that making the SCSI version isn't that difficult and it's still a thing I could do when I finish this version, but I'm concerned about the speed of SCSI version - Raspberry Pi and MCU used in CosmosEx are good enough for ACSI (~ 1 MB/s), but Falcon and TT users might want higher speeds for SCSI versions, and that wouldn't be that easy to do with this setup. Making SCSI version with transfer speed of ~ 1 MS/s should be easy, but that might not satisfy them... And doing a major remake to gain speed would take more months.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:33 am

I think Sowden was possible after a 1.44 floppy support with the 'Pc drive' comment? If the logic could be put on the board for that? Or even perhaps support of 1.44 USB floppy obviously we still have the issue of non standard floppy images .

Daniel Perhaps you could use one of these connected to the IDE http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gembird-Inter ... 3a80fbc03d ?

Or perhaps you are after USB/Ethernet connections?

I guess it would mean special driver in Cubase, but how about USB controllers? or MIDI boxes like an Emagic MT4

Cheers
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:05 am

I have a question for the crowd - do you want also a normal SD card slot on the device, so you could use the SD card just like in UltraSatan, and you wouldn't have to go through USB and and a card reader?

I know that nativ would, so I wonder if there are more people interested in that...

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 am

Jookie wrote:
dhedberg wrote:You mentioned some months ago that you would consider making a SCSI version after the ACSI version was finished. Is this still something you're considering?

I think that making the SCSI version isn't that difficult and it's still a thing I could do when I finish this version, but I'm concerned about the speed of SCSI version - Raspberry Pi and MCU used in CosmosEx are good enough for ACSI (~ 1 MB/s), but Falcon and TT users might want higher speeds for SCSI versions, and that wouldn't be that easy to do with this setup. Making SCSI version with transfer speed of ~ 1 MS/s should be easy, but that might not satisfy them... And doing a major remake to gain speed would take more months.

Higher speeds would of course be great, but if it's 1MB/s or no CosmosEx at all, I think most people would be absolutely OK with 1MB/s. The CosmosEx is so much more. I only achieve network speeds of about 10kB/s with the cartridge EtherNEC adapter today, so the CosmosEx would most likely be a great improvement in that sense, not to mention the ability to use USB devices!

But of course, I can only speak for myself, so please all Falcon030 owners, make sure you let Jookie know you want a CosmosEx for your Falcon030 no matter what! :wink:

Thanks,
Daniel

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 am

Jookie wrote:I have a question for the crowd - do you want also a normal SD card slot on the device, so you could use the SD card just like in UltraSatan, and you wouldn't have to go through USB and and a card reader?
I know that nativ would, so I wonder if there are more people interested in that...

I'd certainly find that useful!

--Daniel

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

Jookie wrote:I have a question for the crowd - do you want also a normal SD card slot on the device, so you could use the SD card just like in UltraSatan, and you wouldn't have to go through USB and and a card reader?

yes we want also SD card slot :)
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

Of course more features is always good to take and this would allow to use same SD cards used for UltraSatan but for me it is not a big deal.

This bring a question: Nowadays all USB cards have huge capacity. How is this handled by CosmosEx (for example multiple partitions on Atari but only one partition on PC side?) ???
It was possible to partition SD card (using HP SW) in order to have multiple partitions on Atari but this was not very easy/clean?!

f030
Atari User
Atari User

Postby f030 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 am

must have :)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am

Honestly, without the card slot, I'm probably not going to purchase one.

Thanks!
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't see why. USB->microSD converters are a dime a dozen.

(I have more issues having to buy full size SD cards for things like the HxC, Raspberry Pi etc when all my other cards are micro-SD due to their use in mobiles)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:This bring a question: Nowadays all USB cards have huge capacity. How is this handled by CosmosEx (for example multiple partitions on Atari but only one partition on PC side?) ???
It was possible to partition SD card (using HP SW) in order to have multiple partitions on Atari but this was not very easy/clean?!

Well... If you use some media over USB in native mode, or SD card through the SD card slot (where only native mode is supported), then whatever you do on your Atari to partition the card will be used on your Atari (and on PC, if you will set it up as TOS/DOS compatible) - in this mode only raw sectors are sent to Atari, so all the partitions and everything is handled in Atari.

If you use some media over USB in translated mode, the media will be mounted in Raspberry Pi, and the driver will make this media available as TOS drive letter, and in this case there shouldn't be a limitation on the partition size (although there might be some TOS limitations on how many directory items you might have in a single folder, or how deep can you dive in the directory structure). If you will be able to partition this media on PC with more partition than just one, these partitions will be accessible through more TOS drive letters, and the same of size / count / depth limitations apply as in the previous (single partition) case.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:25 pm

troed wrote:

I don't see why. USB->microSD converters are a dime a dozen.

That was my first opinion too. But some people feel it differently, so I would rather please them ;) The other thing is that there are only 2 USB connectors on the device, and if you would use some USB media in one of them, then this leaves you with only 1 free USB connector, so this extra SD slot might help a bit with this.

troed wrote:I have more issues having to buy full size SD cards for things like the HxC, Raspberry Pi etc when all my other cards are micro-SD due to their use in mobiles

Damn, are those full-size SD cards now harder to get? I didn't notice this trend (yet), but having only micro-SD slot would make the use of full size SD cards impossible (but you can always go from micro-SD to full size SD with a convertor).

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:47 pm

I think converters will be around for some time yet. For the extra few pennies, why not throw in a converter as well?

I'd prefer to have a dedicated SD slot so I don't have one USB permanently lost to an SD card reader.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Jookie wrote:Damn, are those full-size SD cards now harder to get?

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I _have_ lots of spare mSD cards due to always upgrading the mobiles to bigger sizes - but I need to buy full size SD cards for devices that use them :)

(I could of course buy converters instead - although I seem to recall having read that the converters might cause issues. Don't see why since they should be completely mechanical)

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm

troed wrote:I don't see why. USB->microSD converters are a dime a dozen.

I have SatanDisk and UltraSatan, and with SD card slot in CosmosEx I could easily swap data between my ST, MSTE and TT
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm

SD card slot is certainly a must, for easy reuse of files between STs with CosmosEx and others without.

Regarding micorSD cards...sofar all micro cards i have bought here in Germany came with an adapter to full SD format. I prefer the big format as those small cards are easier to loose when swapping them around for data transfers but thsi is just an opinion.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:13 am

I know I'm in the minority, but as a new Mega STe owner, I don't have an ultrasatan or anything else yet, so the SD card doesn't matter to me. In fact I am holding off on buying anything because it seems like the CosmosEx is exactly what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”