CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby jcarvalho » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Solution for this, I figured it out :)
First of all, boot the CE without any SD card, and configure it like I did for example.
Reboot
Prepare a floppy like in this tutorial http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=306
Boot up machine and CE. AFTER boot insert the SD Card and continue following Jookie's awsome tutorial to format and partition card. Install boot program and you are ready to go.
I just dont know how to use a USB pen drive to transfer files and how to change the partitions on SD Card (following the tutorial) to be direct access in Windows.
To transfer files from Windows to SDCard I use this program:
drimg132.rar

Hello!
When I connect the CosmosEX AND and an SD Card I got this screen on boot (blank SD FAT formated)
1.JPG

It only boots with SD card disconnect see picture PLEASE NOTE: The blue led only flashs once and goes OFF, could be damaged??
2.JPG

Look at my settings. What is wrong? My atari is an STE 1040 with 4MB
3.JPG

4.JPG

Thanks!
Jorge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jcarvalho on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello my friend! Not stupid question!! But a good question. I powerd my CE with an usb charger rated 1000mA and connected on external ACSI port... Not much success using the SD card but at least it boots
Arkemath wrote:I still haven't had the time to try it... anyway, I have already some stupid questions !

Is it possible to only plug it on ASCI and not on floppy cable ? (or floppy only and not ACSI)

Knowing that there is a micro/mini/Idunno USB port probably for power supply, do I still have to plug the power supply from the floppy disk ?

Well, that's all :)

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Floppy Drive emulation

Postby jcarvalho » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 am

Anyone got lucky to insert in slots the ST images and running those with CE connected externally? If so, a little help would be welcome... I can put the ST images on slots, the button can swap between images, but when I click on floppy drive icon the no disk error windows shows up. I have floppy emulation enabled on config tool and tried with id 0 and id 1 with no luck. I have connected the real floppy on ste

Thanks!
Jorge

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 am

But you do have the floppy connector of CosmosEx connected to Atari, right? Someone here thought that if you connect acsi cable, then even floppy can work through that, but no - you have to connect also the floppy connector if you want to use floppy.

(Still on vacation, replying only sometimes)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:30 pm

But you do have the floppy connector of CosmosEx connected to Atari, right? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:
I only connected externally :( Now I know what I am doing wrong
Have a nice vacations Jookie, and thanks for the tip!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Jookie wrote:But you do have the floppy connector of CosmosEx connected to Atari, right? Someone here thought that if you connect acsi cable, then even floppy can work through that, but no - you have to connect also the floppy connector if you want to use floppy.

(Still on vacation, replying only sometimes)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

stokowski
Atarian
Atarian

Postby stokowski » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello,
I have received my CosmosEX (CE) and have ordered a suitable power-supply with mini-usb. I will use this nice gem outside of the ST connected via ACSI-Port. To use it as floppy-replacment, you must use - as I understood - a connector-cable floppy-out ST (Drive B) and the CE. Does anybody have a suitable cable? Is it possible to use the board of an old Atari SF 354 floppy drive and the standard Atari floppy cable as a substitute? The board would not be powered, as the CE needs the mini-usb power-supply. Do you think, it will work? I can test this, when my power-supply has arrived.

Greetings,
stokowski

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 pm

stokowski wrote:Hello,
I have received my CosmosEX (CE) and have ordered a suitable power-supply with mini-usb. I will use this nice gem outside of the ST connected via ACSI-Port. To use it as floppy-replacment, you must use - as I understood - a connector-cable floppy-out ST (Drive B) and the CE. Does anybody have a suitable cable? Is it possible to use the board of an old Atari SF 354 floppy drive and the standard Atari floppy cable as a substitute? The board would not be powered, as the CE needs the mini-usb power-supply. Do you think, it will work? I can test this, when my power-supply has arrived.

Greetings,
stokowski

What an awesome idea, modding a SF354 floppy drive and putting in the CE! Who uses a single sided drive anyway 8)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 am

stokowski wrote:Is it possible to use the board of an old Atari SF 354 floppy drive and the standard Atari floppy cable as a substitute? The board would not be powered, as the CE needs the mini-usb power-supply. Do you think, it will work? I can test this, when my power-supply has arrived.

If you remove original drive electronics and replace it with CosmosEx then it should work - with correct wiring of the floppy signals and with the ACSI port somehow taken out of the box...

atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Postby atariancom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Cyprian wrote:actually, for me WiFi support is a lot more than 'nice to have'
My router is in another room therefore I would avoid a return to the Ethernet cable.

Well I use a nifty device for ethernet to go wireless, to enable to go wireless. Do an eBay search for buffalo 300n. I use one for falcon in a back bedroom and another for clients pc's. It allows you to plug two ethernets and logs into your wireless router.

Steve

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Postby DyLucke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

Hello there.

Jookie, where can i pay for one of your devices?
I registered my interest time ago on your page.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 am

DyLucke wrote:Jookie, where can i pay for one of your devices?
I registered my interest time ago on your page.

Hello, please give me a week of time for this one, I'll try to fix some issues first, and then I'll get back to distributing remaining devices...

Jookie

DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Postby DyLucke » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 pm

No problem Jookie.
I'll be keeping an eye for news here.

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi. I read the whole thread.
Found out about the CosmosEx earlier (i guess i need to visit this forum at least once in a while!), and i must say this is pretty amazing and wonderful. :)

I have a few questions.

So, from what i understood i can connect either to the ACSI external port like a HDD and in this case i won't be able to use the floppy emulator to load .ST images, or i could connect it internally, use the IKB injector for USB keyboard/mouse/pads, but... if i connect it internally i understand i could use the floppy emulator to load floppy images, but then i could not use the SD card for instance like a HDD? Not even like a "big floppy disk"? This is the thing i'm not sure about, as i've never used any US or other similar devices and this one is pretty new, i'm a bit clueless.

And also i just got a new 520 STe with 4mb of ram and 2.06 TOS (my old beloved STe had a defective mouse port i didn't know how to fix)... And i'm wondering about a few things. I guess most games that used to boot directly wouldn't work then from an (emulated) HDD? Am I right? But softwares like maxYMiser or musicmon, and others trackers/MIDI softwares should be able to be ran from an hdd? Okay it's not only CosmosEx questions, but i haven't really used an ST since i was a kid and only getting back to it now.

If anybody could clarify those things for me, that would be great. :) Thanks!

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 am

Hi and welcome :)

Yes you can still use the SD card if the device is installed internally. ACSI-cable is long enough for that too.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Automation disks and CosmosEx

Postby jcarvalho » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 am

Hi all, need some help here. I "loaded" several automation games images to CE with the same result, done the CTRL+ALT+del to reboot and the game started to load BUT is "cutted off" by the screen about the hddriver loading. After clicking on A: icon I try to run the prog on the AUTO folder. It starts up, I select the game but it wont load, it goes to the desktop again. What I am doing wrong? My system is an 1040STFM, Rainbow TOS. Is there a way of not showing the driver info on boot to let the "floppy" continue to load the program menu?

Many thanks for any kind help, this problem is driving me nuts!
Jorge

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Automation disks and CosmosEx

Postby wietze » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 am

jcarvalho wrote:Hi all, need some help here. I "loaded" several automation games images to CE with the same result, done the CTRL+ALT+del to reboot and the game started to load BUT is "cutted off" by the screen about the hddriver loading. After clicking on A: icon I try to run the prog on the AUTO folder. It starts up, I select the game but it wont load, it goes to the desktop again. What I am doing wrong? My system is an 1040STFM, Rainbow TOS. Is there a way of not showing the driver info on boot to let the "floppy" continue to load the program menu?

Jorge

Keep alt pressed.

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 am

wietze wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:Hi all, need some help here. I "loaded" several automation games images to CE with the same result, done the CTRL+ALT+del to reboot and the game started to load BUT is "cutted off" by the screen about the hddriver loading. After clicking on A: icon I try to run the prog on the AUTO folder. It starts up, I select the game but it wont load, it goes to the desktop again. What I am doing wrong? My system is an 1040STFM, Rainbow TOS. Is there a way of not showing the driver info on boot to let the "floppy" continue to load the program menu?

Jorge

Keep alt pressed.

Didn't worked... A message appears: "ALT pressed, skipping"
Tryed to load the prog on AUTO folder, it loads but when selecting game it returns to desktop

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 am

jcarvalho wrote:
wietze wrote:

Jorge

Keep alt pressed.

Didn't worked... A message appears: "ALT pressed, skipping"
Tryed to load the prog on AUTO folder, it loads but when selecting game it returns to desktop

Try and retry. It should work eventually. It sometimes skips here as well.

widower2008
Atarian
Atarian

Postby widower2008 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 am

Marakatti wrote:Hi and welcome :)

Yes you can still use the SD card if the device is installed internally. ACSI-cable is long enough for that too.

For a Mega ST 2 this is not the case - can only connect to the floppy cable internally, the ACSI cable is about 10cm too short for both to connect. Also with mine I still cannot use the keyboard injector but need to rebuild my Pi SD card as I cannot see it at all on the Atari at the moment! Plus getting the SD card out is proving very tricky!
Atari mega ST2, Atari 520STe 4MB(not working!), CosmosEx

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:00 pm

I received mine today. Thank you Jookie for sending it so fast :wink:
Now it is time to make it working with my STE.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 pm

New version of my CosmosEx user's guide available here viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999&p=259234#p259234

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ryan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:18 am

widower2008 wrote:
Marakatti wrote:Hi and welcome :)

For a Mega ST 2 this is not the case - can only connect to the floppy cable internally, the ACSI cable is about 10cm too short for both to connect. Also with mine I still cannot use the keyboard injector but need to rebuild my Pi SD card as I cannot see it at all on the Atari at the moment! Plus getting the SD card out is proving very tricky!

You probably don't have to take the SD card out. Just hook your CE up independently to HDMI display, USB keyboard, and wired ethernet. Boot it up and log in as root/ce. cd to /ce (I think, off the top of my head.) rm settings/*. Then ./ce_update.sh.

DAHstra
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby DAHstra » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:05 am

rian_ata wrote:
stokowski wrote:Hello,

Greetings,
stokowski

What an awesome idea, modding a SF354 floppy drive and putting in the CE! Who uses a single sided drive anyway 8)

I'm also starting in on this late. I don't want to remove my floppy drive. I still use it. I want to use the drive "B" spot in the back. Or what about the card reader on the side or even the midi or joystick ports. I'm not a programmer or an engineer, just an enthusiast. :)

If a less invasive device is produced, I'd totally get one!

Jamison
dahstra.atari.org
"Feel the future. Speak the present. Know the past."

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:20 am

look here viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26999
all is explained :)
usage of SF354 or plain cable ...

Social Media