CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby DarkLord » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Er...I'm using an internal ACSI cable with the Ultrasatan in my STacy right now.

Courtesy of Alan H. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Beej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Beej » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:56 pm

DarkLord wrote:Er...I'm using an internal ACSI cable with the Ultrasatan in my STacy right now.

Courtesy of Alan H. :)

I put SatanDisk on a Mega's internal bus. Fortunately the pinout for both the SatanDisk and the Mega's internal ASCI bus was easy to find and I just made a cable for it.

I can do the same for the STacy if the info is available. It may be the same connection/pin-out that is in the Mega?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 am

I've created 2 pages of manual (more to come later) which might be interesting for all of you:

IKBD injector - see which you need to order and how does it connect to your ST:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=417

Configuration of CosmosEx device using the config tool:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=431

attle
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby attle » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 am

Extremely impressive! Can't wait to try it out. :D

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby galax » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:50 pm

It looks like the sandwich IKBD injector only supports models with the joystick/mouse ports on the keyboard. The earlier 520ST and STM had a bigger connector which sent all of the joystick/mouse signals to the IKBD, so that it could encode and send them back (suddenly putting the joystick/mouse connectors on the keyboard seems sensible). It would be pretty trivial for a user to adapt the IKBD injector to these earlier models, but it might be good to be clear that they won't work out of the box.

With bitcoin, there are transaction fees to convert to and from a hard currency, for the seller and buyer (if the buyer doesn't already have bitcoins). Also the value of bitcoins is quite volatile, so as a seller you'd want to update the bitcoin price regularly, and avoid keeping money in bitcoins for any length of time as you could lose (or gain) on the fluctuating value.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Jookie wrote:I've created 2 pages of manual (more to come later) which might be interesting for all of you:

IKBD injector - see which you need to order and how does it connect to your ST:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=417

Configuration of CosmosEx device using the config tool:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=431

That looks wonderful Jookie. A question I cannot keep from asking is the following:

- Does the samba/cifs/windows filesystem function allow for userbased authentication? Having an anonymous public read/write share makes me anxious :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:14 am

galax wrote:It looks like the sandwich IKBD injector only supports models with the joystick/mouse ports on the keyboard. The earlier 520ST and STM had a bigger connector which sent all of the joystick/mouse signals to the IKBD, so that it could encode and send them back (suddenly putting the joystick/mouse connectors on the keyboard seems sensible). It would be pretty trivial for a user to adapt the IKBD injector to these earlier models, but it might be good to be clear that they won't work out of the box.

Damn, I didn't know that... I will have to make another type of injector.

wietze wrote:Does the samba/cifs/windows filesystem function allow for userbased authentication? Having an anonymous public read/write share makes me anxious :)

Not yet - it will be added later. For my setup I don't feel bad about anonymous public R/W access as I'm on my private network at home, so nobody should be able to do any harm.

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Jookie, I surely will buy your brilliant device! Just one question: could it be possible to order a single CosmosEx with two different IKBD injectors, so that I could use alternatively a Mega and a "keyboarded" ST?
At the moment I have a Mega ST 2, but I would take the chance to grab a 1040STE in the future.
Thanks!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:02 am

SerialSinger wrote:could it be possible to order a single CosmosEx with two different IKBD injectors, so that I could use alternatively a Mega and a "keyboarded" ST?

I didn't expect that people would want both types of injectors :) but as you're not the only one who is asking, I changed the buyer's page so you can now select how many of which injectors you want, and their count can exceed the count of ordered devices, but for those extra devices there is a charge or 2 Euro each...

I hope that now it's not confusing - you will see two rows with injectors of price 0 (used just to display the count of them), and then another line with payment for extra injectors of price 2 Euro (when you order more injectors than devices).

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:07 am

jcarvalho wrote:Hi!!! Can I change my order to only CosmosEx? I will prefer the change if a standard PI without any changes do the job. Here, I can get the latest model for about 39€/piece that is cheaper than the one sold in bundle... Thanks for the reply! I am going to feed my paypal acount to pay the gadget since I entered on pre-order change!
Cheers,
Jorge

I've just paid via bank transfer and I was charged 5.5% fee
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:32 am

Cyprian wrote:I've just paid via bank transfer and I was charged 5.5% fee

Unfortunately, yes... :( From what I've read on Wikipedia, it seems that the lower / zero fee is only when the local currency is also Euro, that means that some countries in Europe will have these fees and some don't...

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Doh, second batch for me. Can't wait! :)

greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby greatguy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:21 pm

First batch for me, but I cannot access your site from the hotel network here in Turkey were im spending my vacation. :( I'll pay as soon as Im back in Sweden.
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Cyprian wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:Hi!!! Can I change my order to only CosmosEx? I will prefer the change if a standard PI without any changes do the job. Here, I can get the latest model for about 39€/piece that is cheaper than the one sold in bundle... Thanks for the reply! I am going to feed my paypal acount to pay the gadget since I entered on pre-order change!
Cheers,
Jorge

I've just paid via bank transfer and I was charged 5.5% fee

When are the first batch payments planned for? more or less
Trying to learn...

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm

I am confused as well now. Should I already pay (should not be a problem), but as far as I remember I didn't receive an email for instance with the payment details... I did get the Cosmos Ex - second mass mail.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:16 am

qq1975b wrote:When are the first batch payments planned for? more or less

rian_ata wrote:I am confused as well now. Should I already pay (should not be a problem), but as far as I remember I didn't receive an email for instance with the payment details... I did get the Cosmos Ex - second mass mail.

I'm still testing and flashing the devices, so to avoid the situation where you pay and you have to wait another week before the device will be sent, I've set to 'able to pay' status and sent an 'payment request' e-mail only to the first 22 people. Now that I got further in testing and flashing, I've set the status and sent e-mail to another 27 people. During the weekend I plan to test and flash the rest of the devices, so I guess the remaining people from the first batch will be contacted on sunday or monday...

Once your account is set to 'able to pay' state, a 'Pay for order' button will appear in your menu when you log in, that contains all the information needed for payment.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am

I'm having lots of Cosmo-sex :)

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 am

I've paid for mine via Paypal. Really looking forward to playing with this, pity my ST is in storage at the moment due to on-going house renovations!

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 am

Awww nice! Im eagerly awaiting mine.

Arkemath
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Arkemath » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi,

Paid using Paypal.

I might take it to the RetroGaming Convention in November in France, and maybe do a little presentation of it.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Ditto - paid via Paypal.

So Alex, you've already got yours? First impressions please! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm

A question that popped into my mind. Is the sdcard image also available from your website Jookie? It would be nice incase the sdcard itself gets borked.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 am

wietze wrote:A question that popped into my mind. Is the sdcard image also available from your website Jookie? It would be nice incase the sdcard itself gets borked.

Not yet, but it will be... All the stuff is still in development (sources, images, and so on), so I'm lazy to keep it updated all the time on the web, so I'll wait with that few weeks until I do all the stuff planned and fix the stuff reported, and then upload all the stuff to web...

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:50 am

Does this mean the SDCard image currently supplied will need to be updated in the future? I hadn't really thought about that.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 pm

ely wrote:Does this mean the SDCard image currently supplied will need to be updated in the future? I hadn't really thought about that.

Well, id nothing goes wrong, then it won't be needed, hopefully the software updates will be enough. But if something would be missing in that linux (some joystick / keyboard / wifi / ???) support would be missing and you would want to use that, then you might need to update it. Currently the tested USB mouse and joystick work, I didn't test the wifi yet but the support for wifi should be there... You also might not need things like wifi, so you might not need to update the image anyway... So, it depends...

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”