MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby toromand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Can you record a video with such sound? It looks weird..

Here you go, the volume on TV is pretty high (you can say by the sound of the keyboard click)
https://youtu.be/qfZodv24XTk

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Is it only in ZX core?
Some cores provide beeper output which state is varying and can be left at some level. Normally in analog audio due to capacitors, DC goes to 0 quickly if there are no changes in audio. In digital signals the level will be kept indefinite time. So i guess, this is a reaction of your TV to DC in audio..
Currently i cannot eliminate DC. I'm looking for solution. May be some time later i will find the way to emulate the capacitor in FPGA.

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Postby toromand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:46 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Is it only in ZX core?
Some cores provide beeper output which state is varying and can be left at some level. Normally in analog audio due to capacitors, DC goes to 0 quickly if there are no changes in audio. In digital signals the level will be kept indefinite time. So i guess, this is a reaction of your TV to DC in audio..
Currently i cannot eliminate DC. I'm looking for solution. May be some time later i will find the way to emulate the capacitor in FPGA.

I have noticed it on zxspectrum core only (at least it was obvious). I'm still waiting for the PCBs for the memory module to be able to load and test all the cores properly.

bernouilli
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bernouilli » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:32 pm

How about having only one pcb for both the connectors (vga, buttons and optical) and the sdram? The pcb can have holes to access the arduino connector beneath or it might be better to have itself an arduino connector on it that plugs into the arduino connector in the mister.

alfishe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alfishe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:41 pm

bernouilli wrote:How about having only one pcb for both the connectors (vga, buttons and optical) and the sdram? The pcb can have holes to access the arduino connector beneath or it might be better to have itself an arduino connector on it that plugs into the arduino connector in the mister.

This is like 100th time when this question is asked =) for the duration of development and stabilization it's much more beneficial to have modular design and separate boards. Once hardware design finalized - it's possible to create one biggy expansions board.
But don't forget about a fact - detaching two boards connected with 2x40 + arduino connectors is not an easy thing.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

bernouilli wrote:How about having only one pcb for both the connectors (vga, buttons and optical) and the sdram?

I don't see a benefit from single board.
It's easier to convince some one to solder a small SDRAM board with couple of components and sell it, than big board where you have to solder ~50 components. SDRAM board is even cheaper in the way it is now.
SDRAM board is required board, while I/O board is kind of optional and can be soldered even on proto board. So, it's more wise to require a small cheaper board than big and more expensive one.

bernouilli
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bernouilli » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 pm

I guess you're both right, even though in my case the expansion board is mandatory for the original video output. And with so many connectors, it would be very hard to insert this board in the first place.

udo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby udo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi,

today I tried to clone the git of the Amiga-Core and failed with this message:

$ git clone https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig-AGA_MiSTer.git
Klone nach 'Minimig-AGA_MiSTer' ...
remote: Counting objects: 5626, done.
remote: Total 5626 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 5626
Empfange Objekte: 100% (5626/5626), 39.98 MiB | 583.00 KiB/s, Fertig.
Löse Unterschiede auf: 100% (3355/3355), Fertig.
warning: Externer HEAD bezieht sich auf eine nicht existierende Referenz und kann nicht ausgecheckt werden.

I am not a Git expert, so maybe I am doing something wrong here. But the ofter Cores I tried to clone in the same way did succeed.
Downloading the Amiga-Core Zip-Archive did succeed too.

NegSol
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby NegSol » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Sorry - I am no Git pro myself - I used the zip download too. I was able to compile the Menu and the NES core so far (that is all I tested so far besides small test cores by me). The thing one has to come to grips with is the whole QSYS stuff that is needed. Maybe that has to do with the missing header reference your log file was taking about. These references could be the QSYS stuff not saved on github (because of licence issues...).
Anyhow, the sources are complete IMHO.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 am

I didn't finish the wiki. Some notes for building are needed.
For -lite versions: you can directly build them.
For full versions, you need to open sys/vip.qsys file in QSYS and then regenerate HDL files. Then you can build the sources using Quartus with Standard license. You can use free license, but it will build trial core due to MegaCore IP requiring a license.

As for Git: i will check Minimig repository. It should work as all others.

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Postby toromand » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Talking about the Wiki, (and I know there is lots of work to be done), I think it would be useful to explain the compatibility/incompatibility to MIST regarding Cores design (I know you have explained already that Linux is doing the MIST firmware "thing", but it is not enough for sure), and maybe some kind of guide for core migration from the MIST (or even other FPGA systems)? I don't know much about MIST, I went straight to MISTer - and I don't know how feasible this is, but I guess this would help getting some work off your shoulders @Sorgelig. I am aware people can go and analyse your code - but it would be much more straight forward like this.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Sure! I'm thinking about porting guide. I think i will write it after porting the current core i'm working on. It's pretty large core occupying ~80% of FPGA resources. I hope i will announce it soon.

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Postby toromand » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Sure! I'm thinking about porting guide. I think i will write it after porting the current core i'm working on. It's pretty large core occupying ~80% of FPGA resources. I hope i will announce it soon.

Sounds great! I'm already excited!

alfishe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm

toromand wrote: MIST, I went straight to MISTer - and I don't know how feasible this is, but I guess this would help getting some work off your shoulders @Sorgelig. I am aware people can go and analyse your code - but it would be much more straight forward like this.

I'm on the same boat, just started a bit earlier and already familiar with some aspects of build and development. So will add information into wiki as well.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:40 pm

New core: ao486 just released!
Enjoy the old and slow PC ))))))
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:47 pm

I had to remove SounBlaster from original ao486 due to not enough LE on DE10-nano FPGA.
Altera is cheating when counts 1xALM = 3xLE. Actually it's 1xALM = ~2xLE. So no space left for SB. Actually original readme says OPL is not fully working, so not much loss. I plan to add reduced SB support with DSP/Wave only support.
There are some other ways and other implementation of OPL2/3, but i'm not sure how this part of SB was popular, though.

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Is there network support for the cores, I guess exposed somehow from Linux... For some cases it could even emulate serial modem (ppp)
(cannot check any of this, still didn't assemble the memory add-on :( )?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

udo wrote:today I tried to clone the git of the Amiga-Core and failed with this message:

fixed

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm

toromand wrote:Is there network support for the cores, I guess exposed somehow from Linux... For some cases it could even emulate serial modem (ppp)
(cannot check any of this, still didn't assemble the memory add-on :( )?

No cores support the network currently, although it's possible to implement if you are familiar with emulated hardware. Linux part supports networking already.

toromand
Atariator
Atariator

Postby toromand » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Core implementation of serial port hooked to Linux exposed serial port should do the trick - and I guess would not be too complex, but this is something for the future, I guess, as there are more things to do before that...

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

here is the new SD card tool for Windows together with Linux update:
https://mega.nz/#F!4ZwSBS5D!_Tr2QDbCzmuEdPeYX8xTXA

You don't need to mess with Linux anymore and can use a whole SD size.
This utility is written by alfishe.
It can prepare a new SD, or simply update the Linux part only.

Please test it.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Forgot to tell: this utility is 64bit (wink to alfishe) for Win7/10 only.

alfishe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alfishe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Forgot to tell: this utility is 64bit (wink to alfishe) for Win7/10 only.

If I'll collect more than 2 persons that have 32-bit windows installed - I'll spend few more days to make universal 32/64 bit tool :D
But not until then

udo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby udo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
udo wrote:today I tried to clone the git of the Amiga-Core and failed with this message:

fixed

Thanks, works great now!

NegSol
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby NegSol » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 pm

I tested the SD Installer for Windows for updating my SD card. It worked perfectly! Thank you both for this tool.

Also great to see the ao486 port. I will dig into it on the weekend.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”